Author Topic: subway cat has rabbits  (Read 2029 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
subway cat has rabbits
« on: June 06, 2008, 08:20:20 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x7804200

Oh my.

This bonfire was relocated from General Discussion on Skins's island, perhaps to lessen the chances we would see it.

undergroundpanther  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Jun-06-08 07:14 PM
Original message

Rabbit nest on my porch..

At my house, my front porch has two stone columns on either side of the stoop with vines in them and solar lights. One side now has a rabbit nest in it. Today the little ones were out,OMG they are so friggin CUTE.

I snapped some pics with my camera phone of the porch nest, and two shots of one of the baby rabbits.There were three sitting under the vines today,the other two were better hid so harder to photograph more rabbits were hiding in the little burrow they had dug into my porch box.I dunno how many rabbits are in there it is definitely more than 3.

Thought y'all might like to see it so I put it in GD..I for one cannot figure out how momma got up there.And why would she choose to nest by a door we come in and out of all day? Yesterday we had a big storm ,rain was rushing off the eaves into the porch nest.So I threw a tarp over it so the water would not flood them . They stayed dry, took it off after the storms were over.And the baby lettuces I put in the corner there are being eaten up.

So maybe mother rabbit knows I am not gonna mess with her babes . I am cool with the rabbits in the yard. I leave stuff out for them and all the critters and some of the rabbits they have gotten bold enough to take baby carrots from my hand.

There's photographs of the rabbits, and one photograph of the subway cat's considerably decorated arm, at the bonfire on Skins's island.

I dunno what to think of this; remember, the subway cat's the one who shuts her pet cat up in a cage to "punish" it, which does nothing other than to terrorize a poor cat.  One wonders what she might do with baby rabbits, to teach them discipline.

undergroundpanther  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Jun-06-08 07:42 PM
Response to Reply #2

10. I'm not tending them

Their mom is there,she disappears for awhile, than in the evening she's back on her nest so nobody uses the front door after sunset. I know what to do though,Been doing animal rehab a while.I Got squirrels once and because squirrels have such tricky nutrition issues I gave those three to a more experienced rehabber..My cats are indoor and well trained to stay ON the threshold.unless they got a harness and leash..So the cats won't get them..

Here are the three squirrels When I can I take pics of the animals that I end up helping out and who enter my life,I love them all even if they only end up staying two hours.

Ohmigod.  The subway cat's got squirrels too.  Poor squirrels.

More photographs.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: subway cat has rabbits
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 08:51:08 PM »
A Pentagram tatooed on her (?) hand,now there is a surprise. :whatever:

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
In a few months, I'd call'em lunch.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 09:04:25 PM »

Yeah, I have no clue why she can't get a job.  :uhsure:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 11:19:18 PM »
If those animals only knew they would run...far away... :censored:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 12:51:20 AM by Bondai »

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 12:07:41 AM »
DU should be called Bunny Lovers Underground. **** bunnies to Hell.  :bird:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 12:16:47 AM »
Journalgrrl  (427 posts)       Fri Jun-06-08 08:33 PM
Response to Original message
20. thanks, I needed that "awwww" moment! 
 I raised rabbits when I was a kid, started with 2 and soon had over 13...
They stayed in a hutch at the little hawaiian man's house around the corner...and I would run over there every day after school to feed them and play with them. (I had also named all his chickens)
My friend & I would let them loose and lay in the grass on the hillside with them hopping all around...so DAMN cute!

Warm fuzzy memories and pics, thanks

and thank YOU for being such a animal guardian, too. In the Medicine Cards, the totem of rabbit is about fear. and the softness of the heart is what overcomes that fear. Good message today and I'd dare to say a good omen that they chose you  

Ptarmigan your fear is just in the cards!!!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 01:15:41 AM »

I'm curious about the other tattoos that can be seen. Are they part of her "cat stripes"?

And as a SheMalePersonCat shouldn't she be batting the little rabbits and squirrels around with her paw instead of taking pictures?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 01:31:11 AM »
Oh rabbits - I thought the title read rabies.
Darn...
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 06:20:13 AM »
Oh rabbits - I thought the title read rabies.
Darn...

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: H5 for making me snort so early in the morning!
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline InfamousAndy

• Just Off Probation
  • The Friendly Christian
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 07:06:12 AM »

I'm curious about the other tattoos that can be seen. Are they part of her "cat stripes"?

And as a SheMalePersonCat shouldn't she be batting the little rabbits and squirrels around with her paw instead of taking pictures?

Yeah... my REAL cat would toy with & hunt the rabbits.  He would then try to share the kill with our family.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 09:59:21 AM »
In a few months, I'd call'em lunch.
Bring me some Hoshenfeffer!  :lmao:
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 12:52:36 PM »

It has a MySpace page.  With pictures.

It is hideous.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 12:53:19 PM »
undergroundpanther  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Jun-06-08 07:42 PM
Response to Reply #2

10. I'm not tending them

Their mom is there,she disappears for awhile, than in the evening she's back on her nest so nobody uses the front door after sunset. I know what to do though,Been doing animal rehab a while.I Got squirrels once and because squirrels have such tricky nutrition issues I gave those three to a more experienced rehabber..My cats are indoor and well trained to stay ON the threshold.unless they got a harness and leash..So the cats won't get them..

Here are the three squirrels When I can I take pics of the animals that I end up helping out and who enter my life,I love them all even if they only end up staying two hours

Actually this is quite normal and domestic rabbits do it too. Does only nurse twice a day (usually around dusk and dawn) and stays away for the rest of the time. This is done on purpose so as not to attract predators to the nest. What UGP is doing is actually endangering the kits. It's a good bet if squirrels can find the lettuce so can raccoons and skunks...both of which would like nothing more than to have a nice tender rabbit to go with their salad. At this point those babies are totally defenseless and one predator could wipe out the entire litter in just a few minutes. It isn't pretty and if you've ever heard a rabbit scream you never want to hear it again. The mother rabbit knows when it's time for her kits to start eating solid food. At that time she will introduce them to the big wide world and teach them how to be safe as well. Covering the area with a tarp to keep rain off them is one thing...drawing predators is another.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams