Author Topic: DU poll- How have you been treated by the courts- You know the answer  (Read 512 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1421650

undeterred Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Jul-05-11 08:37 PM
Original message
Poll question: What has your personal experience been with the American justice system?

Probably better if you post what your role was than to just rate it. I can't imagine that everyone has had a bad experience, but based on what we are hearing today, you'd think our system was awful.

Were you : A juror, a defendant, a witness, a victim, or in some other courtroom role?

Poll result (101 votes)
Excellent   (5 votes, 5%)   
Very Good   (10 votes, 10%)   
Good   (6 votes, 6%)   
Fair   (7 votes, 7%)   
Not So Good   (10 votes, 10%)   
Bad    (43 votes, 43%)   
Terrible   (8 votes, 8%)   
OTHER   (12 votes, 12%)   

I never would have guessed.  :whistling:

femmocrat Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Jul-05-11 08:39 PM
Response to Original message
1. Bad! Jury duty.

I will do anything I can to get out of it in the future.

Nobody challenged him on that.

Quixote1818 Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Jul-05-11 08:51 PM
6. I voted bad but now that I think about it, my beef was with clerical mistakes

The law came out right but because of clerical mistakes by the MVD I had a lot of headaches and was even put in jail over bad paperwork.

Tell that to someone who'll believe it..........................Wait. He did.

Kaleva Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Jul-05-11 08:59 PM
10. Been in jail a few times. Longest was just a week so I can't complain.

If he can't complain about being in jail, he's been in more that a few times. He's gotten use to it.

Why am I reminded of Otis on Andy Griffith?

blueamy66 Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Wed Jul-06-11 04:15 AM
Response to Reply #10
41. try spending that week in tent city in Maricopa County, AZ

not horrible, but definitely a bitch!

handmade34 Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Jul-05-11 09:10 PM
13. I have

been a juror, a victim, a correctional officer, brought a case against someone, played various other parts in the system and also my daughter is an officer (her boyfriend a U.S. Marshall)

the American Justice system is not consistent and often outcomes depend on who you are, how connected you are, how much money you have, etc, etc... I never want to be involved with our justice system again... sometimes it is great and fair and sometimes it isn't... toss a coin :shrug:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can a corrections officer serve on a jury?

Chemisse DU Moderator Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Jul-05-11 10:40 PM
28. Very bad. I had a loved one who was accused of a crime he didn't commit.

Evidence was twisted and released to the media. They repeatedly tried to get him to agree to a plea deal. He refused and after 18 months of hell, they dropped the charges. No apologies, no retractions. He lost his job and his career, and the stigma of the charges will be with him until the day he dies.

And he was white, middle class and respected by his community. I can't even fathom how bad the system can be for someone who is poor, or a minority, or an immigrant.

MouseFitzgerald (55 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Wed Jul-06-11 03:56 AM
39. Horrible

If I was a less intelligent person, I would undoubtedly be a libertarian considering my experiences with the judicial system. The cops where I live are hardcore fascists and it is well known that they are incredibly corrupt. My family and I have had some pretty ****ed up experiences that really make it hard for me to have complete faith in our system.

WOW!

Most of those who voted bad have made no comment.

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
put in jail over bad paperwork
Cops found a few stems that dribbled out of his ZigZag.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can a corrections officer serve on a jury?

Yes they can.  I know several CO's and a couple of them have served as jurors.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline jukin

Being found guilty while actually being guilty is not BAD treatment.

I predict 10s of bouncies in this camp fire.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

I have had pretty extensive experience with it, and while it can be as arbitrary, inconsistent, unpredictable, capricious, biased toward the connected, and even sometimes loaded as the DUmmies say, the thing is, an innocent person has a WHOLE lot better chance of walking out of the courtroom free in our system than in any other in the world.  It's highly imperfect, sure, but it's miles ahead of the competition.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline jukin

I have had pretty extensive experience with it, and while it can be as arbitrary, inconsistent, unpredictable, capricious, biased toward the connected, and even sometimes loaded as the DUmmies say, the thing is, an innocent person has a WHOLE lot better chance of walking out of the courtroom free in our system than in any other in the world.  It's highly imperfect, sure, but it's miles ahead of the competition.

Yep our Representative Democracy is the WORST system to hae been devised....except for all the otheres that have been tried.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
Yep our Representative Democracy is the WORST system to hae been devised....except for all the otheres that have been tried.

And even though communism has been a failure everywhere it's been in force, DUmmies think that they can make it  successful here.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Bodadh

• Not in the mood!
The cops where I live are hardcore fascists and it is well known that they are incredibly corrupt.

renewal2012, is that you? :rotf:
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
REP  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jul-05-11 09:01 PM
12. Victim. Not good.
Despite being prosopagnosiac, I was able to pick out my kidnaper/attempted rapist from a photo lineup. 

Another "special" DUmmy. Unbelievable. Every single one of them has some kind of psychological disorder, and brags about it.
This one is probably good for SSI qualification.

Offline thundley4

Another "special" DUmmy. Unbelievable. Every single one of them has some kind of psychological disorder, and brags about it.
This one is probably good for SSI qualification.

The term originally referred to a condition following acute brain damage, but a congenital form of the disorder has been proposed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia

That explains a lot.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
Re: DU poll- How have you been treated by the courts- You know the answer
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 02:25:48 AM »
Reap what you sow, DUmbasses.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”