Author Topic: DUmmies worry about Karma for Reid in senate.  (Read 769 times)

Offline thundley4

DUmmies worry about Karma for Reid in senate.
« on: November 04, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »
YarnAddict (1,332 posts)  Tue Nov 4, 2014, 01:08 PM

Senate rules question

I don't think I've seen this issue addressed anywhere.

When the Senate changes hands, do the rules "reset" to a default setting, or do any changes made in the previous Senate continue?

As an example: If (and I hooooooooooooope there's no reason to worry about this) the R's take over, will Majority Leader Reid's rules regarding the filibuster still apply? Or if McTurtle wants to limit the filibuster in the same way, will they have to do the vote all over again? If they want to do that, I hope that they will have to make the same kind of public stand as the D's did.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025756326

YarnAddict (1,332 posts)
3. I see

If they take the Senate, their base will expect a bloodbath over things like this.

The Senate is a legislative body and as such the ultimate authority to determine rules rests with a simple majority of senators.

That being said, it's also a body that has operated on various 'gentlemen's agreements' for over two centuries.

Gentlemen's agreement dictates they don't change the rules without a supermajority. Reid broke the Gentlemen's agreement for the first time last year. Although, Bill Frist nearly broke it back in 2005, and would have if some moderate Democrats hadn't stepped in and agreed to give him everything he wanted.

So, if the Republicans take control this year, it's up to them whether the rules change or not.

Not to worry DUmmies. Mitch Milquetoast McConnell will let the Dems have a seat at the table, unlike Dingy Harry "the pederast" Reid.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: DUmmies worry about Karma for Reid in senate.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 02:48:41 PM »
The rule change would not benefit the GOP for the next two years, only the party that holds the Presidency (And a slim majority of the Senate) benefits from the rule change Reid made.  In all other scenarios, it does not matter.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 02:53:05 PM »
The rule change would not benefit the GOP for the next two years, only the party that holds the Presidency (And a slim majority of the Senate) benefits from the rule change Reid made.  In all other scenarios, it does not matter.

While true I imagine Obama, so eager to be done with the WH  and reluctant to engage in a protracted political fight over nominations, tossing out a nominee that is acceptable to GOP but one the Dems would oppose tooth and toenail only to see the GOP confirm.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 02:53:44 PM »
That rule change opened the door to voiding the filibuster. If the GOP voids the filibuster it will be one of the unintended consequences of the libs voiding centuries of precedent.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 02:59:18 PM »
That rule change opened the door to voiding the filibuster. If the GOP voids the filibuster it will be one of the unintended consequences of the libs voiding centuries of precedent.

That's the theory, but in practice they ultimately did NOT void the filibuster in the general case, just for nominees.  It would be a huge strategic error to think that a GOP Majority Leader now has a blank check to take it to that next level, on a par with the way Gingrich overplayed his hand as House Majority Leader. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »
As an example: If (and I hooooooooooooope there's no reason to worry about this) the R's take over, will Majority Leader Reid's rules regarding the filibuster still apply?

Why would this cause you any reason to Worry DUmmy?  Are you implying that pederast reid's rules regarding the filibuster are intended to harm or disadvantage the minority party?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 04:05:44 PM »
While a Senate victory would be sweet bitch slap at Obama, it will not result in much unless they withhold funding from key areas.  Obama can still veto things but he can get pretty hungry if they don't fund his groceries.   'Course Moochelle could grow all the food they need in her garden.  :rofl:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 06:02:14 PM »
Obama can still veto things but he can get pretty hungry if they don't fund his groceries.   'Course Moochelle could grow all the food they need in her garden.  :rofl:

Does Arugula and $100 a pound beef grow in cesspools like DC?

Unfortunately for us, I'm pretty sure that Obama already has the measure of Majority Leader [ B]itch McConnell, (R)INO - KY, and I'd guess that he's reasonably comfortable on the odds that [ B]itch will never have the balls to actually pull the trigger on closing Obama's monopoly money account.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline ROCKURWORLD

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 06:10:38 AM »
I really hope the Rino doesn't get the leadership. I will be calling my senators about that.