Author Topic: primitive has straw hats for church  (Read 980 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive has straw hats for church
« on: June 06, 2008, 08:10:21 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=390x2597

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but it's in the Crafts forum on Skins's island.

For the record, franksolich once in a while dons a straw hat with a wide brim.

Sun helmets get a little heavy on the head at times.

hedgehog  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Apr-20-08 03:42 PM
Original message

I have a bunch of "straw" summer hats for church. Some of them have spots or what look like watermarks on them. Any ideas for cleaning them?

Now, franksolich is confused.

Isn't one of the purposes of straw hats, besides shielding one from the sun, to keep one dry in case of a little rain?

And so don't all those watermarks on a straw hat add some class, some authenticity, some cachet, to these hats?

eleny  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Apr-21-08 07:55 PM
Response to Original message

1. I've never cleaned a straw hat but was curious and found this

"From How to Clean Everything by Alma Chesnut Moore

Keep them well brushed and they will be damaged less if caught in the rain. To clean them, wipe with a cloth dipped in warm suds, made with a synthetic detergent or soap. Rinse with a cloth wrung out of plain water. Do not get a straw hat too wet or it may shrink.

Limp straws can be stiffened by brushing them over with a light coat of clear shellac, diluted with an equal amount of alcohol. To brighten the color and renew the gloss of dark straws, rub them with a dark cloth dampened with alcohol, diluted with one quarter the amount of water, then polish them lightly with a piece of dark-colored velvet."

http://www.villagehatshop.com/cleaning-straw.html

hedgehog  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Apr-21-08 09:02 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. I will try that. I kow if they get too wet, the sizing rinses out and the hat is ruined.

eleny  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Apr-21-08 09:10 PM
Response to Reply #2

3. They must be nice hats for you to want to revive them

I'll always remember the Easter straw hat I had as a kid. It had a bunch of cherries on the side. I loved it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline RobJohnson

Re: primitive has straw hats for church
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 07:53:55 PM »
Many straw hats now come in colors...........

Just re-spray the hat with paint.....or make you old hat look like a new hat with a fresh coat of your fav. color.