Author Topic: Do we REALLY need to know the numbers...?  (Read 1516 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Do we REALLY need to know the numbers...?
« on: June 06, 2008, 05:30:11 PM »
Journalgrrl  (425 posts)       Fri Jun-06-08 05:50 PM
Original message
Do we REALLY need to know the numbers...? 
 Advertisements [?]I could have told you that January started a steep downturn in my personal economy. This has also affected my employability, as a result causing my physical and mental health to crash...

But that is beside the point.
~~~~~~~~

AP
Biggest jobless jump since '86 -- Wall Street sinks
Friday June 6, 4:17 pm ET
By Jeannine Aversa, AP Economics Writer
Jobless rate zooms to biggest increase in decades; stocks plunge nearly 400 points

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Pink slips piled up and jobs disappeared into thin air in May as the nation's unemployment rate zoomed to 5.5 percent in the biggest one-month jump in decades. Wall Street swooned, and the White House said President Bush was considering new proposals to revive the economy.
-snip-

How about increasing the amount we should get in our stimulus checks? I know I could use it!

-snip-
The White House snapped into crisis-management mode. The president is now considering further plans to help energize the economy, which had already been teetering on the edge of recession, said counselor Ed Gillespie. Bush acknowledged, "This is a time of turbulence in the housing market and slow growth for our overall economy."
-snip-

no shit sherlock.
I can't keep our house running, how can i make any payments on any debt or try to get ahead? i actually had to close my checking acct this week because the little fees were sending me into the overdraft spiral and I don't have any money to spare.

... I guess it just galls me that so MANY of us are just hanging by a thread, and the economists and "Wall Street" is still debating over the issue of a recession. Would they believe we are at a borderline depression if we started gathering torches and pitchforks?

I am tired of feeling bad and struggling. I just want to feel like I can take a breath - without getting plowed over by the next crisis in my life.
Can we make it till January? I really think that the goal is for bush to just destroy it all before November, then the election will be easy to steal....or they can dump the mess in Barack's lap.

Meanwhile, my family & I are still hanging by a thread.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=114x39307

A word of advice, the police may be armed with something more effective than pitchforks ...

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: Do we REALLY need to know the numbers...?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 05:35:24 PM »
Biggest jump since '86? .....and Dems took control of Congress in '07? Coincidence?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
Wasn't '86 the election year that the NeoComs took control of the Senate, and thus secured both houses of Congress?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 05:46:39 PM »
Hey DUmmy!

Here's a thread you should try hanging by...

H5 and ditto!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 05:48:04 PM »
Oh my.

Another exhibition of narcissism by the primitives.

It's not the overall situation that matters; it's only the personal situation that matters.

In my whole life, there's been times I've enjoyed worse times than everybody else (and the reverse being true, too), but just because things were lousy for me, I didn't think things in general were lousy.

I thought the primitives were the "big picture" people.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 05:49:41 PM »
Oh my.

Another exhibition of narcissism by the primitives.

It's not the overall situation that matters; it's only the personal situation that matters.

In my whole life, there's been times I've enjoyed worse times than everybody else (and the reverse being true, too), but just because things were lousy for me, I didn't think things in general were lousy.

I thought the primitives were the "big picture" people.

Coach, it's only if those "eeeeevil Repukes" are doing worse than they are.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 07:34:35 PM »
Quote from:
Journalgrrl 

....or they can dump the mess in Barack's lap.

They're already making excuses for his incompetence, and he's not even elected.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline jukin

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 08:08:49 PM »
We all told them that the economic bad news the DUchebags wished for so that a change in power would happen would hurt them the very worst.

In my consulting business, recessions are the best of times.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 09:57:11 AM »
A great way to tell how things are going economically in an area is to check how the hiring of law enforcement and correctional officers is going.

Generally, in good economic times if you walk through the door and aren't obviously impaired by drugs and pass a background check you will be hired.  During bad times they will have applicants lined up and can be very selective about who they want.

Using that criteria, things are still going pretty good around the country.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline InfamousAndy

• Just Off Probation
  • The Friendly Christian
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 10:06:06 AM »
A great way to tell how things are going economically in an area is to check how the hiring of law enforcement and correctional officers is going.

Generally, in good economic times if you walk through the door and aren't obviously impaired by drugs and pass a background check you will be hired.  During bad times they will have applicants lined up and can be very selective about who they want.

Using that criteria, things are still going pretty good around the country.

That bolded statement disqualifies all the residents of DU right there.  No wonder they think times are worse than they really are.

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 02:12:49 PM »
How's that minimum wage hike working for you DUmmies ?

They were saying that it would increase unemployment.

According to the National Restaurant Association, the last minimum wage increase cost the restaurant industry more than 146,000 jobs and restaurant owners put off plans to hire an additional 106,000 employees.

“A minimum-wage increase will cost our industry jobs, and the vital discussion of how to minimize this job loss is getting lost in the debate,” said Peter Kilgore, the group's acting interim president and chief executive officer.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/24/politics/main2851044.shtml?source=RSSattr=Business_2851044