Current Events > Terrorism In the US and Around the World

Hasan to Be Charged With 13 Counts of Premeditated Murder in Fort Hood Massacre

(1/9) > >>

TheSarge:

DEVELOPING: Army psychiatrist Major Nidal Hasan will be charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder in last week's Fort Hood mass shootings, a military source told Fox News Thursday.

Hasan, 39, is suspected of killing 13 of his comrades Nov. 5 when he opened fire at a soldier processing center at the Army base in Killeen, Texas.

The American-born military psychiatrist survived the rampage and is being guarded at a hospital in San Antonio. He has been talking to investigators.

Hasan is accused of firing about 100 rounds at unsuspecting fellow soldiers filling out deployment paperwork before civilian police officers shot him and stopped the attack.

The massacre killed 13 people and left about 30 others wounded. It has been classified as the worst mass shooting on an American military base.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,574551,00.html

Thor:
I'm listening to the news briefing right now. My question is: why is he NOT being charged with 30 counts of attempted murder, in addition to the pre-meditated murder charges ?? What about the unborn fetus that was killed??

debk:

--- Quote from: Thor on November 12, 2009, 12:10:23 PM ---I'm listening to the news briefing right now. My question is: why is he NOT being charged with 30 counts of attempted murder, in addition to the pre-meditated murder charges ?? What about the unborn fetus that was killed??

--- End quote ---

I was wondering why it wasn't 14 counts of murder also.

Does it have to do with Texas law?

I don't think all states rule the same on the unborn. I think some rule that it has to be viable(which is usually around 28 weeks) before it is counted as a murder.

And why wouldn't it be 30+ counted of attempted pre-meditated murder?

If there is malice a forethought.....wouldn't everyone -both those murdered and those attempted....be pre-meditated?

jinxmchue:

--- Quote from: Thor on November 12, 2009, 12:10:23 PM ---I'm listening to the news briefing right now. My question is: why is he NOT being charged with 30 counts of attempted murder, in addition to the pre-meditated murder charges ?? What about the unborn fetus that was killed??

--- End quote ---

They often don't bother with lesser charges when there are major charges.

Eupher:

--- Quote from: debk on November 12, 2009, 12:18:24 PM ---
I was wondering why it wasn't 14 counts of murder also.

Does it have to do with Texas law?

I don't think all states rule the same on the unborn. I think some rule that it has to be viable(which is usually around 28 weeks) before it is counted as a murder.

And why wouldn't it be 30+ counted of attempted pre-meditated murder?

If there is malice a forethought.....wouldn't everyone -both those murdered and those attempted....be pre-meditated?

--- End quote ---

I'm no attorney, but I think that since the atrocities occurred on federal land, to wit a military installation, federal law applies. Texas law would not.

I would think they can always add to the list of charges, but removing those charges would be more problematical from both a legal and political perspective.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version