Author Topic: Dems say Dann must step down; he says he won't leave  (Read 964 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Dems say Dann must step down; he says he won't leave
« on: May 05, 2008, 11:52:03 AM »

interesting that the primary use of the party affiliation is when reporting that it is the democrats
that are trying to get rid of this guy;  you would never guess that he is a dem himself.  (not from
this story, anyway)

Dems say Dann must step down; he says he won't leave

Gov. Ted Strickland and fellow top Democrats released a letter asking embattled Ohio Attorney General Marc Dann to resign immediately.

The letter signed by Strickland and other Democratic statewide elected officials tells Dann that his "actions have irreparably harmed your ability to effectively serve the people of our great state."

Democratic legislative leaders, including Senate Minority Leader Ray Miller and House Minority Leader Joyce Beatty, also signed the letter, which threatens Dann with impeachment if he doesn't quit.

"We also want to make you aware that if you do not choose to resign, Democratic members of the Ohio House of Representatives will immediatly introduce a resolution seeking your impeachment," the letter said. "We sincerely hope that this action will not be necessary and that you will act in the best interest of the people of Ohio by tendering your resignation Monday morning."

The letter was sent Sunday night.

Dann issued a statement Monday indicating he won't leave.

In a statement to his staff, Dann said Strickland called him Sunday night, advising him of the letter.

"I told him that he and the other officeholders, as well as the members of the legislature, should continue to expect that we will continue to provide high-quality legal services to all of them," Dann wrote.

"That is exactly what I am doing today," he added. "I am in the office, have rolled up my sleeves and am working on behalf of the people of State of Ohio."

Dann's fall from grace has been swift, barely a month since sexual harassment allegations against one of his top managers and closest friends surfaced.

On Friday an internal investigation concluded and led to the firing of Anthony Gutierrez, director of general services, for improperly fraternizing with women on his staff and recklessly using state vehicles.

But the collateral damage from that internal probe was just as -- if not more -- damning to the attorney general who admitted on Friday to an extra-marital affair with a 28-year-old female staffer.

Much more