Author Topic: What's the shortest time on the job before getting fired  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
What's the shortest time on the job before getting fired
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:22:38 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018324467

ohiosmith (22,291 posts)

View profile
What's the shortest period of time you've held a job? I quit my consulting gig this morning after
less than 48 hours!

I don't think that that qualifies for unemployment bennies.

hobbit709 (25,221 posts)
1. Started at 8, walked out at noon. Never looked back.

HoneychildMooseMoss (69 posts)
35. I can beat that

View profile
I had an industrial cleaning job once where the supervisor complained, in the most unpleasant way, about every little thing. "Hey, you! You missed this tiny spot on the stair railing! You're never going to amount to a hill of beans, you know that?"

Started at 8:00, walked out at 8:30.

What a retard. Can't even do a janitor's job.

Broken_Hero (58,894 posts)
60. I got the same record....

View profile
started at 8am at a mail house near down town Sacramento, left at noon. I can fully understand why some postal workers go crazy...

graywarrior (56,609 posts)
5. That's awesome!

View profile
I had a temp job as a key puncher in Boston that lasted 4 hours.

graywarrior (56,609 posts)
10. I lied my way into the job coz I was desperate

View profile
They figured it out in a few minutes. I left for lunch and never went back.

:lol: Thinking that everyone is as DUmb as she is.

rocktivity (36,373 posts)
9. Three days

View profile

Last edited Wed Mar 6, 2013, 08:16 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
the alternative was ending up in jail for punching someone.

Bet you ended up in jail for other things though.

femmocrat (13,317 posts)
16. About an hour?

View profile
The (male) owner of a women's clothing store in our town hired me to model the fashions for customers. I was in the dressing room trying things on and his wife came in and fired me! She gave me the old, "You're a nice girl, but..... " speech. Looking back, she probably did me a huge favor.

You probably should have bathed before trying on the clothes. They had to donate them to the Salvation Army because they couldn't get the stink out.

And now a bouncy.

BlueJazz (17,484 posts)
17. 2 Hours 20 minutes. Answered an Ad: "Good pay---Fast paced--work with wonderful people"

View profile
Started job, took me back to a loading dock, had to load 110 lb boxes OVER MY HEAD, other men were nasty and shitty cause I could only do 7 boxes per minute...they could do 9-10.
"Good pay" was minimum wage.

After 2 hours 20 minutes...told them they were ****ing crazy and their employer was a slave driver.

It was Nike=== There's more I found out but I'll let it slide...

By the way...found sales "stuff" in trailer...each shoe cost about 7 bucks. (what a shitty company)

Funny...just thinking about it pisses me off.

Sekhmets Daughter (4,960 posts)
21. 2 .5 hours...of paid training

View profile
figured out it was a scam, ... at break took my purse and headed for my car.

NoGOPZone (2,580 posts)
24. Two hours. They wanted me to sign some unbelievably restricting

View profile
non disclosure and non compete agreements and balked when I insisted on a copy.

kwassa (15,188 posts)
26. One day

View profile
summer job in college.

Working with a roofing company on the roof of my old high school

Working with hot tar and raking gravel with the sun baking off the roof in high heat.

No regrets on that one.

Sounds like one of those jobs that Americans won't do.

Gidney N Cloyd (10,148 posts)
34. 3 days. High School summer job working suburb road maintenance.

View profile
They mixed us kids in with the regulars into street crews of 4-6 workers. The regulars were such (Unionized) shiftless slackers, showing us how to do the absolute minimum each day, I felt like I was stealing money and figured I would have been fired soon for it anyway so I quit.

Why? That's a job where one person works and the other six stand around watching.

NightWatcher (19,893 posts)
45. 2 hours. I never got thru training at McD's

View profile
I found out I was hired by another place that I had put in for. I never even was issued a uniform.

kurtzapril4 (1,127 posts)
71. My very first job

View profile
was at a Brown's Chicken. All the boss did, during the entire time he was training me, was yell. I walked out the second day at break, and never looked back.

Another bad job I had was at a printing company. I was a pressman, and I made good money. But the boss was very, very "aggro." You'd know what kind of day it would be when he'd come in, in the morning. If his hair was messy and sticking straight up, and his face was red....it was gonna be a bad day. For you. I worked there about 2 weeks. I asked one of my co-workers "Does he always yell and scream?" and she said, "oh, you'll get used to it. He doesn't mean it...it's an Italian thing." I went out for my lunch break that day, and I never went back.

Why do adults in positions of responsibility see fit to yell at other adults? Jeebus!

Find out the difference between a X and a Y manager. X managers are required to supervise DUmmies.

HereSince1628 (25,795 posts)
79. I got fired within 6 minutes of reporting

View profile
to a job 18 months ago.

The pay was $1.48 per hour. Really. It was through Veterans Administration

I objected to the overt gang culture permeating the workplace.

Someone is lying, I do believe.

steve2470 (14,103 posts)
80. 72 hours maybe ?

View profile
I had a gig many years ago selling portfolios to new photo models.

Total scam.

Walked out after 3 days or so. God I was so naive.

Nothing has changed.

Earth Bound Misfit (2,932 posts)
85. 3 hrs- Wally-World, Nov 1994

View profile
when they started the anti-Union propaganda film, I got up and walked out.

tammywammy (18,195 posts)
87. I worked one night as a cocktail waitress. Never went back. n/t

Damn cheapass drunks. Nary a one gave it a tip.

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: What's the shortest time on the job before getting fired
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:43:51 AM »
Oh, you guys...such silliness!

We know none of you have ever held a job.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:49:50 AM »
And they wonder why they are poor. I've worked at several places where it was common for the new guy to go to lunch and not come back. So I have seen DUmmies in person before.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Karin

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 09:52:28 AM »
That's why you ask thoughtful questions on the interview, DUmbasses. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:53:42 AM »
Not surprising.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:54:02 AM »
What's the shortest time on the job before getting fired

What the DUmmy is really asking is how long does it take for the results of a piss test to come back.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 10:04:14 AM »
No wonder they want minimum wage increased.  It's the only jobs they can get.

I haven't worked a minimum wage job since I was in college.  Not to say that I wouldn't if it came down to it.  But here in Middle TN even Taco Bell and such start at $9.00 per hour.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 10:13:14 AM »
This may put me in a similar category with the Dummies, but I had a job for less than 2 or 3 hours once.

Back when I was in high school I applied for a delivery job with Dominos Pizza.

For my first night they stuck me with an experienced delivery person so I could learn the ropes. She had an old beat up car. On our first delivery she tore out like Richard Petty on drugs. I was a little bit scared.

Our second delivery was on the other side of the railroad tracks. She jumped the RR tracks without slowing down. When hit the ground the headlights went out, but she didn't slow down. It was pitch black, and she was still driving what seemed to be wide open. I mentioned that the head lights were out. She said that I shouldn't worry because they would come back on when we hit another bump. Sure enough. We hit a bump that bounced my head into the roof, and the head lights came back on. By now I was terrified.

After that delivery I promised God if He'd get me safely through the night that I wouldn't be back. He did, and I didn't go back.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »
No wonder they want minimum wage increased.  It's the only jobs they can get.

I haven't worked a minimum wage job since I was in college.  Not to say that I wouldn't if it came down to it.  But here in Middle TN even Taco Bell and such start at $9.00 per hour.

Other than my first job at McDonald's I have always made above the min wage.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline hillneck

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 10:15:41 AM »
The worthlessness of the DUmmies never cease to amaze me.
In battle you have to show no mercy for mercy comes after the war when you still have the freedom to ask for it.

"Montani Semper Liberi"

Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »
We were building a tank west of Ft. Worth in the late 80's when this Indian guy walked onto the job asking if we needed welders.  We told him we did and the foreman asked if he could take the heat.  This was one of the hottest jobs I had ever worked on, no lie.

The guy kind of laughed and said "I grew up in the West Indies, of course I can take the heat!"  We hired him on around 11:00 am and he climbed up on top of the tank with me. 

I had 5 gallon buckets of water on top of the tank with me that I was sticking my feet into every 10 or 15 minutes so I could stand on the metal while I was welding.  It was THAT hot.

This guy welded side by side with me for about 3 hours, both of us using the buckets to keep our feet cooled off.  At the end of the 3 hours he said "I am going to climb down, I'm too hot."  I told him yeah, it's hot, it takes a little to get used to it.  Go on down and get you some water and sit in the shade for a few.  Don't let yourself get heat stroke.

He looked at me and said "I don't think you understand, I'm not coming back, it's TOO F*CKING HOT!"  (all of this in a very heavy Indian accent).

I told him well the foreman is gone so let me get your address so he can mail you a check.  And this is where I know the guy wasn't a DUmmie, he said "No, I said I could do the job and I can't.  You don't owe me anything." 

He packed up his welding gear and walked off the job to never be seen again.

True story.  If any of you have ever driven by Wynn's Climate Control on the west side of Ft. Worth the tank out beside the building is where that happened.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 10:30:43 AM »

What the DUmmy is really asking is how long does it take for the results of a piss test to come back.

Don't laugh--I saw more than one kid get booted out of DEP based on a hot piss test.  Don't even ask about MOT.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 10:34:37 AM »
::)

Only at the DUmp...
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 10:40:18 AM »
kwassa (15,188 posts)
26. One day

View profile
summer job in college.

Working with a roofing company on the roof of my old high school

Working with hot tar and raking gravel with the sun baking off the roof in high heat.

No regrets on that one.

You are such a *****.  The guys are out building houses today, in the rain.  Our house was built in the middle of summer.  Those guys were working, sweating their asses off in 110+ degree weather and I didn't hear any complaining.  Personally, I cannot do stuff like that because I'd probably pass out from heat exhaustion.  My husband has a job where he works outdoors.  He's outside in the rain today, in high winds a couple of days ago, and he also has to work outdoors when it's well over 110 degrees.  He doesn't come home whining like a baby either.  He takes a second shower after work in the summer and usually relaxes with a beer.  He's been doing this job for eight years now.  He never ever complains.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 10:49:37 AM »
...and this is why they need the nanny state.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 10:53:53 AM »
"What's the shortest time you've ever been on government assistance?" would be an interesting question to pose to the primtives.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 10:54:29 AM »
What ever happened to that broad StellaBlue that walked out after a few hours at a desk job because of the fluorescent lights?
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 10:57:03 AM »
"What's the shortest time you've ever been on government assistance?" would be an interesting question to pose to the primtives.

^5!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Tucker

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 11:15:24 AM »

On DU2, there was step by step instructions on how to get disability.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 11:16:27 AM »
What ever happened to that broad StellaBlue that walked out after a few hours at a desk job because of the fluorescent lights?

You mean after she got booted out of England?

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »
You mean after she got booted out of England?

Booted out of England after getting booted out of the "boyfriends" life.  I believe she moved to Texas and for some reason could not adjust.  If I were to bet she is probably now on SSDI due to some mental problem.

NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Tucker

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 12:00:27 PM »
Booted out of England after getting booted out of the "boyfriends" life.  I believe she moved to Texas and for some reason could not adjust.  If I were to bet she is probably now on SSDI due to some mental problem.

She was advertising in personal ads for a new boyfriend who lived in England.

It's been years (old home) since I've heard anything about her. Her family was well off financially.

She had a new moniker at the DUmp. Franks knows what it was. He told me but I lost it on my old computer.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 12:20:48 PM »

I've pulled two unemployment checks since the age of 16.

Offline Silverhair

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 01:16:11 PM »

Nowadays employers can get instant results.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 03:28:52 PM »
We had one kid get hired and went through the training and got his uniforms to work in. Reports to the gate where i am at about 4pm to start training and 20 minutes after i left he decides that watching dump trucks go in and out and standing in the not so hot sun as I had to deal with was to much.  By the time I had gotten home and changed clothes and i went with mom and dad to eat a nice steak I get a call to go back to relive our new hire because he had quit. So I go back there and hear the news of what happened and spend another 6 hours at work and have to be there again at 6am. I got maybe 4-5 hours of sleep that night and spent anoher 12 hours at work. Some peoples kids I swear.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"