Author Topic: thunderthighs scores  (Read 1844 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
thunderthighs scores
« on: May 02, 2015, 10:24:53 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/115752437

Oh my.

By the way, thunderthighs has been posting a lot in the dope forum, usually about efforts to get some sort of pesticide popular with dope-growers banned.  Apparently it causes weed-smokers some, uh, problems.

<<<am wholly in favor of using dangerous pesticides on worthless weeds.

Anyway.

fizzgig (22,668 posts)    Sat May 2, 2015, 05:57 PM

got a good haul at the farmer's market today

there's a stand that gives you a five-pound (plastic) potato sack for ten bucks and you can cram in all the produce that fits and i always stop there. i still have potatoes and onions from last week and today i got radishes, beets, a very large amount of asparagus, tomatoes and green onions. the beets and asparagus are for family dinner tomorrow (we're roasting a chicken in my dad's new oven) and the rest will likely pull sandwich and salad duty.

i also scored some lemon bars and baklava.

it was totally worth getting rained on.

elleng (55,101 posts)    Sat May 2, 2015, 06:02 PM

1. Sounds good, fizz!

I got a roasted chicken for my dinners at grocery earlier, and my landlord/neighbor JUST gave me a bunch of asparagus; said he'd give me more Thursday. GOOD dinners!

fizzgig (22,668 posts)    Sat May 2, 2015, 06:22 PM

2. roast chicken and veggies is one of my comfort foods

i think i'm going to roast the chicken on top of the beets and some carrots and then roast the asparagus while the chicken is resting and being carved. it screams out for a salad, i know, but neither dad nor sister are big on salad. i'll just abscond with some of the leftover chicken and make myself a big salad the next day.

grasswire (42,917 posts)    Sat May 2, 2015, 07:16 PM

3. my farmers market opens tomorrow!!

I will have to make a quick trip in the morning; busy day.

I'm hoping to score some beautiful flowers for my aunt's birthday; she will be 92 on Monday. Best would be sweet peas, but prolly still a couple of weeks early for those. And the lilacs are prolly gone now, early.

No idea what produce will be available tomorrow. I do need to get tomato starts, but won't have time to browse for them.

Yayyyyyy!! Farmers market!!

By the way, Judy grasswire's pal, the hippywife primitive Mrs. Alfred Packer, seems to have gone away again, after a short reunion with the cooking and baking primitives.

No great loss; I sort of suspected Mrs. Alfred Packer had learned of the demise of dear old sweet Lu, eaten alive from the inside out by hookworm because she was too modest to lift her skirt and drop her panties so the physician could see the problem and treat it, and so hippywife came back with the idea of re-conquesting the cooking and baking forum for her own devious purposes.

But the late dear old sweet Lu had let the forum wobble away into decreptitude during Mrs. Alfred Packer's absence, and not finding things as they once were, hippywife wandered on to more fertile places to spew her anti-Oklahomans bile.

- - - - - - - - - - -

This is likely to be franksolich's only post of the day, as I'm out of sorts.  I went to the barber yesterday (Friday) to get the hair trimmed, the way he's always trimmed it the past nearly fifteen years, so as to keep covered up the absences of ears.

He was away at a funeral, but a good-looking young chick was in his place, and offered to cut it for me.  Unable to resist the wiles of an aesthetic woman, I said yeah, sure, and sat down.

She asked me how I wanted it cut, and in a fit of utter insanity, being distracted by so many attractive qualities about her, told her "any way you think it makes me look good."

I seriously regret saying that, and am typing this with a swimmer's rubber cap bound over my head, as she cut it so the absence of ears would show.

franksolich's absent ears are not for public view; I'd rather be caught naked, than with the sides of my head uncovered by hair.

- - - - - - - - - -

On another note, I checked to see if the cooking and baking primitives have ever discussed canning; they have, but they didn't give any answer to a question franksolich has.

This might sound as if something out of the Old Frontier Days in Nebraska (circa 1880-1910), but actually it was something still going on when I was growing up, as late as the 1960s and 1970s.

My mother of Sacred Memory, like just about everybody else's mother in the area, used to make her own jams and jellies; after all, fresh fruit grew prolifically, both alongside the Platte River where I was a little lad, and then in the heart of the Sandhills, where I was a sullen, saturnine adolescent.

Everything that was fruit, and freely available for the harvesting, she made jams and jellies.  Not being a gourmand, I never paid much attention, but such jams and jellies included everything from strawberries to grapes to any one of about two dozen sorts of berries to cherries.

The only thing my mother never tried was corncob jelly, made from exactly what its name implies; it was popular, and apparently good, but my mother being born and raised in northeastern Pennsylvania, was picky about what she'd use.

Anyway.

She canned them in one-pint Mason jars, but before putting on the lids, while the impurities were being boiled out, she also put wax--paraffin--in the jars, so when the jams and jellies cooled, there'd be a thick disk of wax at the top, when one first opened the lid.

What was the purpose of the wax, does one suppose?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: thunderthighs scores
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 01:59:00 AM »
All that farmer's market fare should result in giraffe legs, not thunder thighs.
Something is out of whack here, and I think it's fizz's thighs.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline RayRaytheSBS

• "There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men."
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 04:07:47 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/115752437

Oh my.

By the way, thunderthighs has been posting a lot in the dope forum, usually about efforts to get some sort of pesticide popular with dope-growers banned.  Apparently it causes weed-smokers some, uh, problems.

<<<am wholly in favor of using dangerous pesticides on worthless weeds.

Anyway.

By the way, Judy grasswire's pal, the hippywife primitive Mrs. Alfred Packer, seems to have gone away again, after a short reunion with the cooking and baking primitives.

No great loss; I sort of suspected Mrs. Alfred Packer had learned of the demise of dear old sweet Lu, eaten alive from the inside out by hookworm because she was too modest to lift her skirt and drop her panties so the physician could see the problem and treat it, and so hippywife came back with the idea of re-conquesting the cooking and baking forum for her own devious purposes.

But the late dear old sweet Lu had let the forum wobble away into decreptitude during Mrs. Alfred Packer's absence, and not finding things as they once were, hippywife wandered on to more fertile places to spew her anti-Oklahomans bile.

- - - - - - - - - - -

This is likely to be franksolich's only post of the day, as I'm out of sorts.  I went to the barber yesterday (Friday) to get the hair trimmed, the way he's always trimmed it the past nearly fifteen years, so as to keep covered up the absences of ears.

He was away at a funeral, but a good-looking young chick was in his place, and offered to cut it for me.  Unable to resist the wiles of an aesthetic woman, I said yeah, sure, and sat down.

She asked me how I wanted it cut, and in a fit of utter insanity, being distracted by so many attractive qualities about her, told her "any way you think it makes me look good."

I seriously regret saying that, and am typing this with a swimmer's rubber cap bound over my head, as she cut it so the absence of ears would show.

franksolich's absent ears are not for public view; I'd rather be caught naked, than with the sides of my head uncovered by hair.

- - - - - - - - - -

On another note, I checked to see if the cooking and baking primitives have ever discussed canning; they have, but they didn't give any answer to a question franksolich has.

This might sound as if something out of the Old Frontier Days in Nebraska (circa 1880-1910), but actually it was something still going on when I was growing up, as late as the 1960s and 1970s.

My mother of Sacred Memory, like just about everybody else's mother in the area, used to make her own jams and jellies; after all, fresh fruit grew prolifically, both alongside the Platte River where I was a little lad, and then in the heart of the Sandhills, where I was a sullen, saturnine adolescent.

Everything that was fruit, and freely available for the harvesting, she made jams and jellies.  Not being a gourmand, I never paid much attention, but such jams and jellies included everything from strawberries to grapes to any one of about two dozen sorts of berries to cherries.

The only thing my mother never tried was corncob jelly, made from exactly what its name implies; it was popular, and apparently good, but my mother being born and raised in northeastern Pennsylvania, was picky about what she'd use.

Anyway.

She canned them in one-pint Mason jars, but before putting on the lids, while the impurities were being boiled out, she also put wax--paraffin--in the jars, so when the jams and jellies cooled, there'd be a thick disk of wax at the top, when one first opened the lid.

What was the purpose of the wax, does one suppose?

I'm not sure about the wax, Frank, but I recall my grandmother(who grew up during the depression and after her husband died, ran the family farm by herself for 20 years) doing the exact thing with jelly jars as well. I recall opening jars of her blackberry jam that she sent with us and it would have that layer of wax on top. It didn't hinder anything, but that was the only one I recall being packed that way. Maybe something to do with the tin lid changing the flavor of the Jelly/jam?

Doing a little Nadining, I found that it was a method of preserving the jelly that has gone out of style. What it doesn't do compared to screw on lids with the water bath method (which is the preferred method of sealing cans for home use today) is provide a vacuum in the jar, which is what really helps preserve the food.

I could see it being useful on the prairie in the turn of the century though. Wax would be reusable, and probably more plentiful than the tin lids, but still provide a seal for the Jam/Jelly.
“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms”

“The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion ... and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself - ultimate cost for perfect value.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline cmypay

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 07:17:56 AM »
I can the majority of our fruits and vegetables over the summer. Jams and jellies are the only thing that can be sealed with wax. I don't use this method because the preservation time is more limited with the wax seal.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 07:56:04 AM »
All that farmer's market fare should result in giraffe legs, not thunder thighs.
Something is out of whack here, and I think it's fizz's thighs.

It's the 'fizzy plan', her idea of a balanced diet.

1/4 of her diet are gut bombs; 1/4 are beer; 1/4 are pot-laced baked goods; 1/8 are Cheetos; and 1/8 are healthy foods from the farmers' market.

Add to that her exercise regimen: waddle down  to the local watering hole, drink copious amounts of beer, stagger home, and pass out on the lawn.

She built that pear shape. She owns it.

The reason she's so depressed is that Mr. Fizz can't roll her in flour and go for the wet spot. He's allergic to gluten.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 09:40:26 AM »
I'm not sure about the wax, Frank, but I recall my grandmother(who grew up during the depression and after her husband died, ran the family farm by herself for 20 years) doing the exact thing with jelly jars as well. I recall opening jars of her blackberry jam that she sent with us and it would have that layer of wax on top. It didn't hinder anything, but that was the only one I recall being packed that way. Maybe something to do with the tin lid changing the flavor of the Jelly/jam?

Doing a little Nadining, I found that it was a method of preserving the jelly that has gone out of style. What it doesn't do compared to screw on lids with the water bath method (which is the preferred method of sealing cans for home use today) is provide a vacuum in the jar, which is what really helps preserve the food.

I could see it being useful on the prairie in the turn of the century though. Wax would be reusable, and probably more plentiful than the tin lids, but still provide a seal for the Jam/Jelly.

Thank you, sir; I always wondered what was up with that, those thick wax discs sitting atop the jam or jelly in the jar.

I used to of course watch her, but it takes a lot of time and trouble explaining something to a deaf child, and I was aware of it--the older brothers and sisters set me right on this from infancy, how much trouble it was--but being polite, never bothered asking her why she was doing it.

<<<have seen people do a lot of things, but rarely asks the "why" of it, lest someone beats me up for asking.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 09:41:54 AM »
I can the majority of our fruits and vegetables over the summer. Jams and jellies are the only thing that can be sealed with wax. I don't use this method because the preservation time is more limited with the wax seal.

And thank you, sir; both you and Ray cleared up something that's bugged me, well, all my life.

Until now.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 09:51:29 AM »
The reason she's so depressed is that Mr. Fizz can't roll her in flour and go for the wet spot. He's allergic to gluten.

See, that's part--but only a part--of thunderthighs' problem, her sleazeball hubby.

She says she loves him dearly, but deep down inside, she knows he doesn't respect her.

thunderthighs thought it was "cute" when he showed up for their wedding dressed like a slobbish bum, but she has no idea why men do, when we do things like this.

Most self-respecting men are eminently comfortable being casual and laid back, but most self-respecting men are also sensitive to the wishes and hopes of their women.

So if it's important to her that he dress up, he will; after all, it's only for a couple of hours, no big deal.

thunderthighs, not knowing what goes on in the minds of men, supposes he was just "being himself."

Actually, he was emitting his contempt for her.

<<a man; knows how the minds of men work.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 10:05:23 AM »
comment 2810:
http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=81827.2800

One looks at that, and wonders--"my God, woman, you're not that much yourself, but couldn't you've done better than him?"
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 10:08:15 AM »
Further - and I am speculating a bit - most bacteria, including the one that causes botulism, needs oxygen to grow. The partial vacuum caused by the boil-and-seal method deprives any bacteria that survived the boiling of oxygen, and keeps bacteria out.

The wax in what frank described would do similarly. Being lighter than what is being canned, it floats to the top during cooling and solidifies into an airtight seal. I'm guessing that time and ambient temperature changes compromise that seal more quickly that the seal between the rubber gasket and jar rim.

And, because the wax was used in candles and was commonly available, it's probably cheaper and more available than the jar lids, which are supposed to be single-use; and reusable, as noted above. The wax method also allows using whatever jars are on hand rather than having to use canning jars of the same mouth size as the lids.

Living through the 12 years or so of the Great Depression necessitated great frugality and ingenuity, as did living through WW2 food rationing. Vegetable gardens and canning were common among rural folk and friends helped friends, out of sheer necessity.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 10:24:21 AM »
comment 2810:

One looks at that, and wonders--"my God, woman, you're not that much yourself, but couldn't you've done better than him?"

I dunno, he may have a great hairstyle soon. :bolt:

And she is a bit Lena-Dunham-esque :bolt: :bolt: :bolt:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xqTG3Y4SEo[/youtube]
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 10:31:24 AM »
Living through the 12 years or so of the Great Depression necessitated great frugality and ingenuity, as did living through WW2 food rationing. Vegetable gardens and canning were common among rural folk and friends helped friends, out of sheer necessity.

Yeah.  I dunno if the maternal ancestress, who was a little girl in the anthracite regions of northeastern Pennsylvania during the Depression, learned it then, or learned it after the family--minus the two of us yet to be born--moved from New York City to west-central Nebraska.

I'm guessing--although I could be wrong--that upon their arrival into the breadbasket of America, she was astounded by how much food was out here, both professionally and wildly grown, and that of the latter, freely available for the taking.

And she probably thought, "wow, this is good stuff, and there's s-o-o-o-o-o much of it, it'd be a pity to not use it for something."

<<<the guy, who has so much food around here up in the other corner of Nebraska, who when bored, sits on the back porch with friends and tosses grade A number one first-class eggs out into the gardens beyond the back porch, so they'll crack open and fertilize the thin topsoil of the Sandhills.

I know there's cheapskate primitives who'd rather like to have those eggs, but there's a problem with keeping and transporting those eggs to faraway corrupt Democrat-run blue cities and states.  I put them to the best use I can.  And besides even if I kept and shipped twelve dozen of them to a primitive, the primitive would be ungrateful anyway, because it's not twenty-four dozen.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 10:37:58 AM »
See, that's part--but only a part--of thunderthighs' problem, her sleazeball hubby.

I thought that she was gonna DUmp him.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 10:39:28 AM »
I thought that she was gonna DUmp him.

Well, she should, and has insisted she will, but she won't.

Typical primitive woman.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 10:56:55 AM »
She built that pear shape. She owns it.

Her wedding picture's a little old; she's since acquired thunderthighs, as shown in the self-posted pictures of that recent vacation in Virginia (for which her in-laws paid).

I could write out a long, detailed shopping list of problems thunderthighs has; after all, she's not a very complex person.

Another one of them is that incessant internecine warfare against herself, on the inside.  She's said she's never wanted to bear infants, and so abortion's fine-and-dandy with her.

She's a woman; she's struggling against her femme genetics, which dictates a need, a desire--no matter how suppressed--to bear infants, at least one.

Our friend BainsBane has the same origin for her despondency and despair about things, but the clock's run out on her, the only thing keeping her going any more being mood-altering pharmaceuticals.

thunderthighs has got to obey her deep innermost impulses.....but not with him.

Okay, a new question.  I've of course never been married, and generally have had "here today, gone tomorrow" relations with women--but I've always been intrigued that after a woman's had an infant, she becomes more mellow and laid-back, and gets along with men better.

It's probably because she's more fulfilled and level-headed, because she obeyed her genetics, even if it's just one.

Has anyone else ever noticed this phenomenon?

I swear, if BainsBane ever had an infant--alas too late now--we here would've found her company more pleasant.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 11:08:36 AM »
I just got this image of jugs lying like a sow in the mud with eight piglets suckling her sour milk.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »
comment 2810:

Converse tennis shoes, with a suit/tux????  ON YOUR WEDDING DAY????

WTH!!!!!    :confused:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 03:33:24 PM »
Converse tennis shoes, with a suit/tux????  ON YOUR WEDDING DAY????

WTH!!!!!    :confused:

With the shoelaces purposely left untied too.

I tell you, the rectal aperture was demonstrating his subconscious contempt for thunderthighs.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline dixierose

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 06:15:38 PM »
Frank,

Your question about homemade jelly brought back a lot of great memories for me. My grandma would make blackberry jelly every year. I loved putting that on her homemade biscuits.

:drool:

When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 07:40:20 PM »
Mom always used a paraffin seal on jam and jelly jars. You don't have to do jelly in a pressure cooker because of the pectin in it I believe mom told me.  And she had one pressure cooker that would have made the Boston Bombers drool.  That sucker was huge, used for quarts I believe.  When I was real little I use to hate to go down to the root cellar.  Canned chicken anyone?    We were poor as church mice back then but we ate good.  Mom canned everything.  Real mince meat was made with venison back then.  The commercial stuff just isn't the same.   
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 08:04:03 PM »
With the shoelaces purposely left untied too.

I tell you, the rectal aperture was demonstrating his subconscious contempt for thunderthighs.

She knows that, but she loves all the loot he steals at work.