Author Topic: Bin Laden son wants to be peace activist  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Bin Laden son wants to be peace activist
« on: January 17, 2008, 07:16:29 PM »
Bin Laden son wants to be peace activist

By PAUL SCHEMM, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 13 minutes ago

CAIRO, Egypt - Omar Osama bin Laden bears a striking resemblance to his notorious father — except for the dreadlocks that dangle halfway down his back. Then there's the black leather biker jacket. The 26-year-old does not renounce his father, al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, but in an interview with The Associated Press, he said there is better way to defend Islam than militancy: Omar wants to be an "ambassador for peace" between Muslims and the West.
Omar — one of bin Laden's 19 children — raised a tabloid storm last year when he married a 52-year-old British woman, Jane Felix-Browne, who took the name Zaina Alsabah. Now the couple say they want to be advocates, planning a 3,000-mile horse race across North Africa to draw attention to the cause of peace.

<snip>

The couple has applied for a visa to Britain. And they are planning their endurance horse race across North Africa, which they hope to start in March. It is in the planning stages — they are seeking approval of governments along the route and need sponsors to help pay for the event and raise money for child victims of war.

Omar said they plan to ride 30 miles a day, with periodic weeklong rests in each country.

Teams from around the world will be encouraged to join in what the couple envisions as an equine version of the Paris-Dakar car rally. That rally was canceled this year due to fears over terrorist threats made by al-Qaida-affiliated groups in North Africa.

Omar, however, said he isn't worried.

"I heard the rally was stopped because of al-Qaida," he said. "I don't think they are going to stop me."

:whatever: Beheadings to follow......

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female

Offline lizard

Re: Bin Laden son wants to be peace activist
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 03:00:08 AM »
I wonder what Omar's DUmmie name is?  :-)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 11:35:24 PM »
Right............
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 12:21:27 PM »
CAIRO, Egypt - Omar Osama bin Laden bears a striking resemblance to his notorious father — except for the dreadlocks that dangle halfway down his back. Then there's the black leather biker jacket. The 26-year-old does not renounce his father, al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, but in an interview with The Associated Press, he said there is better way to defend Islam than militancy: Omar wants to be an "ambassador for peace" between Muslims and the West.

I am not impressed. Omar Bin Laden's statement that militancy is not the best way to defend Islam is tantamount to a renouncement of Osama Bin Laden and al Qaeda, but he is going to have to be much more overt in his renouncement if he expects me to take him seriously.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas