Author Topic: Pelosi, Reid have "failed," Shuler says  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Pelosi, Reid have "failed," Shuler says
« on: February 09, 2009, 03:23:15 PM »

odd.  when he was a football player, I thought he was an overrated mediocrity.  when he was elected to congress as a bluedog, I thought he was a waste of oxygen.  but perhaps he is useful after all. :-)

the dem class of 06 isn't going to be happy with any of the programs of the reid/pelosi/obama triumvirate of emptiness.  their constituents allowed themselves to be soured on the war by constant MSM indoctrination.  but those right of center congressional districts didn't send representatives to congress to nationalize the banking, medical, and automobile industries.

I thought the class of 06 would have been more trouble than they have so far, but reid and pelosi have turned out to be so hopelessly incompetent, that nothing ever even came up for a vote, much less got accomplished.  I would think that they will rear their ugly heads now. 

Rep. Heath Shuler (D-N.C) has further ingratiated himself with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi — not — by declaring that Pelosi and Harry Reid "failed" the bipartisanship test on stimulus.

"In order for us to get the confidence of America, it has to be done in a bipartisan way," Shuler said in Raleigh following an economic forum, according to the AP.

"We have to have everyone — Democrats and Republicans standing on the stage with the administration — saying, 'We got something done that was efficient, stimulative and timely.'"

Here's the kicker: "I truly feel that's where maybe House leadership and Senate leadership have really failed."

Shuler, rumored to be mulling a '10 Senate run, was one of 11 House Democrats to vote "no" on the stimulus and was already deep in Pelosi's doghouse. Now he'll have to build a Harry Reid wing.

Linky

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 06:22:28 PM »

Rep. Heath Shuler (D-N.C) has further ingratiated himself with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi — not — by declaring that Pelosi and Harry Reid "failed" the bipartisanship test on stimulus.

"In order for us to get the confidence of America, it has to be done in a bipartisan way," Shuler said in Raleigh following an economic forum, according to the AP.

"We have to have everyone — Democrats and Republicans standing on the stage with the administration — saying, 'We got something done that was efficient, stimulative and timely.'"

Here's the kicker: "I truly feel that's where maybe House leadership and Senate leadership have really failed."

Shuler, rumored to be mulling a '10 Senate run, was one of 11 House Democrats to vote "no" on the stimulus and was already deep in Pelosi's doghouse. Now he'll have to build a Harry Reid wing.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0209/Pelosi_Reid_have_failed_Shuler_says.html
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Redstatecka

• Thanks, Dad!
Re: Pelosi, Reid have "failed," Shuler says
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:37:42 PM »
The Raleigh News and Depressor -- sorry, Raleigh News and Observer -- said this, in part, in a story today:

"The conservative Democrat, who represents a western North Carolina district, was one of a handful in his party to oppose the stimulus package when the House voted on it two weeks ago. He said Democratic leaders in Congress haven't made any effort to hear his concerns or assuage his fears about the spending bill since the vote."

Shuler's a native of Swain County and now a resident of Haywood County, part of his 11th Congressional District. It's composed of the 15 westernmost counties in North Carolina: Buncombe, Clay, Cherokee, Graham, Haywood, Henderson, Jackson, Macon, Madison, McDowell, Polk, Rutherford, Swain, Transylvania and Yancey.

Those folks are very different from the Charlotte-Mecklenberg County crew, or the Research Triangle Park crew (Raleigh/Wake County, Chapel Hill and Durham and their immediate environs).

With his profile, you wonder why he's even a Democrat, unless it was to get elected: Baptist, a Board Member of the Knoxville Boys and Girls Club and as National Spokesperson for Character Counts, and still active in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ! For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity and freedom of worship here." -- Patrick Henry, 1765

Offline Redstatecka

• Thanks, Dad!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 06:40:21 PM »
There's also a thread at Rants and Raves, at http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,22044.0.html.
"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ! For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity and freedom of worship here." -- Patrick Henry, 1765

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 07:02:14 PM »
Shuler's my House Rep.  I have no idea why he isn't a Republican, given his family and the area where he grew up, he's very conservative.  He won the House seat from a R who had been there for 12 years, so I guess he figured the only way he could get the seat was to run in opposition to him as a D, but he's a D like the D's used to be before they turned to commies.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 08:19:40 PM »
Shuler's my House Rep.  I have no idea why he isn't a Republican, given his family and the area where he grew up, he's very conservative.  He won the House seat from a R who had been there for 12 years, so I guess he figured the only way he could get the seat was to run in opposition to him as a D, but he's a D like the D's used to be before they turned to commies.

he never figured out not to throw into double coverage, either, so a rocket scientist he is not. :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 08:21:06 PM »
The Raleigh News and Depressor -- sorry, Raleigh News and Observer -- said this, in part, in a story today:

"The conservative Democrat, who represents a western North Carolina district, was one of a handful in his party to oppose the stimulus package when the House voted on it two weeks ago. He said Democratic leaders in Congress haven't made any effort to hear his concerns or assuage his fears about the spending bill since the vote."

Shuler's a native of Swain County and now a resident of Haywood County, part of his 11th Congressional District. It's composed of the 15 westernmost counties in North Carolina: Buncombe, Clay, Cherokee, Graham, Haywood, Henderson, Jackson, Macon, Madison, McDowell, Polk, Rutherford, Swain, Transylvania and Yancey.

Those folks are very different from the Charlotte-Mecklenberg County crew, or the Research Triangle Park crew (Raleigh/Wake County, Chapel Hill and Durham and their immediate environs).

With his profile, you wonder why he's even a Democrat, unless it was to get elected: Baptist, a Board Member of the Knoxville Boys and Girls Club and as National Spokesperson for Character Counts, and still active in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

I am perfectly happy for him to be a democrat.  as a democrat, he is a moderate thorn in pelosi's side.  as a republican, he's a moderate thorn in our side.  let them deal with fence sitters for a while.  we just unloaded most of ours.  (snowe, collins, and spector notwithstanding)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 08:43:49 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 08:32:30 PM »

wow. doddering harry reid is over the top with this response.

This prompted a withering response from Jim Manley, the spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.

"Let me get this straight - this is coming from a guy who threw more than twice as many interceptions than touchdowns?" Manley emailed Politico's Glenn Thrush.

"Maybe Someone should tell congressman Shuler that under the leadership of President Obama we have put together a bipartisan bill that will create or save 3 to 4 million jobs, and that We have been more than willing to work with our republican friends. We have accepted some of their ideas and will continue to do so. But not at the expense of creating jobs, investing in our future of helping the middle class. He can stand on a stage if he wants, but senate democrats are busy trying to pass legislation that will provide essential investments designed to create and save jobs."

Thrush reminds us that Shuler threw 32 interceptions and 15 touchdowns during his four years in the NFL "with a rock-bottom 54.3 lifetime passer rating. In 2008, ESPN rated him the 4th biggest draft bust in league history."

Linky

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 08:38:45 PM »
Thrush reminds us that Shuler threw 32 interceptions and 15 touchdowns during his four years in the NFL "with a rock-bottom 54.3 lifetime passer rating. In 2008, ESPN rated him the 4th biggest draft bust in league history."

Someone needs to remind Thrush that 50% is better than the Congress' current 31%.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 08:43:29 PM »
Someone needs to remind Thrush that 50% is better than the Congress' current 31%.

I wonder how many TDs Thrush  threw in the NFL . . . ? :evillaugh: :gay2: :gay2: :gay2:

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »
"Maybe Someone should tell congressman Shuler that under the leadership of President Obama we have put together a bipartisan bill that will create or save 3 to 4 million jobs, and that We have been more than willing to work with our republican friends."

bipartisan how?  how can you make it impossible for both parties to make amendments or alternative proposals and call it anything but partisan?  how can you have every yes vote come from one party and say it's anything but partisan?  these guys need to put down the crack pipe, cause it's not making em any smarter...

BTW, what does Representative Shuler's stats in the NFL have to do with his judgement or ability as a legislator?  That's like saying that Obama having a good jump shot makes him a great president...

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 08:54:31 PM »
bipartisan how?  how can you make it impossible for both parties to make amendments or alternative proposals and call it anything but partisan?  how can you have every yes vote come from one party and say it's anything but partisan?  these guys need to put down the crack pipe, cause it's not making em any smarter...

BTW, what does Representative Shuler's stats in the NFL have to do with his judgement or ability as a legislator?  That's like saying that Obama having a good jump shot makes him a great president...

snowe, collins and benedict specter.  that's three.  how many do you need to be "bipartisan"? :whatever: :uhsure: :-)

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 09:06:43 PM »
snowe, collins and benedict specter.  that's three.  how many do you need to be "bipartisan"? :whatever: :uhsure: :-)

a hell of a lot more than 3 out of 178 total Republicans... I'd say drum those 3 out of the party, but that gives Reid a blank check.  They need to be pulled aside and in no uncertain terms told that they will get nothing in the way of support from the party come re-election if they don't change course

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 09:09:22 PM »
a hell of a lot more than 3 out of 178 total Republicans... I'd say drum those 3 out of the party, but that gives Reid a blank check.  They need to be pulled aside and in no uncertain terms told that they will get nothing in the way of support from the party come re-election if they don't change course

specter is on appropriations and is ranking member of judiciary.  plum assignments.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 09:18:54 PM »
change them... **** him