Author Topic: Thompson criticizes appeal to Saudis  (Read 1693 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Thompson criticizes appeal to Saudis
« on: January 17, 2008, 04:34:10 PM »
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Appealing to Saudi Arabia to encourage higher oil production to help lower prices is not in the long-term interest of the United States, Republican presidential candidate Fred Thompson said on Wednesday.

The White House said President George W. Bush hopes that as a result of his talks this week with King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, OPEC would be encouraged to increase production to help alleviate high oil prices, which have touched $100 a barrel.

Appearing on CNN, Thompson was asked whether, as president, he would turn to Saudi Arabia for help as Bush did.

Thompson, a former Tennessee senator, said the problem was a "little bigger" than Saudi Arabia.

"It's not in the United States' long-term interest to go hat in hand begging people to do things that in the end we know they're not going to do," Thompson said.

"What we need to concentrate on is diversifying our own energy sources here in this country and opening up what oil reserves that we have here ... using nuclear more, using clean coal technology more and all the other things that we can do," Thompson said.
http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN1615502520080117

Sorry for all of the Fredbot posts!  :-)

Fred Thompson: Like Ron Paul except without all of the crazy, insane followers, conspiracy theories or racism.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
Re: Thompson criticizes appeal to Saudis
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 05:00:49 PM »
Well he is right. We should be more energy independent.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
Re: Thompson criticizes appeal to Saudis
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 05:09:16 PM »
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Appealing to Saudi Arabia to encourage higher oil production to help lower prices is not in the long-term interest of the United States, Republican presidential candidate Fred Thompson said on Wednesday.

The White House said President George W. Bush hopes that as a result of his talks this week with King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, OPEC would be encouraged to increase production to help alleviate high oil prices, which have touched $100 a barrel.

Appearing on CNN, Thompson was asked whether, as president, he would turn to Saudi Arabia for help as Bush did.

Thompson, a former Tennessee senator, said the problem was a "little bigger" than Saudi Arabia.

"It's not in the United States' long-term interest to go hat in hand begging people to do things that in the end we know they're not going to do," Thompson said.

"What we need to concentrate on is diversifying our own energy sources here in this country and opening up what oil reserves that we have here ... using nuclear more, using clean coal technology more and all the other things that we can do," Thompson said.
http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN1615502520080117

Sorry for all of the Fredbot posts!  :-)

Fred Thompson: Like Ron Paul except without all of the crazy, insane followers, conspiracy theories or racism.

If you don't like Thompson then you are a neocon.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.