Author Topic: MASH celebrates 50 years  (Read 589 times)

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
MASH celebrates 50 years
« on: September 20, 2022, 04:09:07 PM »
The show premiered 50 years ago this weekend, Sept 17, 1972.  I always rank it as the greatest TV show ever, because of a unique mix of comedy, drama, and the best character development of any TV show.  Yes, the politics were interesting adn arguable, but they didn't (and mostly still don't) seem overbearing.  Klinger's schemes to escape, Radar's maturing, Potter's career military style getting softened by age and the misfits of the 4077th, Charles Emerson Winchester III entire character development, from uptight egotistical elite to human who cared about the soldier getting teased for his stutter and the concert pianist who lost a hand, it all just melded.

I remember the show ending, wasn't quite around when it started, but it's a chunk of my pop culture memories.   
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: MASH celebrates 50 years
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 04:42:38 PM »
I believe the final MASH show had the largest television audience for a sitcom (if not all shows save perhaps the Super Bowl) ever.

A great show, the few times I watched it.

All the same, I much preferred the movie. It was much darker than the TV version, and Sally Kellerman as Hot Lips played the shower tent scene beautifully.  :naughty:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 04:52:13 PM »
Thanks for the post!

My parents went to see the movie in a theater the night before I was born. Caught the series in reruns as a young mind full of mush and now have seen every episode multiple times. Sure, it got preachy in the later years once Alan Alda took a lot of creative control.

You're correct about the ever changing development of the characters throughout the 12 year run. From Colonel Blake to Col. Potter, the other doctors from Hawkeye, Trapper, & "Ferret Face" Major Frank Burns, followed by B.J., and Winchester as replacements. And of course the evolution of Corporal Klinger and his Section 8 ploys, Radar's evolution, Margaret Houlihan softening her edge.

An absolute classic TV series.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 04:58:11 PM »
I believe the final MASH show had the largest television audience for a sitcom (if not all shows save perhaps the Super Bowl) ever.

A great show, the few times I watched it.

All the same, I much preferred the movie. It was much darker than the TV version, and Sally Kellerman as Hot Lips played the shower tent scene beautifully.  :naughty:

Still does, a trivia nugget I'll use every few years. IIRC, M*A*S*H, Cheers, Seinfeld, Newhart, Friends are the most watched series finales of all time.

From what I recall, the book/movie/series was meant to be a social commentary about the Vietnam War. It was only set in the Korean conflict to soften the current events of the era.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 10:01:15 AM »
Loved the original MASH movie. When I was a kid a theater allowed me and some friends in to see it. It was a double feature with "Electra Glide in Blue"... another movie a couple of 13 year olds shouldn't have been let in to see but we were regulars and that theater and times were different in 1974
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline sunsettommy

• Patriot Master
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 11:15:20 AM »
The MASH movie was good, and the TV series was great despite that it was created by democrats, acted by democrats and written by democrats but then they were Classical democrats in those days not the disease-ridden America hating leftists of today who should be exposed and voted out of political power everywhere.