Author Topic: Is it right to have a holiday in memory of US soldiers that excludes their victi  (Read 2305 times)

Online Carl

• Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3342031

Smith_3 (603 posts)       Mon May-26-08 11:00 AM
Original message
Is it right to have a holiday in memory of US soldiers that excludes their victims?
   Advertisements [?]

I wonder about that. So the Memorial Day is for remembering American soldiers. Only problem is that America has not been involved in a "legitimate" war for over fifty years. So, if you wanna have a day remembering them, isn't it a little respectless to those that were the victims of the unjust wars, if they are not included in the remembering?

Just to make my point more visual: I hearby bring a toast to the brave German warriors that fell in world war two . Some of them might have been nazis, but the majority were not. I leave it to others to toast for Russians, French or Jews. They are not my concern.

Is that appropriate?

I am guessing the thread will be sent away as a few realize speaking the inner truth of DUmmieland is bad.

supernova  (1000+ posts)         Mon May-26-08 11:09 AM
Response to Original message
6. Stupid or shit stirrer, take your pick

dmordue  (1000+ posts)       Mon May-26-08 11:09 AM
7. Fox would love this post to paint democrats

wienerdoggie  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-26-08 11:15 AM
9. Holy Jesus. Go to hell.

MonkeyFunk  (1000+ posts)         Mon May-26-08 11:18 AM
11. What a jerkish post

Never fear...most are too DUmb to know how to cover up the primitive mindset.

tuckessee (1000+ posts)        Mon May-26-08 11:36 AM
13. Good job!
   You've angered the flag humping, troop jock sniffing crowd on a day when they think they can run around feeling superior than thou.

These people prefer to think in meaningless slogans like "Thank you for their service" instead of actually understanding the swath of broken bodies and nations left in wake of America's military follies.

People should be more specific when heaping platitudes on warriors.

It would be more accurate to say "Thanks for killing a million or so Vietnamese for no good reason" or "Thanks volunteering to fight an illegal war based on obvious lies" or "Thanks for adding My Lai, Agent Orange, Free fire zones, Haditha, Abu Grahib and Fallujah to the annals of US military history" etc.

Finn Polke (9 posts)        Mon May-26-08 12:01 PM
Response to Reply #14
20. Honor Draft resisters, then, maybe...
   Memorial Day is a good time to express opinions about war, the soldiers who fought in them, all the people who died in them, etc.

So, your folks served in Vietnam, eh? And now, your old man views that war as a bad thing. You claim that neither they nor many other young people at the time knew any better, the were simply following orders.

Ok. I don't know your parents, they might be really decent people, not saying they are not. But, what about the young people who protested the war against Vietnam and who resisted the draft? As soon as THAT group of fighters is honored with a national holiday I'll be more inclined to volunteer to say thanks to any service person no matter what he or she did or thought.

Actually, I probably won't, but...you get my point.

Jake3463  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-26-08 12:17 PM
Response to Reply #20
21. Like it or not
   Edited on Mon May-26-08 12:19 PM by Jake3463
This country has a history of war. Some were just and some were unjust.

My father was an honorable man he did what at the time he felt was right. Alot of the people who protested the war in the 60's regret their target of the soldiers vs. the government and alot of the people who served regret the war.

My father was spit on upon and insulted on his return and thanks to those actions he mistrusted liberals his entire life. So they did a heck of a job alienating people with their actions even though he agreed with alot of liberal principles.

The enemy was not the people fighting on either sides it was the Military Industrial Complex Eisenhower warned about who profited from the war. The kids were just tools in that complex.

Like it or not Military service is a way that some people get pulled out of their economic situations in this society. I wish there were other ways but for some kids its the only option.

I'll honor the ones who went to jail under principle. Not the ones who fled to Canada. Civil disobedience is not Civil Disobedience without consequences.

maxsolomon (1000+ posts)        Mon May-26-08 12:24 PM
22. dear OP: people don't like sacred cow tipping.
   the inability to have a civil debate about our country's unquestioning militarism is one reason why the march to the iraq war was a cakewalk for the * administration propagandists. their case was a tissue-thin patchwork of lies, it was transparently absurd, yet they had 90% public approval.

americans are primed to view individual valor & sacrifice as legitimizing the larger endeavor of a war. this is why john kerry couldn't apply his assessment of vietnam to iraq during the campaign: How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake? it was true, but it made people FEEL BAD. can't have that, especially on a day that's meant to make them FEEL GOOD about their sacrifice & loss.

i always direct my memorial day thanks to conscripts & draftees. they had no choice.
Since there hasn`t been a draft in over 30 years you are pissing on the service of all those that have volunteered.
**** you. :bird:

Bob Dobbs (112 posts)        Mon May-26-08 12:35 PM
23. War is the single most counterproductive tool of diplomacy.
   All wars are world power elite scams to centralize power and capital in elite control.

American soldiers (and, indeed all soldiers worldwide) are victims of this mass nationalistic hysteria created by the elites.

Deification of the warriors only contributes to the destructive mythology of jus ad bellum.

Support the troops, end the madness of war.

Argue that with those that want you dead (real enemies,not those in your imagination) just because.

Offline tuolumnejim

Finn Polke (9 posts)        Mon May-26-08 12:01 PM
Response to Reply #14
20. Honor Draft resisters, then, maybe...
   Memorial Day is a good time to express opinions about war, the soldiers who fought in them, all the people who died in them, etc.

So, your folks served in Vietnam, eh? And now, your old man views that war as a bad thing. You claim that neither they nor many other young people at the time knew any better, the were simply following orders.

Ok. I don't know your parents, they might be really decent people, not saying they are not. But,
what about the young people who protested the war against Vietnam and who resisted the draft?
As soon as THAT group of fighters is honored with a national holiday I'll be more inclined to volunteer to say thanks to any service person no matter what he or she did or thought.

Actually, I probably won't, but...you get my point.
The group in bold and liberal F***tards in general are the reason we need to bring back the gallows  :fuelfire:
A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Airwolf

WTF are they talking about .We,the United States have  hollidays for those we have defeated.

VE Day

VJ Day

Veterans Day/Armistace Day

August 6th and August 8th

But yet the DUmpmonkies forget we also have days like these.

Memorial Day

December 7th

July 4th

There is nothing the United States could do forthem that will ever make them happy so we should send their asses to ol Vladimir Putin and have them work for him . Lets see how they end up loving it under his rule for awhile

MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Airwolf

"Just to make my point more visual: I hearby bring a toast to the brave German warriors that fell in world war two . Some of them might have been nazis, but the majority were not. I leave it to others to toast for Russians, French or Jews. They are not my concern."

Wow .Not only a racist but a real jew hater.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Offline formerlurker

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3342031

Smith_3 (603 posts)       Mon May-26-08 11:00 AM
Original message
Is it right to have a holiday in memory of US soldiers that excludes their victims?
   Advertisements [?]

I wonder about that. So the Memorial Day is for remembering American soldiers. Only problem is that America has not been involved in a "legitimate" war for over fifty years. So, if you wanna have a day remembering them, isn't it a little respectless to those that were the victims of the unjust wars, if they are not included in the remembering?

Just to make my point more visual: I hearby bring a toast to the brave German warriors that fell in world war two . Some of them might have been nazis, but the majority were not. I leave it to others to toast for Russians, French or Jews. They are not my concern.

Is that appropriate?

What, the Japanese get no play time people?   There was a whole Pacific theater to that war that never garners the attention that the Nazis do.     Must have been the uniforms or something.    It's always Auschwitz this, and Hitler that....  Japan had some barbaric torture camps too..   Jeez,  what's a revisionist apologist historian to do?

The mindset of these bunch of misfits never ceases to amaze me.    
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 01:44:46 PM by formerlurker »

Offline formerlurker

"Just to make my point more visual: I hearby bring a toast to the brave German warriors that fell in world war two . Some of them might have been nazis, but the majority were not. I leave it to others to toast for Russians, French or Jews. They are not my concern."

Nah, the misfit is equating our American soldiers to Nazis - with Memorial Day glorifying the Nazis, when it is the Russians, French and Jews that were the victims and should be remembered. 

I guess that this creten is looking for an OBL day here in the U.S.   

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
They never cease to amaze me. Grave dancing on the very people who made it possible for them to live in freedom and post asshatted comments on DU.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jtyangel

I bet the Jews being slaughtered in Germany in the 1940's didn't think WWII was counterproductive, nor did they give a sh*t as they were walking to their deaths that diplomacy with the Germans had fallen apart.  :hammer:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Go to hell, ****ing ungrateful scum bags.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Can't tell; the dipshit did one post in the whole thread and doesn't say anything actually negative about Jews, just noting that he apparently isn't one but perhaps is an ethnic German, or for some other reason identifies with them.

He's an idiot, who clearly does not understand what the whole point of Memorial Day is.  Perhaps someone got bored and burned a 600-post mole, or he is just some damn' furriner, hard to say.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
tuckessee (1000+ posts)        Mon May-26-08 11:36 AM
13. Good job!
   You've angered the flag humping, troop jock sniffing crowd on a day when they think they can run around feeling superior than thou.

God, if you're listening...please give me five minutes alone in a broom closet with this ungrateful scum.

And I'd like to bring along my baseball bat too.

I know that vengeance is your Lord...but can we make an exception just this once?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Go to hell, ****ing ungrateful scum bags.

My sentiments exactly.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jinxmchue

intheflow  DU Moderator Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Mon May-26-08 12:53 PM
25. Locking.

This is an insensitive, distasteful post.

Gee.  Ya think?

Online Carl

• Global Moderator
25. Locking.

Gee.  Ya think?

How they hate having the sun shine on the island revealing their true condition. :-)

Offline jinxmchue

25. Locking.

Gee.  Ya think?

How they hate having the sun shine on the island revealing their true condition. :-)

They're like cockroaches.

(My profound apologies to all the cockroaches out there insulted by the comparison.)

Offline Airwolf

13. Good job!

God, if you're listening...please give me five minutes alone in a broom closet with this ungrateful scum.

I know that vengeance is your Lord...but can we make an exception just this once?

And a pipe. And rope and anything else found in a hardware store. We ask for so little.

MOLON LABE

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
13. Good job!

If He allows it, Sarge, . . . vengeance is still His--He's just using you as the instrument.  That is what you ask for--to be His instrument.  A percussion instrument.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
Can you imagine how this meeting would go?

13. "Thanks for killing a million or so Vietnamese for no good reason" or "Thanks volunteering to fight an illegal war based on obvious lies" or "Thanks for adding My Lai, Agent Orange, Free fire zones, Haditha, Abu Grahib and Fallujah to the annals of US military history" etc.

*BAM*

You're welcome, you filthy assed hippy.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant

If He allows it, Sarge, . . . vengeance is still His--He's just using you as the instrument.  That is what you ask for--to be His instrument.  A percussion instrument.

Yes yes you are correct.  Thank you for the clarification.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
**** you  :bird: **** you  :bird: **** you, you ****ing stupid **** :bird:

These stoopid ****ers are no smarter than Obama and him seeing dead people :bird:

**** you all.........................and GOD, please allow the sarge and others to be your hand of vengance for just five minutes with these ungrateful pieces of twice eatin poo flung by their liberal ****ing troop hating anti American hippie piece of shit ****wads
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
13. Good job!

And a pipe. And rope and anything else found in a hardware store. We ask for so little.

I'm thinking a little rope, knotted about the size of a fist at the end with nails driven through it.  It's an evil thought, yet somehow refreshing.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Georgia Bulldog

13. Good job!

I'm thinking a little rope, knotted about the size of a fist at the end with nails driven through it.  It's an evil thought, yet somehow refreshing.

I'd love to join in on the fun but seeing as how I'm not a veteran...y'all go first and save me some leftovers!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile -- hoping it will eat him last.

Winston Churchill
1874-1965, British Statesman, Prime Minister

The Democrats say that the United States has had its days in the sun, that our nation has passed its zenith. My fellow citizens, I utterly reject that view.

Ronald Reagan
40th US President, 1911-2004