Author Topic: Sympthsical is my hero  (Read 664 times)

Offline Mary Ann

Sympthsical is my hero
« on: October 01, 2022, 08:45:56 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100217212968
fightforfreedom (2,846 posts)

I am trying to feel sorry for the people of Florida, but they knew the risks.

If you live near the coast, on tiny islands a few feet above sea level, you know there is a good chance you are going to lose everything when a hurricane strikes. Many people did not have insurance, they knew that.

Now there are thousands of people who will most likely never recover. Their homes, businesses, gone forever. They will have to start all over again. Of course I want the government to help them, but the government can only do so much.

The bottom line, they all knew the risks.
Fightforfreedom is a particularly nasty wad of mucous among many of such who post on DU. Not one ugly thing that he/she/it posts surprises me. But, I brought this over for this reply:
Sympthsical (5,028 posts)

11. My neighborhood caught fire last week

California.

Guess it should've burned down and "Oh well!"

I do hope no one would feel excessively sorry for me if I lost everything.

Thank god some are not afflicted with the heavy burden of empathy. Truly an advancement in human evolution my nucleotides are having trouble managing.

There are days where I sit at my desk, god-like, casting judgement on the pixellated peons below. Who is worthy of my consideration? Who shall I care about when they live or die? Who is doing all the things I deem right and proper so that they might be spared that ominpotent, thunderous "tsk" sound from above?

I mean, I'm usually doing that with video game characters in some bit of nothing I'm playing instead of living, breathing people.

But you know, it's more or less the same.

You know, it doesn't bother me people feel this way. People have a scale of empathy for others. There's no controlling it. It bothers me more when people then take what they are lacking, bounce into public, and declare, "**** these people, right?" seeking social acceptance of said expressed shitty lack of caring.

And usually, when it's their turn in the barrel, suddenly they'll look around and demand their problems should be Issue #1 for everyone else. Just seems to be how that goes.

You don't care. Noted.
This one actually seems to have two brain cells to rub together, and isn't afraid to confront the morons. I first noted his tendency to go against the herd during the Rittenhouse trial, but there have been many other times as well. And that's why Symphthsical is my hero.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: Sympthsical is my hero
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 08:53:52 AM »
Let’s think about fightforfreedom’s comments and break it down a little;

We shouldn’t care for people who know they live in an area prone to;

Hurricanes
Fires
Earthquakes
Tornadoes
Extreme snow/ice events
Volcanic activity
Tsunamis
Crime

What am I missing?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 09:02:54 AM »
Just went and looked at the thread. DUmbass deleted the original.

I’m quite sure he still feels that way, just didn’t like the treatment he was getting.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 09:04:55 AM »
Just went and looked at the thread. DUmbass deleted the original.

I’m quite sure he still feels that way, just didn’t like the treatment he was getting.

KC
I'm a little disappointed. I was looking forward to spending the rest of today watching fff try to dig his way out of that pile of poo.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 09:23:36 AM »
OMG, Mary Ann, are you trying to get Sympthsical banned? :rotf:

I very seldom read longer DU-posts in their entirety. Usually I go only as far as my patience with their stupidity holds out ... with some, that's not at all far. I read Sympthsical's entire post. It was thoughtful, using an interesting analogy-contrast to characterize fightforfreedom's callous post.

True :bouncy: time ... long, long ago (IIRC, Reagan was President at the time) I came to a "brilliant" realization. We were visiting family in northeast Kansas, and folks were commenting about how they could not understand people living in "Earthquake Country" (i.e. California). Ironically many there in Kansas stayed glued to The Weather Channel or their radio, in case of tornado warnings. I was amused at the contrast between the infrequency of significant earthquakes (Silicon Valley hasn't experienced a significant or major earthquake since 1989) and Kansans' annual tornado season. However, in thinking further, I realized that there is no part of the Earth that does not have some sort of suck. California has earthquakes (1989 was pretty deadly). the Plains and Midwest states have tornadoes and major snowstorms. Southwestern states roast every summer (and in some areas, thunderstorms flood streets in the late summer). WashDC has politicians. The southeast US has hurricanes. The northeast US has snowstorms and Atlantic storms. Etc., etc., etc. That perspective, that everybody on Earth lives with some sort of natural suck, eludes fightforfreedom. OTOH, Sympthsical might "get" that.

Sympthsical's comment about fire near his/her home strikes a personal chord with me. A few years ago, a fire consumed the visitor center of a park near me, a park that has been the venue for several running events in which I've participated (thankfully, redwoods are resilient). A couple of years ago, smoke from fires a couple hundred miles from me forced the cancellation/postponement of running events in the Bay Area due to very poor air quality. That same year a lady I dated in high school, a retired nurse, volunteered at a fire refugee center at her church. The fire this year in the north-central Sierras threatened the hometown of the owners of one of my favorite running event organizers, and burned through some sections of the Western States 100 (a 30-hour time limit 100 mile run).

fightforfreedom can't set aside his/her hatred for the majority of Floridians' politics enough to recognize that Libs and Progs are being hurt by the hurricane alongside their conservative neighbors. fightforfreedom seems unwilling to "get it", but Floridians have ridden  this rodeo before, and with their own hard work plus some assistance from others, will build back, often better. Sympthsical seems to see that humans are suffering.

Sorry for the verbosity.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 09:24:59 AM »

Hurricanes
Fires
Earthquakes
Tornadoes
Extreme snow/ice events
Volcanic activity
Tsunamis
Crime

What am I missing?

KC

Only the verbosity I provided.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 09:47:19 AM »
Only the verbosity I provided.
:rofl:
Yeah, there is absolutely no safe space on the Earth. I remember when a friend, a Navy wife, moved to San Diego, and I asked her if she wasn't scared about earthquakes. She said she was much less scared of earthquakes than she was of tornados.

Quite a few years later, a tornado (EF3) hit my hometown. As near as I could tell, instead of seeking cover in their basements, every resident was outside videotaping the approaching tornado.

We humans adapt, and take it all in stride.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 09:52:14 AM »

Hurricanes
Fires
Earthquakes
Tornadoes
Extreme snow/ice events
Volcanic activity
Tsunamis
Crime

What am I missing?

KC

The biggest disaster of them all: a democrat-led government.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2022, 10:03:14 AM »
I understand the sentiment, but there's one small, or major, difference between the two. No one in hurricane states is preventing the building of dunes, restoration of native grasses that prevent erosion and restricting any access to said areas, building of levees, etc. On the other hand, there's an entire political cabal preventing measures that would mitigate or limit wildfires in California.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2022, 10:13:35 AM »
I understand the sentiment, but there's one small, or major, difference between the two. No one in hurricane states is preventing the building of dunes, restoration of native grasses that prevent erosion and restricting any access to said areas, building of levees, etc. On the other hand, there's an entire political cabal preventing measures that would mitigate or limit wildfires in California.

Yes and no, wrt California. Yes, the Enviros and state gooberment have combined to restrict/prevent proper fire prevention land management. But no, this cabal did not create California's annual fire season. Fire season has been a thing longer than I've been around (and Ike was POTUS when I was born, and except for ~6 years of college and career start, I've lived my entire life in California). IOW, the Enviros and state gooberment (matbe with Federal "aid") have combined to make a long existing phenomenon far worse.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2022, 10:23:32 AM »
Yes and no, wrt California. Yes, the Enviros and state gooberment have combined to restrict/prevent proper fire prevention land management. But no, this cabal did not create California's annual fire season. Fire season has been a thing longer than I've been around (and Ike was POTUS when I was born, and except for ~6 years of college and career start, I've lived my entire life in California). IOW, the Enviros and state gooberment (matbe with Federal "aid") have combined to make a long existing phenomenon far worse.

You missed my point. I understand the fire season is always going to be here. It gets very dry out there. Just like hurricane season isn't going anywhere. Difference is, no one is preventing measures to limit damage here like they are in California. We have all kinds of codes and measures to limit damage from hurricanes. Most destruction is done to older buildings built under antiquated codes. The east side of 42d street in Mexico Beach was washed completely out due to the age of the homes during Michael(think old Florida, single-story block homes). The west side was damaged, but still standing. A friend's house was gone when he went down afterwards. When he rebuilt, it had to be at least 6' up in the air. He built it 10' up to have useable area underneath. We do go through droughts here, but no where near what the west coast, save wet WA/OR go through. We have fire breaks cut and maintained almost everywhere. There are also controlled burns. Tyndall AFB does them constantly. Fort Gordon, when I lived in Augusta, used to have them constantly as well.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline SVPete

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2022, 10:41:45 AM »
You missed my point. ...

This statement, ... the Enviros and state gooberment have combined to restrict/prevent proper fire prevention land management misses your point? Did you read my post? My post reiterated your point and added context.

As for government changing building codes to prevent/mitigate damage in natural disasters, California actually has a rather good record, Albeit with earthquakes. Since 1906, building codes have been changed to prevent or minimize earthquake damage. 1906 and its aftermath destroyed SF. In the 1925 Santa Barbara earthquake, much of its business district - = older buildings - got flattened and USS Arkansas and USS McCawley were used to provide radio communications, some electrical power, and augment local police. By 1989, the Bay Area stock of older buildings was much diminished, and newer buildings suffered light damage.

Offline jukin

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2022, 10:54:26 AM »

Hurricanes
Fires
Earthquakes
Tornadoes
Extreme snow/ice events
Volcanic activity
Tsunamis
Crime

What am I missing?

KC

You are missing the most devastating and long lasting disaster, far worse than a nuclear bomb, total democrat control of politics. With the most virulent devastation occurring under total black democrat control of politics.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Online Old n Grumpy

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2022, 09:18:20 AM »
fightforfreedom (2,846 posts)

I am trying to feel sorry for the people of Florida, but they knew the risks.

I hope you eat shit and DIE a slow and painful death. As I drive around my neighborhood and see peoples furniture flooring and other possessions out by the curb most of whom are retirees living on a fixed income it breaks my heart.

:loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird:

Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline SVPete

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2022, 09:20:56 AM »
I hope you eat shit and DIE a slow and painful death. As I drive around my neighborhood and see peoples furniture flooring and other possessions out by the curb most of whom are retirees living on a fixed income it breaks my heart.

:loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird:

FIFY :-)

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2022, 09:37:03 AM »
You are missing the most devastating and long lasting disaster, far worse than a nuclear bomb, total democrat control of politics. With the most virulent devastation occurring under total black democrat control of politics.

See Detroit, MI, Jackson, MS, New Orleans, LA, etc., etc., etc., etc.

https://pics.onsizzle.com/hiroshima-1940-2016-detroit-tpusa-com-1940-2016-moral-of-the-12852892.png

Offline Karin

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2022, 08:01:34 AM »
Star Member NoMoreRepugs (7,386 posts)

5. If only it had obliterated MarALago.

Star Member BlackSkimmer (47,798 posts)

12. That's a largely Dem area, so it would have hurt millions of Democrats too.

Wishing ill on any region is really a bad idea.

They always forget that there's some of them everywhere.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2022, 09:09:27 AM »
Star Member BlackSkimmer (47,798 posts)

12. That's a largely Dem area, so it would have hurt millions of Democrats too.

Wishing ill on any region is really a bad idea.

They always forget that there's some of them everywhere.

In the same way, California voters are ~1/3 R, and some parts of California are very red, especially more rural counties where many residents have to deal with elitist power-hungry bureaucrats. "Discussing" stereotypes is easier than discussing real people.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2022, 09:20:51 AM »
In the same way, California voters are ~1/3 R, and some parts of California are very red, especially more rural counties where many residents have to deal with elitist power-hungry bureaucrats. "Discussing" stereotypes is easier than discussing real people.

They have an extremely distorted view of the world. I actually feel sorry for some of them. They only get their ‘news’ from DU. Some of them don’t realize that both sides have their corrupt politicians. I truly believe they absolutely don’t know. A good portion of them believe their politicians are as pure as the driven snow. This is because you’re not allowed to post anything there that paints a D politician in a bad light, no matter how true and proven.

What an incredible bubble!  And we know most of them are on some type of government assistance. They can’t afford to criticize because they depend on the rest of us for support and the D politicians are consistent in one regard … they’ll vote to keep them on the plantation.

KC

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2022, 09:34:54 AM »
What an incredible bubble! ...

Bubble DUpes

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2022, 01:08:08 PM »

Hurricanes
Fires
Earthquakes
Tornadoes
Extreme snow/ice events
Volcanic activity
Tsunamis
Crime

What am I missing?

KC

Armed store owners, armed police, armed citizens.

They regularly feel sorry for those who encounter any of the above.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.