Author Topic: primitives like slaughterhouse restaurant  (Read 1844 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives like slaughterhouse restaurant
« on: February 26, 2009, 01:05:54 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x58216

Oh my.

sazemisery  (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-26-09 08:56 AM
Original message

If I were to open a restaurant...it would be along the lines of this one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/magazine/01food-t-000...

Of course, he has the advantage of being close to one of the top small, humane slaughterhouses in the country. I would love to work in that kitchen for a year. I noticed in the article how they make a point of letting the reader know he is a Democrat in a red state. I hope they have great success.

The link article's about a restaurant in Missouri, which apparently slaughters animals in the kitchen.

The warped primitive; by the way, the warped primitive recently told the New Mexico primitives that she's scheduled for some major eye surgery about two weeks from now.  One wishes her well.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-26-09 12:18 PM
Response to Original message

1. "Why can't this be done everywhere?"

Well, obviously because most of us were never paid enough to enjoy fine dining at the places that use humanely slaughtered meat from heirloom animals, that's why.

Face it, the only way most of us could afford animal protein was the way it was taken off the family farm and pushed into an inhumane factory system.

Grandma:

hippywife  (1000+ posts)      Thu Feb-26-09 12:42 PM
Response to Reply #1
3. We are going Saturday to a similar restaurant 
 that does use local product as much as possible. It's not the type of restaurant you eat at everyday, but it's a special occasion for Bill's birthday. We don't eat out much anyway because of the food system in this country that supplies the standard restaurant.

Combined, my husband and I make less than most single people do (I will tell you that I make around $18k/yr. working full-time) but we do buy all of our meat and as much other food as we can locally through family farms who do use small processing facilities which humanely harvests the animals. We do pay alot more for our it but it's a priority for us after learning all we have about big ag and the food industry and how little control our government really has in insuring the cleanliness and saftety and humane working conditions of our food supply.

This is something we do, along with many others around here, to alert the powers that be that is where we prefer to spend our food dollar rather than the garbage they heavily subsidize so it doesn't reflect the true cost of good, safe, clean, nutritious food.

It's not just a trendy thing to do. We just view it as something we can do not only for ourselves and our own health, but for the environment and the workers who toil under slave conditions in the major packing plants. We do it because there isn't any human [sic] blood or indignity involved in processing our food.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 01:09:32 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: primitives like slaughterhouse restaurant
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 01:17:50 PM »
Red state, hmmm?  We are actually about evenly divided, with all the moonbats mostly concentrated in KC, St. Louis, and an enclave around the large campus in Columbia, midway between the two major infestations and right on I-70, which connects them.  This place appears to be on the north side of KC, where we keep the wealther idiots.   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 01:18:51 PM »
Oh no! BIG AG is out to get us all!

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 01:27:16 PM »
Red state, hmmm?  We are actually about evenly divided, with all the moonbats mostly concentrated in KC, St. Louis, and an enclave around the large campus in Columbia, midway between the two major infestations and right on I-70, which connects them.  This place appears to be on the north side of KC, where we keep the wealther idiots.   

they're still murdering animals and eating them. They are criminals.  :p

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 02:07:13 PM »
So I take it they talk nicely to the animal before they shoot it in the face??   :fuelfire:

Frackin idjits.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 02:18:58 PM »
They kill in a kinder, gentle way!

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 03:03:18 PM »
You know,
My Gandfather, when he came to this country, was a butcher. He opened up a small grosery in a small western Nebraska twon, complete with a slaughter room in the back. Farmers would bring their cattle in and he would kill, skin and butcher the animal on site, then store the meat in a huge walk in freezer, if the farmer didn't have enough room to keep it.

Sometime in the early 1970s, the government shut him down because he didn't have the proper licence to kill animals on site. He either refused to pay the price to get one, or he could not get one, but from then on he only did the buchering. I spent alot of time with him when I could, because he always taught me about cutting meat when I was there.

He died in the mid-1970s. The grosery shut down a few years after that.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Karin

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 03:48:54 PM »
We don't eat out much anyway because of the food system in this country that supplies the standard restaurant.

What's her problem?  I work in that industry.  Anyway, the idea of going to a restaurant where they slaughter the animals onsite is highly distasteful.  No thanks, especially if a bunch of hippy moonbats are infiltrating the place. 

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 05:30:59 PM »
What's her problem?  I work in that industry.  Anyway, the idea of going to a restaurant where they slaughter the animals onsite is highly distasteful.  No thanks, especially if a bunch of hippy moonbats are infiltrating the place. 

I'd go if they slaughtered the "bunch of hippy moonbats" . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 06:54:54 PM »

I agree with you Karin....I think knowing they slaughter the animals on site is pretty gross. wonder how clean it is.

Personally, I have no problem with buying meat in the grocery store. I really do not want to know the details how it got from walking on 2 or 4 legs to the nice little clean package in the meat bin, or behind the glass all laid out neatly on trays.

I wish we had butcher shops here, but we don't....and that's another issue.... :(
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 07:43:06 PM »
Growing up on the farm here meant butchering a fair assortment of animals,wild or domestic.
I am pretty used to what happens so it wouldn`t bother me to eat there.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
Growing up on the farm here meant butchering a fair assortment of animals,wild or domestic.
I am pretty used to what happens so it wouldn`t bother me to eat there.

The meat would be very fresh for sure.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 11:16:53 PM »

I've been raising and having my animals butchered by the same guy for over 20 years. You actually DO NOT want the animal killed in the same vicinity where it is butchered!

The lilelyhood of contamination is to great! Anything the animal has been walking in or laying in can be highly toxic to the meat. Chances are, if they are killing these animals on-site, it is definitely in a separate building. I don't know how the health inspecter would let it happen any other way.

We're talkin' E-Coli city here folks!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 11:26:51 PM »
“What’s being served at Momofuku and Spotted Pig is what I’m serving,” he said of Justus Drugstore: A Restaurant, located 11 miles away in Smithville. “I’m just here at the source.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/magazine/01food-t-000.html?ref=dining

The slaughterhouse is 11 miles from the restaurant.  This is just more hippie-commune love-fest organic liberal garbage.

This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 11:35:06 PM »

The slaughterhouse is 11 miles from the restaurant.  This is just more hippie-commune love-fest organic liberal garbage.

That certainly makes more sense! I should have known.
To quote the Coach, "DUmmies lie, DUmmies lie all the time!"

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 11:37:15 PM »
That certainly makes more sense! I should have known.
To quote the Coach, "DUmmies lie, DUmmies lie all the time!"

That, or someone failed reading comprehension and needs to go back to the 3rd grade.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 11:58:30 PM »
That, or someone failed reading comprehension and needs to go back to the 3rd grade.

It sure looked to me like they were killing the animals ON-SITE after reading all the retorts!

and my reading comprehension is just fine, thank you very much!

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 12:01:29 AM »
It sure looked to me like they were killing the animals ON-SITE after reading all the retorts!

and my reading comprehension is just fine, thank you very much!

:rofl: I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 12:15:05 AM »
:rofl: I didn't mean to offend anyone.

It seemed to me everyone was figuring the kill was done on-site. I missed the 11 mile comment as I rarely read all the way thru DUmbass posts. After reading my fellow posters comments, which I always take the time to read, it appeared they were in agreement it was on-site, thus very un-sanitary.

Hence the comment that I believe my reading comprehension is at least up to par.

I have butchered rabbits, chickens, turkeys, pigs and cattle myself. When I could afford it, I farmed it out to those who could do it in 1/4 the time it took me. I raise 3 hogs a year and a steer every 2. I still butcher all the deer and elk for the family every year. We generally have at least 4 deer hanging every November and at least 1 elk. We pulled a moose tag for next year, so that will be a new experience. I draw the line on bear as they look to human after you skin them. Pretty spooky to say the least!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 06:49:25 AM »

That was my error when I brought this over, and posted the bonfire.

The newspaper article points out what you did, but the primitives in their comments give another impression.  I should've clarified that, but got lazy.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 07:52:03 AM »
Kosher slaughtering requires humane killing...

...but I doubt those iiots would give due credit.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 08:34:54 AM »
It seemed to me everyone was figuring the kill was done on-site. I missed the 11 mile comment as I rarely read all the way thru DUmbass posts. After reading my fellow posters comments, which I always take the time to read, it appeared they were in agreement it was on-site, thus very un-sanitary.

Hence the comment that I believe my reading comprehension is at least up to par.

I have butchered rabbits, chickens, turkeys, pigs and cattle myself. When I could afford it, I farmed it out to those who could do it in 1/4 the time it took me. I raise 3 hogs a year and a steer every 2. I still butcher all the deer and elk for the family every year. We generally have at least 4 deer hanging every November and at least 1 elk. We pulled a moose tag for next year, so that will be a new experience. I draw the line on bear as they look to human after you skin them. Pretty spooky to say the least!

Yes they do but the meat is really good! :cheersmate:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 09:14:58 AM »
So I take it they talk nicely to the animal before they shoot it in the face??

Nah, they serve Ameglian Major Cow. The cow comes to the table and talks to you, outlines it's choicest parts and then nips off to the kitchen to shoot itself.

H5 to the first one who gets this without Googling.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 09:23:20 AM »
It's got to be Thumb related. :)

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 09:57:20 AM »

Nah, they serve Ameglian Major Cow. The cow comes to the table and talks to you, outlines it's choicest parts and then nips off to the kitchen to shoot itself.

H5 to the first one who gets this without Googling.

From Douglas Adams perhaps?  Maybe the Restaurant at the End of the Universe?  Jus' guessing.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.