Author Topic: Black Lives Matter in Jamaica: debates about colourism follow anger at police br  (Read 687 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.yahoo.com/news/black-lives-matter-jamaica-debates-125056455.html

Black Lives Matter in Jamaica: debates about colourism follow anger at police brutality

Across the world, Black Lives Matter protests are continuing in the wake of the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. In the US and many European countries, protests have led to the toppling of colonial and slavery monuments and demands for far-reaching changes to address systemic racism.

But Black Lives Matter protests have also been held in black-majority countries where they have raised some uncomfortable truths. In Jamaica, protest and public debate in recent weeks have focused on the island’s high rate of homicides by police and other social injustices. But they have also raised debates about colourism – discrimination against people with a dark skin tone.

On June 6, a small Black Lives Matter protest was held outside the US embassy in Kingston. Protesters focused particularly on extrajudicial killings by police and other security forces. According to Amnesty International, Jamaica has one of the highest rates of lethal police shootings in the world.

SNIP

A lot more at the link.  Pretty interesting read.  One that should probably be posted at DU!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
colourism – discrimination against people with a dark skin tone.

Uh huh.  One need only look at the maiaise primitive, one of the 1% of Jamaica, whose skin tone is more yellow than black.

As one well-versed in the society and culture of Jamaica, I'm well aware of this phenomenon.

There's no doubt that the malaise primitive's security guards and domestic help are midnight-black.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Uh huh.  One need only look at the maiaise primitive, one of the 1% of Jamaica, whose skin tone is more yellow than black.

As one well-versed in the society and culture of Jamaica, I'm well aware of this phenomenon.

There's no doubt that the malaise primitive's security guards and domestic help are midnight-black.

And yet Mal, doesn't educate those at DU about the nightmares in her own backyard.  I wonder why that is?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline jukin

Well when the next hurricane wipes Jamaica out, **** THEM. No aid. No food, no money, no medical supplies. NOTHING.  Show them how racist America is.  I'm sure that Africa will come their aid.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Old n Grumpy

I worked in Kingston in the mid 70's and early 80's. it was a violent shit hole even back than. Violence between political parties and from gun weilding thugs was rampant.

It may sound racist but the truth of the matter is blacks just can't seem to govern themselves peacefully.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!