Author Topic: How a railroad strike could send food prices soaring  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
How a railroad strike could send food prices soaring
« on: September 11, 2022, 08:55:49 PM »
How a railroad strike could send food prices soaring
https://wgntv.com/news/nexstar-media-wire/how-a-railroad-strike-could-send-food-prices-soaring/

(The Hill) – The nation’s supply of food could take a hit if railroad workers go on strike, driving up prices at the grocery store and limiting U.S. grain exports to countries facing famine. 

As soon as next week, 115,000 freight rail workers could walk out if they cannot reach a new contract with railroads, potentially shutting down the national rail network that transports 20 percent of all grain shipments.

While unions say they want to avert a strike, and Congress has the power to block it, the U.S. food sector is rattled by the prospect of a national railroad shutdown in the middle of peak harvest season.

A railroad strike is possible. If they go, it is likely to cause food prices to rise even further and lead to more supply chain problems.

U.S. rail workers could legally strike as soon as Sept. 16 after the White House-appointed Presidential Emergency Board (PEB) released recommendations last month meant to bring railroads and unions closer to a deal.

Five unions have reached tentative agreements with railroads on a new contract based on the PEB recommendations, which call for 24 percent raises over five years and back pay but don’t address workers’ concerns about grueling hours and limited time off.

The bulk of rail workers belong to unions that haven’t struck a deal. And a recent online survey from grassroots group Railroad Workers United found that more than 9 in 10 railroad workers would vote to reject the PEB recommendations and go on strike. 

If workers vote for a strike, Congress would likely intervene to block it. They could then vote to fast-track a new contract. Railroads, retailers, growers and other industries are largely urging lawmakers to simply implement the terms laid out by the PEB. 

Even if strike is averted, food prices are going to continue rising.

Even If Freight Railways Avoid a Strike, Costs Will Rise
https://www.barrons.com/articles/stocks-poised-to-open-higher-on-monday-51662936602
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 09:10:36 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Re: How a railroad strike could send food prices soaring
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 06:22:01 PM »
Bernie Sanders Blocks Proposal Which Would Avoid Rail Strike
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/rail-shutdown-looms-large-even-congress-steps

Update (1750ET):

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) blocked a Republican effort to require railroad employees and companies to accept recommendations of a nonpartisan panel in order to avoid a strike which, if it goes through, will impact millions of Americans.

The GOP resolution - introduced by Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pension Commission Ranking Member Richard Burr (R-NC) and Sen. Roger Wicker (R-MI), would have required railroad workers to adopt the outlines of a labor deal, The Hill reports.

According to the Vermont Senator, railroad companies are making 'huge profits' and should treat employees more fairly.

"The rail industry has seen huge profits in recent years and last year alone made a record breaking $20 billion in profit," he said. "Last year the CEO of CSX made over $20 million in total compensation while the CEOs of Union Pacific and Norfolk Southern made over $40 million each in total compensation."

Sanders contrasted that to freight rail workers who are "entitled to a grand total of zero sick days."

Senator Bernie Sanders blocked a deal that could avoid a rail strike soon.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 06:24:36 PM »
BREAKING: Amtrak cancels passenger service ahead of railroad strike
https://thepostmillennial.com/breaking-amtrak-cancels-passenger-service-ahead-of-railroad-strike

US passenger railroad Amtrak on Monday canceled trips on three long-distance routes due to potential worker strikes that may begin as soon as Friday, reported Reuters.

Amtrak workers are not involved in a labor dispute, but the company's trains operate almost all of their 21,000 route miles outside the Northeast Corridor (NEC) on tracks owned, maintained, and dispatched by freight railroads, whose union workers are gearing up to strike. According to a Daily Mail report, International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers announced on Wednesday that its 4,900 workers voted to reject a deal its leaders reached with freight railroad companies.

Amtrak announced it will begin suspending service for the Southwest Chief route from Chicago to Los Angeles, the Empire Builder route from Chicago to Seattle, the California Zephyr route from Chicago to San Francisco, and the Los Angeles to San Antonio portion of the Texas Eagle route starting Tuesday.

Amtrak has cancelled long distance routes due to looming railroad strike.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 07:07:00 PM »
Amtrak has cancelled long distance routes due to looming railroad strike.

#JoeThePedophile and the other five regular riders disappointed...
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 07:29:11 PM »
#JoeThePedophile and the other five regular riders disappointed...

It is actually affecting regular commuter trains in major cities throughout the country (Chicago, NY, DC, Boston, Philly). Read that Chicago has already suspended service on their METRA lines.

Somehow the libtards will claim this is Putin's fault or the Ultra-MAGA folks.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 08:31:57 AM »
SecTrans Pete is MIA, unsurprisingly, since he was a check-of-box choice with zero experience or competence.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 09:50:24 AM »
Sounds like there is now a tentative deal.

Online enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 10:28:38 AM »
Sounds like there is now a tentative deal.

Darn, I was kind of hoping to be able to tell moonbats that Biden can't even get the trains to run on time.   :bolt:
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2022, 11:56:44 AM »
Looks like LIEden arm-twisted the railroads into taking the BOHICA treatment from the unions, https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/rick-moran/2022/09/15/biden-head-knocking-leads-to-tentative-sweet-deal-for-rail-unions-n1629718 .
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 09:40:30 PM »
Consumers could pay price if railroads, unions can’t agree
https://www.breitbart.com/news/big-rail-unions-split-on-contract-with-engineers-ratifying/

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Consumers could see higher gas prices and shortages of some of their favorite groceries during the winter holiday season if railroads and all of their unions can’t agree on new contracts by an early-December deadline that had already been pushed back.

The likelihood of a strike that would paralyze the nation’s rail traffic grew on Monday when the largest of the 12 rail unions, which represents mostly conductors, rejected management’s latest offering that included 24% raises and $5,000 in bonuses. With four of the 12 unions that represent half of the 115,000 rail workers holding out for a better deal, it might fall to Congress to impose one to protect the U.S. economy.

Could a rail strike happen next month?
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 08:48:40 PM »
"He Turned His Back": Rail Workers Fume After Biden Forces Unions To Accept Deal
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/he-turned-his-back-rail-workers-fume-after-biden-forces-unions-accept-deal

Rail works are furious after President Joe Biden on Friday signed bipartisan legislation into law to avert an industry strike that could have had grave economic fallout.

One rail worker, Justiun Schaaf, told AP that he had to choose between getting dental work or attending his son's 7th birthday party.

"Ultimately I decided to take the day off for my kid’s birthday party," he said, adding "Then when I am finally able to get into the dentist four, five, six months later, the tooth is too bad to repair at that point, so I have to get the tooth pulled out"

According to Schaff, if he had the option of taking a sick day, he "would have never been in that situation."

In comments after he signed the legislation, Biden acknowledged that more work needs to be done, Fox News reports.

"Look, I know this bill doesn't have paid sick leave, that these rail workers and, frankly, every worker in America deserves. But that fight isn't over," he said.

The unions are not happy with the rail deal that President Joe Biden signed.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Online enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2022, 07:51:14 AM »

The unions are not happy with the rail deal that President Joe Biden signed.

But odds are they will still donate to him and vote for him, or whatever D is hoisted up if Biden's handlers put on his note cards "I'm not seeking re-election." 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2022, 08:05:12 AM »
But odds are they will still donate to him and vote for him, or whatever D is hoisted up if Biden's handlers put on his note cards "I'm not seeking re-election." 

No bet. Honestly, I doubt the line grunts even believe they have a choice in the matter.

...One rail worker, Justiun Schaaf, told AP that he had to choose between getting dental work or attending his son's 7th birthday party.

"Ultimately I decided to take the day off for my kid’s birthday party," he said, adding "Then when I am finally able to get into the dentist four, five, six months later, the tooth is too bad to repair at that point, so I have to get the tooth pulled out"

I haven't been to a dentist in almost 30 years because I can't afford to keep them AND my family in the style to which we'd all like to become accustomed. Hydrogen peroxide and a few other household remedies become your best friends when your mouth hurts.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus