Author Topic: ESPN Firing Over A Hundred Employees Today  (Read 1834 times)

Offline SVPete

ESPN Firing Over A Hundred Employees Today
« on: April 26, 2017, 02:55:25 PM »
ESPN Firing Over A Hundred Employees Today
By Clay Travis
Apr 26, 2017 at 9:44a ET
For several years I have been writing on this site about the coming business implosion at ESPN. Today, with the announcement that over 100 on air talent at ESPN were being let go, many will finally come to realize what Outkick readers have read here for the past several years -- ESPN's business model is fundamentally broken and there is no saving it. The continuing collapse of ESPN is the biggest story in sports -- the sub-prime mortgage crisis with bouncing balls.

I don't say that to gloat over ESPN employees who lost their jobs today -- many of them are outstanding people who regularly read this site or listen to our Outkick broadcasts, some of them are also good friends -- and I know exactly how they feel today because I have been fired before in sports media too. Six years ago I, along with the entire staff, was fired from FanHouse. ...

The people being fired at ESPN today aren't being fired because they are bad at their jobs, they're being fired because ESPN's business is collapsing. That collapse has been aided by ESPN's absurd decision to turn into MSESPN, a left wing sports network, but that's more a symptom of the collapse than it is a cause of the collapse. ESPN's business is collapsing and the network is desperately trying to find a way to stay above water. ... ESPN going left wing was like giving a drowning person a big rock to hold and thinking it would keep them from drowning. Instead, it just made them sink even faster.

As tantalizing as it is to blame ESPN's fall on ESPN going political, the start of their fall does seem to have predated their going political. The linked article details how subscription losses have made overpaid longterm contracts a fixed cost burden that threatens ESPN's survival. In that context, going political looks like a straw-grasping effort that has backfired, accellerating ESPN's fall.

ESPN's going political took the form of a hard left turn, but I'm not sure a hard right turn would have fared much better. Seriously! Who tunes in a sports show hoping to hear political commentary, even commentary with which one agrees? Not that a hard right turn would have been thinkable in the entertainment industry.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SVPete

Re: ESPN Firing Over A Hundred Employees Today
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 02:59:07 PM »
Being laid off sucks! I wouldn't wish it on anybody ....... well, maybe excepting a chronic jerk like Keithie (Olbermann).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 03:34:01 PM »
Being laid off sucks! I wouldn't wish it on anybody ....... well, maybe excepting a chronic jerk like Keithie (Olbermann).

There could be a bit of politics involved.  Mostly it regards overbidding on sports broadcast rights.  Cutting the proverbial cord, other networks who specialize in the major sports.  Giant combo of things.

Jayson Stark (baseball writer) is the biggest cut to me personally.  Several other familiar personalities as well. 
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 03:35:08 PM »

And Keef is already gone, trying to head up the "Resistance" movement with a GQ podcast.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 03:56:35 PM »
As tantalizing as it is to blame ESPN's fall on ESPN going political, the start of their fall does seem to have predated their going political.

Yeah, I think the whole point about the business model being the problem is basically correct.  If they're letting 100 on-air go, I expect there are also ripple effects in the rest of the supporting staff, too.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 03:59:39 PM »
If Joe Buck remains employed, then this is meaningless to me. :mad:

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 05:04:31 PM »
I don't know when it all started going-south over at that network.  Lotsa accumulating little things...

Zillions of little things, attacking like cancer-cells.

The earliest were the mindset that all sports began in 1960.  Along with television.  And only the East Coast media mattered. 

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 06:17:16 PM »
If Joe Buck remains employed, then this is meaningless to me. :mad:

Isn't he with Fox?
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 06:33:12 PM »
Isn't he with Fox?

Oops. My dislike of him blinded me.  :panic:

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 07:49:00 AM »
The Top 5 Reasons ESPN's Ratings Are in Freefall
BY JEFF REYNOLDS
MARCH 21, 2017
This new report comes mere months after a report showing that ESPN is losing subscribers at an alarming rate. In November 2016, ESPN lost over 600,000 subscribers, its worst month ever. ESPN has historically been a workhorse performer, one of the most successful cable channels of all time. Driven by live events, previously unavailable sports updates, an offbeat delivery, and compelling content, ESPN reached must-watch status and stayed there for a couple of decades. At the height of their popularity, in 2011, ESPN was available in over 100 million homes. A few years ago, however, the tide began to ebb. As of December 2016, that number had dropped to 88.4 million -- a steady, inexorable decline.

This has resulted in a precipitous drop in ad revenue at ESPN and its corporate parent company, Disney. This is what is driving the next round of layoffs.

The reasons for this collapse are multifaceted. Let's examine the top reasons for the decline of ESPN.

1. Cutting the cord
2. Bad programming
3. Agenda-driven programming
4. Overpayment for rights fees
5. Ratings for live sporting events are down

I'm not a big fan of Top 5 (7, 10, etc,) Things You Should Know artciles, as they tend to be click-bait. But PJMedia uses them well, as quick informative once-over summaries. Other than items 2 and 3 being combinable into "Stupid Programming Choices", this one is pretty informative.

1. Cutting the cord is a problem for ESPN, but not just because of subscriber losses. ESPN manglement failed to recognize, over a period of about 5 years, what was happening and failed to respond. I don't reflexively condemn high manglement salaries, because good manglement, among other things, recognizes changes and problems and customer choices and adjusts/re-positions their company in response, and even anticipation. ESPN's manglement failed to keep their business model current, let alone to offer customers innovations that created demand. Two of my five layoffs were due to exactly this kind of manglement failure, so this is a sore topic for me.

Stupid Programming Choices, especially 3. Agenda-driven programming, is probably the most perceptible among conservatives. The intent was to create edgy, compelling programming. The effect of going political was to alienate a large percentage of ESPN's audience (1/3? 1/2? More?!). This is a double blindness: not understanding their audience, generally; tantrumming against the particular Trump Trend.

5. Ratings for live sporting events are down particularly refers to the @#$% Kaepernick stirred up. In the direct sense, that was outside of ESPN's control. But, Part 1, ESPN could have spoken to NFL manglement, saying, "Hey guys! This is hurting your and our audience! Tell them to cool it and take it off the field." But, Part 2, ESPN commentators and pundits could have made lots of noise about how the on-field tantrums were hurting game viewership. The latter didn't happen, and I doubt the former did, either.

In the end, I think 4. Overpayment for rights fees coupled with and mutually compounding 1. Cutting the cord may take ESPN down or at least into an existential crisis.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 10:30:51 AM »
Long time ESPN broadcaster Linda Cohn essentially credits it to politics.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/27/sportscenter-anchor-agrees-politics-are-hurting-espn/

ESPN’s sweeping staff cuts are not just the result of ambitious TV rights deals and an overburdened budget, popular “SportsCenter” anchor Linda Cohn suggested Thursday.

The network may be losing subscriber revenue not just because of cord-cutting, Cohn allowed, but because viewers are increasingly turned off by ESPN inserting politics into its sports coverage.

“That is definitely a percentage of it,” Cohn said Thursday on 77 WABC’s “Bernie and Sid” show when asked whether certain social or political stances contributed to the stupor that resulted in roughly 100 employees getting the ax this week. “I don’t know how big a percentage, but if anyone wants to ignore that fact, they’re blind.”

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 11:43:42 AM »
Too many factors come to play that went against ESPN. I think cord cutters and politics are a major factor.

People are cutting cable as it is expensive and people do not watch all the channels. Why spend the money on cable when you can just stream it through the Internet with something like Roku. Cable companies are stuck in the 1990s and have not changed. Cable companies do not offer al a carte in which people can choose what channels they want. I have yet to see that happening. Than again, many people get cable because of sports channels.

People want to watch sports, not hear political lectures by sports casters. Sports is suppose to be a refuge from life. Politicizing of sports is very off putting. People want to hear what the players are doing and all things sports. Nothing more.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:04:32 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 11:54:27 AM »
Long time ESPN broadcaster Linda Cohn essentially credits it to politics.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/27/sportscenter-anchor-agrees-politics-are-hurting-espn/

From the link.

Cohn agreed with the argument that certain sports fans may have disapproved of the way ESPN covered polarizing figures such as Roger Goodell, Colin Kaepernick and Caitlyn Jenner.

The example used was of the 2015 ESPYs. Jenner, a former Olympic champion in the decathlon, won the prestigious Arthur Ashe Award for Courage for publicly coming out as a transgender woman. Some felt athletes suffering from disease or disability — such as college basketball player Lauren Hill, who died from cancer three months before the ceremony, and marathoner Noah Galloway, who lost an arm and a leg in the Iraq War — were more deserving.

How does Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner get an Arthur Ashe Award for Courage? I also wonder if it is because he is connected to the Kardashians. Lauren Hill or Noah Galloway deserved it way more than Jenner. Both should of gotten the award together.

Many people are now turning against Jenner.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 12:34:54 PM »
From the link.

How does Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner get an Arthur Ashe Award for Courage? I also wonder if it is because he is connected to the Kardashians. Lauren Hill or Noah Galloway deserved it way more than Jenner. Both should of gotten the award together.

Many people are now turning against Jenner.

Liberals are turning against Jenner because he/she/it is conservative.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 08:03:21 AM »
Too many factors come to play that went against ESPN. I think cord cutters and politics are a major factor.

People are cutting cable as it is expensive and people do not watch all the channels. Why spend the money on cable when you can just stream it through the Internet with something like Roku. Cable companies are stuck in the 1990s and have not changed. Cable companies do not offer al a carte in which people can choose what channels they want. I have yet to see that happening. Than again, many people get cable because of sports channels.

People want to watch sports, not hear political lectures by sports casters. Sports is suppose to be a refuge from life. Politicizing of sports is very off putting. People want to hear what the players are doing and all things sports. Nothing more.

Over-simplifying like, "The reason for _____," is very tempting and sometimes useful, but when one is talking about millions of people, well, people are more complex. In fact, I would guess that many individuals among those millions bailed on ESPN for multiple reasons. Hypothetically, it would be useful to ESPN to know the reasons and percentages for subscriber losses, but I doubt upper manglement would swallow their pride enough to make necessary and useful changes.

Well, Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize despite not having been in office long enough to know where all the bathrooms are in the WH. OTOH, the torrent of disgust and mockery - even considering it followed a partisan divide - should have been a warning against feel-good accomplishment-free awards like that.

More deserving sports accomplishments ..... just some random choices ...

... there is a trail race in California called the Western States Endurance Run. Like the Boston Marathon, one has to qualify to run it. The distance is 100 miles, and it is not flat! It starts in Squaw Valley in the heart of the Sierras and goes to Auburn, in the Sierra foothills. It's a net downhill, but there are some crazy uphill climbs, as well. One of the finishers - I believe it was in 2015 - was lady in her 70s!

... did any survivors of the 2012 Boston Marathon bombing run it in 2015?

... there are blind people who run in organized marathons such as the Rock-n-Roll Series (races with 10K-30K runners). Were there any of those in 2015?

... I'd like to suggest a finisher of the Barkley Marathons 100 mile, 60 hour trail run, but there weren't any finishers in 2015. This course map with elevation profile note that this loop is done 5 times, not just once) gives an idea why there have been 6 successful finishers since 1986.

Those - in addition to the amputee war vet you mentioned - are just a few ideas from the world of running. I respect Bruce Jenner's Olympics accomplishments. I have a feeling that had he in the late 1980s seen the info for the Barkley Marathons he would have shaken his head at the thought of trying to run it.

I'm sure there were athletes from other sports field who had similarly amazing REAL accomplishments in 2015.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 08:05:57 AM by SVPete »

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 08:10:35 AM »
Here are a few reasons why I watch far less ESPN.  Yes, I still do watch live sporting events.  But minimal other programming. 

Other specialty networks, primarily MLB Network and the Golf Channel.  There I don't have to hear ESPN's incessant slobbering over the NBA and NFL.

Many of the personalities from my younger days have left the network.  Dan Patrick, Keef Olbermann, Rich Eisen, numerous others.

Just a couple things off the top of my head.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 09:17:24 PM »
Over-simplifying like, "The reason for _____," is very tempting and sometimes useful, but when one is talking about millions of people, well, people are more complex. In fact, I would guess that many individuals among those millions bailed on ESPN for multiple reasons. Hypothetically, it would be useful to ESPN to know the reasons and percentages for subscriber losses, but I doubt upper manglement would swallow their pride enough to make necessary and useful changes.

Well, Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize despite not having been in office long enough to know where all the bathrooms are in the WH. OTOH, the torrent of disgust and mockery - even considering it followed a partisan divide - should have been a warning against feel-good accomplishment-free awards like that.

More deserving sports accomplishments ..... just some random choices ...

... there is a trail race in California called the Western States Endurance Run. Like the Boston Marathon, one has to qualify to run it. The distance is 100 miles, and it is not flat! It starts in Squaw Valley in the heart of the Sierras and goes to Auburn, in the Sierra foothills. It's a net downhill, but there are some crazy uphill climbs, as well. One of the finishers - I believe it was in 2015 - was lady in her 70s!

... did any survivors of the 2012 Boston Marathon bombing run it in 2015?

... there are blind people who run in organized marathons such as the Rock-n-Roll Series (races with 10K-30K runners). Were there any of those in 2015?

... I'd like to suggest a finisher of the Barkley Marathons 100 mile, 60 hour trail run, but there weren't any finishers in 2015. This course map with elevation profile note that this loop is done 5 times, not just once) gives an idea why there have been 6 successful finishers since 1986.

Those - in addition to the amputee war vet you mentioned - are just a few ideas from the world of running. I respect Bruce Jenner's Olympics accomplishments. I have a feeling that had he in the late 1980s seen the info for the Barkley Marathons he would have shaken his head at the thought of trying to run it.

I'm sure there were athletes from other sports field who had similarly amazing REAL accomplishments in 2015.

I never quite got why Barack Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize to begin with. It was originally for sciences, not for politics. It is like giving Nobel Peace Prize as a participation award, which ruins it.

The Western States Endurance Run sounds really hard core. I thought 26 miles is a lot right there!  :o
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du