Author Topic: Gay Officers’ Action League banned from participating in New York City Pride  (Read 638 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member left-of-center2012 (27,728 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215433735

Police groups are banned from participating in New York City Pride "effective immediately"

The Gay Officers’ Action League (GOAL) revealed that Heritage of Pride (HOP), the organization that is the organizer of the New York City Pride festivities, has banned official law enforcement participation in their events.

The NYC Pride organizers have long welcomed law enforcement groups to participate, and has partnered with GOAL and other LGBTQ law enforcement groups to criticism over recent years. In a decision they confirmed today, NYC Pride organizers have bought that relationship to an end.

In a statement released this morning, HOP stated to LGBTQ Nation via email, “effective immediately, NYC Pride will ban corrections and law enforcement exhibitors at NYC Pride events until 2025. They stated, “in the meantime, NYC Pride will transition to providing increased community-based security and first responders, while simultaneously taking steps to reduce NYPD presence at events.”

At last year’s Reclaim Pride march, which protested police brutality in the wake of George Floyd’s death, marchers were pepper sprayed and attacked with batons by NYPD officers covering their badge numbers.

:whatever:

Star Member targetpractice (4,378 posts)

1. This doesn't seem right I've seen many NYC pride parades, and the police section was always was well received. Pride has become a corporate sponsored mess recently. And, frankly not as enjoyable as it once was.

Star Member tonedevil (2,730 posts)

20. Imagine not wanting the members of the gang that brutalized your group last year involved in your event this year.

Sympthsical (1,078 posts)

3. The LGBT community has spent decades trying to cultivate good relationships with law enforcement

Not only to reduce what was historic harassment of the community, but to also recognize and protect against the different and prolific amounts of crime the community was susceptible to.

Decades of effort.

But Twitter says we should give them the finger now, so I guess that's what we're doing.

You know, because gay people can't be cops or something.

14. Reclaim Pride isn't representative of the community

They're a much smaller, more radically leftist subset.

There is, within the community, a small group who do not like it that LGBT individuals have been mainstreaming into society over the years. They consider it "selling out," as if we're all supposed to be constantly protesting everything. The idea of having a boring job, boring marriage, boring house with boring kids is almost offensive to many of them.

I'm very familiar. I can imagine how that whole protest went. And that's not to apologize for shitty police behavior that should absolutely be condemned.

But I'd rather not get dragged into Reclaim's nonsense. When you really dig into their beliefs, there's a lot of shit in there.

It's hard to pin down what their problem is. It's almost as if they're all pissed off we made progress. Being the radical outsider is the entire point of the gay identity for many of them.

Not my cuppa. Not my circus, not my monkeys. But I guess we all now have to get pulled into that orbit. Lovely.

But the open secret that many straight people aren't aware of is that, as LGBTers mainstream into society, a lot of us have pulled away from some of the more radical political aspects of the community. There's less involvement and less a desire to bow to political sensibilities they do not necessarily share.

It's a whole complicated thing.

Reclaim is the group where, if you bring them up in my social circles, we all roll our eyes and go, "Oh God. Those people."

Star Member left-of-center2012 (27,728 posts)

18. I just posted a news article

Not going to debate the pros and cons.

:thatsright:

24. The radical community has become a massive problem

There's a splintering happening in the LGBT community because of them. And the thing is, they're this tiny, tiny, tiny minority within a tiny minority. But Christ, they are LOUD on Twitter. Many lesbians are feeling just plain accosted at this point.

I don't know where or how the term "genital preference" suddenly arrived, but holy hell does that piss me off. It goes against everything I as a gay man have stood and fought for all my life. It literally invalidates our sexual orientation. To be a part of the LGBT community, I have to give up my orientation now? Who the **** authorized this one?!

My trans friends are totally appalled by what goes on.

I had not heard about the Asian restaurant thing at all. What happened? I'm already a simmering pot with anti-Asian discrimination. My in-laws and most of my social group are Asian, and every time an attack happens and gets ignored in liberal circles, I get pissed off all over again. It's pointedly ignored. Probably because it can't be 100% pinned on white folk (But, hey, we had that nice moment a month ago where we all pretended to care for one whole week on social media).

What happened in NY? I googled and couldn't find anything at all.

cinematicdiversions (472 posts)

36. Black Trans Lives Matter

Meanwhile, at another nearby restaurant, Omen Azen, a Japanese eatery on Thompson Street near Prince Street, police confirmed that protesters from Black Trans Lives Matter damaged the outdoor dining area around 10:30 p.m.

I could only find a NY Post article (which is awful) but the video of the same group harassing diners speaks for itself.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/02/protesters-pound-on-windows-at-nyc-outdoor-dining-area-video/

21. I know you tried to preemptively deny it but all I see in your post is police abuse forgiveness. It appears you believe that Reclaim Pride deserved to be beaten. That's being an apologist for police brutally.

:bird:

25. I knew someone would put that in my mouth

It didn't take very long. I'm 100% against police violence. Across the board. Full stop.

I just don't think Pride, which should encompass the entire LGBT community, should start getting involved in political fights that don't include the entire community.

We are not a monolith. We do not share politics by virtue of orientation. Focus on the LGBT stuff for that one day. There are 364 other days a year to get to the rest.

26. It still comes off as not caring about...

police hiding their badges while beating and pepper spraying a crowd. It is hard not to see your post as saying the Reclaim Pride groups deserved it.

A non-gay woke leftist **** tells a gay man what he means...

:whatever:

28. I'm against it no matter who it happens to. But I do not think banning gay police officers from participating in Pride is a solution. When you're excluding other LGBT people from Pride, I mean . . . what is the point of Pride then? Some gays are more equal than others. Meh.

29. We seem to feel considerably differently about police. /nt

30. Pride should be about all LGBT people

Not just the ones we like.

31. I can understand banning a violent gang from an event.

Hassin Bin Sober (24,095 posts)

33. No one is banning gay cops.

They can still attend and enjoy the event. They just can’t do it as cops.

And in case you haven’t noticed, cops have gotten worse in the last 20 years; not better. So I guess hanging around with us gay folks hasn’t worn off on them.

Of course there is a subset of gay people who enjoy “radical leftists” and black folks getting their heads cracked for protesting. A buddy of mine always has his business school gay alumni friends running their traps on his Facebook page - borderline trumpanzees.

:thatsright:

34. If you want a Pride Only For Liberals Who Hold Only These Specific Beliefs

Maybe just advertise it as such. It'd clear up any confusion as to what the event is.

I'm a progressive who is strongly in favor of police reform. They're out of control.

But we can't have One. Single. Day. just about the LGBT community and nothing else? Too much to ask?

Apparently so.

I probably share most of the politics of the organizers. But Pride should be a day of unity, where we come together as the LGBT community and focus on that aspect of our identities. Instead, let's divide. Let's throw in all kinds of shit. Why not? God knows we have nothing else going on.

Star Member FreeState (9,849 posts)

22. The problem

And I say this as a gay white man is that the progress has been made for gay white men and women. Minorities not so much.

::)

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

It's Blue on Blue, :popcorn: . If Libs and Progs won't reflect on the consequences of their ideas then they need to experience those consequences.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?

3. The LGBT community has spent decades trying to cultivate good relationships with law enforcement

Not only to reduce what was historic harassment of the community, but to also recognize and protect against the different and prolific amounts of crime the community was susceptible to.

Decades of effort.

But Twitter says we should give them the finger now, so I guess that's what we're doing.

You know, because gay people can't be cops or something.

I don't see this one lasting long at the DUmp.  Too much common sense and individual thought here and in other comments in the thread.

The bold line might read better as "But the groupthink says..".  Can't be a good moonbat if you're not in proper lockstep (goosestep) with the rest, following orders from the hivemind. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline thundley4

Just a few years ago, cops were being forced to participate in various freak shows in Democrat run cities.

Offline SVPete

Just a few years ago, cops were being forced to participate in various freak shows in Democrat run cities.

:hi5:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Aristotelian

The left forms yet another circular firing squad - what a surprise.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Don't ever stop being you, lefty.

You're almost there.

According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Old n Grumpy

It sounds like it is really complicated to be gay, and here I thought all you had to do was bend over and take it in the pooper. :thatsright:
 :mental: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :-) :-) :-) :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline DUmpDiver

It sounds like it is really complicated to be gay, and here I thought all you had to do was bend over and take it in the pooper. :thatsright:

You have to take it in the pooper WITH PRIDE!

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running

Sometimes you have to push back.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Old n Grumpy

You have to take it in the pooper WITH PRIDE!

Sometimes you have to push back.

You guys are terrible, I love it!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :cheersmate: :cheersmate: :cheersmate: :cheersmate: :cheersmate: :cheersmate: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?

Fascinating part is it really is getting difficult.  The splintering into dozens of genders and orientations plus moonbat's habits of eating their own means things like lesbians have to be ok with dating trannys with their junk still attached, gay men have to be ok with trannies who haven't had their boobs cut off, groups and organizations have to be accepting of whoever claims their orientation or risk being declared unwoke and discriminatory.  Insanity breeds insanity, and when one tears down all rules, one ends up with anarchy. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.