Author Topic: Ban firecrackers - It's for the Dogs  (Read 443 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
Ban firecrackers - It's for the Dogs
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:23:17 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1412027

Critters2 Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Mon Jul-04-11 11:32 AM
Original message
It's time to move past fireworks in celebration of the 4th

Fireworks are frightening for children and companion animals. For many, the night is spent calming terrified pets. I have at least two friends who've spent considerable money on drugs and/or Thunder Shirts, specifically to soothe animals during the local fireworks explosions. Is this really necessary?!

pipoman Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Mon Jul-04-11 11:35 AM
Response to Original message
1. A couple of days per year

won't kill anyone.

Mendocino (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Mon Jul-04-11 12:10 PM
Response to Reply #1
26. Well it can.

A bottle rocket landed on the roof of an elderly couples house a number of years back near here. The house caught on fire, killing them both. My friends dog went so crazy from fireworks that it ran into a wall and broke its neck.

However fireworks are good for the prothestic hand, glass eye and hearing aid industries.

Nothing like a little exaggeration to prove a point.

auntAgonist (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Mon Jul-04-11 11:41 AM
Response to Original message
8. Feed the hungry instead of exploding all that money into the sky.

Sure they are pretty and a tradition.

But there are hungry and homeless people out there.

My dog doesn't get upset by the noise but the dogs down the road do.

aA

aquart Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Mon Jul-04-11 11:44 AM
Response to Reply #8
14. I really do get disgusted by that kind of statement.

Pretending to be moral when depriving others suits your convenience.

A quart low got one right.

Taitertots (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Mon Jul-04-11 11:48 AM
Response to Reply #8
18. Feed them your companion animal

Or is sacrificing something to help others only something that applies to things OTHER PEOPLE like doing.

kestrel91316 Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Mon Jul-04-11 01:24 PM
Response to Reply #8
53. So you oppose ALL forms of entertainment, I suppose? Because it's all

the same in terms of NOT being spent on the hungry and homeless.

I assume you have relinquished cable TV in favor of sending that sum every month to your local homeless shelter. And of course you don't get the internet, either. And cut your personal budget so you can send THAT money to the shelter, too.

And the DOG????? Give up the dog and spend THAT money on the homeless.

Or, you could just leave people alone and let them celebrate in peace. WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA AND THE 4TH OF JULY? Seriously.

It's a large, raging campfire with both pro and anti's going after each other. It's worth a read.

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline sybilll

Re: Ban firecrackers - It's for the Dogs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 03:41:22 PM »
That thread was indeed worth the read.  I try to visualize what some of these DUmmies look like.  I think Critters2 is one of those batshit crazy people you see on "Hoarders".

Oh, and Happy 4th of July to all.   :taps:

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 04:01:10 PM »
I've never seen a more miserable group of people than those who subscribe to regressive ideology. They're miserable and they want everyone else miserable.

We had some neighbors setting off fireworks last night, they did a great job, and yes it's illegal to do in NJ, but you know what? all of us were out in the street watching and smiling and laughing and having a great time, and no 1 called the cops at all. God forbid someone has a little bit of happiness and joy in their lives, if you're miserable we all have to be miserable. This is the same type of misery we saw in the Soviet Union all those years.

You fools are boring me, it's the same thing over and over and over, whine whine whine, bah bah bah. Get out there in the freaking world and put a freaking smile on your face even if you have to paint it on.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 04:21:59 PM »
. Get out there in the freaking world and put a freaking smile on your face even if you have to paint it on.

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 04:24:40 PM »
I know of many instances where dogs were either given away or put down for being gunshy.
A gunshy dog is like a liberal human - useless.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 05:00:54 PM »
I know of many instances where dogs were either given away or put down for being gunshy.
A gunshy dog is like a liberal human - useless.

Heh.

Friend of mine spent a couple hundred bucks on a beautiful pure bred duck-fetcher. Took said dog down to the skeet range for the first time and the pooch spent the day cowering under the car. He was most upset with this, but couldn't give away the dog because it'd become the family pet and his kids adored it.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 05:09:39 PM »
Despite his pedigree, Ci proves instinct alone is not enough to overcome a bad case of ovinophobia.  The four-year-old developed his fear of sheep when owner Jane Lippington placed him in their field as a puppy.  Now instead of rounding up his flock, Ci is more likely to be seen being chased by it.
UK Telegraph
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.