Author Topic: GoFundMe Seizes $10 Mill of Trucker Fundraising, Will Give to Charities Instead  (Read 391 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Hoo, boy, another reason not to trust GoFundMe for much of anything. I think there are a couple of alternate platforms, but GFM is probably the best known.

GoFundMe says it won’t be giving the C$10 million ($8 million USD) raised to support the truckers protesting COVID-19 mandates to the organizers anymore, saying it will instead work with the organizers to send the funds to “established charities verified by GoFundMe.”

“To ensure GoFundMe remains a trusted platform, we work with local authorities to ensure we have a detailed, factual understanding of events taking place on the ground,” the fundraising platform said in a statement on Feb. 4.

“Following a review of relevant facts and multiple discussions with local law enforcement and city officials, this fundraiser is now in violation of our Terms of Service (Term 8, which prohibits the promotion of violence and harassment) and has been removed from the platform.”

GoFundMe added that it has “evidence from law enforcement that the previously peaceful demonstration has become an occupation, with police reports of violence and other unlawful activity.”

John Carpay, president of the Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms (JCCF) which is providing legal representation for the organizers, told The Epoch Times that the linking of protesters to violent or unlawful activity is unfounded.

“I would like to see what evidence there is,” Carpay said. “That’s political spin.”

Carpay said the organizers have maintained that the protests are peaceful.

“It’s a constitutional freedom to protest peacefully,” Carpay said.

He also said that it’s his understanding from people on the ground that people can move freely in Ottawa, and for example in a recent case an emergency vehicle was able to “rapidly race through the streets because the trucks were neatly parked off to the side.”

“They’re not obstructing the daily lives of people in Ottawa, and they’re committed to peace and non-violence,” he said.

The Epoch Times reached out to GoFundMe for comment but didn’t immediately hear back.

More at the link.

Epoch Times

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Whew.  Minutes ago, GoFundMe just announced they're returning all donations to the donors automatically, no questions asked. 

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2022/02/04/highway-robbery-gofundme-to-redirect-10m-canadian-trucker-fund-to-verified-charities/

GFM must've experienced a 'Terrible Swift Sword' ripping-toward them.

Offline Old n Grumpy

They need to be shut down, they did the same to Kyle Rittenhouse and a couple of cops as well.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Whew.  Minutes ago, GoFundMe just announced they're returning all donations to the donors automatically, no questions asked. 

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2022/02/04/highway-robbery-gofundme-to-redirect-10m-canadian-trucker-fund-to-verified-charities/

GFM must've experienced a 'Terrible Swift Sword' ripping-toward them.

I can well imagine that GFM will deduct a "fee" for their "services" in "safekeeping" that money, in addition to the interest they've accrued.

Asshats. Backlash from donors, my ass. What happened is 3,649 attorneys lined up to take their asses to court.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Old n Grumpy

It would be fun to see the irs seize the accounts of the management and board of directors . let  them hire lawyers to get it back. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!