Author Topic: MM: Willfully ignorant, or just plain ignorant?  (Read 742 times)

Offline Mary Ann

MM: Willfully ignorant, or just plain ignorant?
« on: May 02, 2021, 09:58:20 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215393188
Sun May 2, 2021, 10:40 AM
Star Member MineralMan (137,611 posts)

The Entire Transgender Athlete Controversy is Bullshit from the Right

Republicans, in general, and uber-religious Republicans in particular, are desperately trying to make this into a real, pressing issue. It's not a real, pressing issue, though. Not really.

There are a few transgender kids in every school. A very few. There are even fewer transgender athletes, because most kids in school are not athletes in the first place.

Do transgender women have an advantage over cisgender women? Probably no more of an advantage than very athletic people have over those with less skill, strength, hard work and talent have. The vanishingly few transgender athletes are in competition with other athletes. They will win or lose, based on their hard work, talent, and skills, not their gender identification.

The argument that is being used is a just a subterfuge from the right. They aren't actually concerned with it at all. They are concerned with their invalid perception of sinfulness. They can't successfully argue that, so they use subterfuge.

They say, "Transgender women are stronger, faster, and more athletic, so they shouldn't be allowed to compete in women's athletic events." That's what they say. What they mean is "I don't like the whole idea of transgender people at all. They shouldn't be allowed to do anything, because God or something."

Then, there is the fear ploy. They say, "We can't let people with penises share facilities with cisgender females. They are a threat to our precious girls." More subterfuge and bullshit. They have no examples of transgender women assaulting cisgender women in those facilities, so they resort to lying to attempt to create fear.

It's all bullshit from the religious right, which is neither religious nor right. The reality is that it's not actually a real issue in the first place. It never was. It's yet another made-up issue designed to attack people the religious right doesn't like.
For the "vanishingly few" biological females who lose scholarships, medals, records, etc. to bio males who wear dresses and claim they are girls, this is a real, pressing issue, and I don't know how anyone can see it any differently.

I'll type slowly, so Mineral Man can hopefully comprehend, if he chances to look at this. Biological males are built to be bigger, stronger, faster than bio females. And probably moreso in athletic bio males. Bio males, who are probably average athletes when competing with other bio males, are winning competitions against girls. They have an unfair advantage. They are STEALING their scholarships, medals, and records. I won't bother to include links, because they are readily available to anyone whose head isn't firmly up his butt.

Furthermore, while I would agree that sexual assault by bio males in women's locker rooms is probably not an issue, the biggest objection I have is that I don't want my granddaughter (or any other girl) to become inured to taking her clothes off in the presence of biological males, regardless of how they "identify." When that boundary is crossed, there is no going back.

Please Mineral Man, stick to writing about stuff you know about. Like collecting junk, or whatever.

Offline ADsOutburst

Re: MM: Willfully ignorant, or just plain ignorant?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 10:06:33 AM »
"They don't actually care" is the mantra of people with no argument.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 10:23:27 AM »
Do transgender women have an advantage over cisgender women? Probably no more of an advantage than very athletic people have over those with less skill, strength, hard work and talent have.

I think he just called female athletes lazy and untalented.

But, if it were about equality we ought to see a proportional number of female-to-male transgendered athletes looking to join male sports.

We don't.

Because they know they don't stand a chance.

Or maybe they're just lazy and untalented.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 10:30:38 AM »
My best answer to the thread title question: Yes
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 10:42:23 AM »
Ocelot II (93,706 posts)

19. Not so.

Trans children - at least those whose states haven't decided that medical care is child abuse - usually receive hormone therapy when they reach puberty. A trans girl would be given medication to suppress the production of testosterone, in order to prevent her from developing typical male characteristics. She might end up being a little taller but she will not develop the male musculature that would make her able to compete unfairly with cis girls. The entire controversy, which shouldn't be a controversy at all, is being ginned up by the right wing because they need another scapegoat. It's not about sports (when did the GQP ever care about women's sports at all?), it's ostensibly about bathrooms, and it's really about choosing a small, powerless group of people they consider to be odd and that they can easily portray as a threat.
Un, no. All they have to do is **SAY** they identify as girls, and the left falls all over themselves, treating them as if they were. Including standing up for their "right" to compete against bio females on h.s. sports team. If Ocelot's claim were actually true, it wouldn't be such a big deal. But, she's wrong.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 11:13:24 AM »
Once you remove God from the equation, then all sorts of immaturity and foolishness will come to fruition.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 11:36:23 AM »
Cheating seems to be a core value of the left
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 11:36:57 AM »
If this is actually the case then, what’s the bruhaha about separate bathrooms?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 12:23:45 PM »
What is NOW's stance on this.......or lack thereof..and why?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Delmar

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 12:29:13 PM »
Response to panader0 (Reply #29)Sun May 2, 2021, 12:46 PM
Star Member MineralMan (137,625 posts)
32. There really isn't any evidence.

That tells me that it is not really an issue. It's all politics and religion. It's all bullshit.

As far as I know, I don't know any transgender people, personally. But, then, I might not know that someone I meet is transgender, in the first place. It's not something I wonder about, frankly.

Try telling that to some genuine girl who got beat out for a college sports scholarship by one of these lumberjack looking trans girls.  Try telling her parents that there are so very few trans girls that it hardly makes a difference. 

There aren't a whole hell of a lot of unarmed black men getting killed by white cops--very, very, very few.  Why make a stink about that?
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 12:43:32 PM »
There aren't a whole hell of a lot of unarmed black men getting killed by white cops--very, very, very few.  Why make a stink about that?
Interesting point.
Initech (87,298 posts)

3. I said this on another thread: this is a problem that affects like 0.00000001% of the population.

Yet somehow affects 99.999999% of Fox News viewers.
Any idea about the incidence of unarmed Black men killed by white cops? Probably an equally insignificant number. Yet, it affects 100% of DUpipo.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 01:29:09 PM »
Furthermore, while I would agree that sexual assault by bio males in women's locker rooms is probably not an issue.....

Whoa, madam.  What makes you think it isn't?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2021, 01:39:04 PM »
Whoa, madam.  What makes you think it isn't?
Well, to tell the truth, I don't know that it isn't.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2021, 02:09:13 PM »
Being it's a DUmbass I'm going with dumber than a box of rocks ignorant.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2021, 03:13:34 PM »
Ms. Toad (26,460 posts)

75. I know a number of trans children,

Who have blossomed since their parents listened to them about their gender, including some as young as 7 who were suicidal prior to that time.

One identified himself at 3 (in a supportive family), and now, at 14 has been on testosterone for a couple of years. As to that child, before identifying as male he was constantly refers to using male pronouns, and once he started identifying as male, even some fundamentalist Christians expressed relief that they didn't constantly have to remind themselves to use female pronouns, since the masculine pronouns were so much more natural for him.

My high school sweetheart knew around age 7. She came out in her late 50s, after believing for decades she had to hide who she was. The past decade and a half have made such a dramatic change in her life - it is tragic that she was told early on that she could not be herself - and had to hate herself and dread that she would lose everything (her career, her wife, her family of origin, her friends), if anyone found out the truth. Fortunately, her hands (a tell for many trans women) have always been small, and she was able to afford facial feminization surgery - so virtually no one misgenders her - but many women who go through puberty flooded with testosterone are never recognized on sight as women.

I know zero trans children who have reclaimed the gender they were assigned at birth, and the only adult trans individuals I know who have done so were women, whose physical appearance made it impossible for then to avoid the abuse our society heaps on gender non-confirming women. For them, it was easier to return to pretending to be male, than to fight being accosted when they entered the bathroom, or to put up with the daily points and stares.
That is an issue that can only be addressed by allowing trans children to go through puberty, with hormones that match their gender identity.
Any parent who allows a 7-year old, or a 3-year old to "identify" him/herself as trans should never have been a parent in the first place. The kid has serious issues, the parents among them. And if, contrary to the established facts of transgenderism, Toad doesn't know ANY kids who have decided they aren't trans after all, then she is in a serious bubble.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2021, 03:56:17 PM »
Ms. Toad (26,460 posts)

75. I know a number of trans children,

Who have blossomed...

Okay, groomer.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline landofconfusion80

One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)