Author Topic: HELP!! DSL to FIOS  (Read 2196 times)

Offline mrclose

HELP!! DSL to FIOS
« on: November 11, 2012, 10:03:11 PM »
I am hoping someone can answer these questions before tuesday.

I am upgrading from verizons DSL to FIOS and as much searching as I have done, I can't seem to find answers to these questions.

First, I am told that it will take from four to six hours for the workers to install, whatever it is (besides) a battery backup to complete the job?

Does this mean that they are going to have to rewire all of my phone jacks?

Do they have to run FIOS cables to every room (5) that has a phone jack or does FIOS run on the same lines as DSL?

My second question involves my two pc's and the netgear equipment.

I run two pc's .. one from the typical westell modem which is also the one connected to the netgear router.

The second pc uses a usb dongle.

Will I have to replace both of these "G" netgear (802.11g 54mbps) pieces of equipment to run at the higher FIOS speed?

Any help will be Greatly appreciated!

An update and even more confusion!

After asking around .. some folks say that the pc will run over existing phone lines 'but' Now I am told, by others that my pc has to be hooked up to a coaxial cable?
(FIOS is coaxial?)

I have comcast cable TV in my rooms but is that where the fios will come from?

I am now officially confused!

I, for now am keeping comcast TV and am only getting internet and phone from verizon fios.

Is that going to be an install for a separate cable for verizon?
"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid."

~ Anonymous

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
Re: HELP!! DSL to FIOS
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 09:42:14 AM »
The easy question is upgrading your equipment. I don't think so. I don't see you running DSL at 54 megs.

It will be cable. FIOS is fiber optics, so your going to have a Fiber optics to coax converter some were.

On my Time Warner system the computer and TV run on the same cable, there is a band pass filter (a little 1''x1'' square with three cable connections) that separates them. The question is will the FIOS people have access to the Comcast equipment or will they have to run another cable. They will only need to run cables to rooms that have computers.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 12:17:09 PM »
I have FIOS in a house that previously had dish.  They had to dig a line for the FIOS cable, from the street to where the box is on the back of my house.  They followed the existing cable to the cable boxes in both rooms, and I have my router next to one of my cable boxes.  Installation took a couple hours, but they had already trenched the yard for the cable.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline mrclose

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 09:15:55 PM »
I think that I have it worked out.
The fiber optic will run to the outside of the house.
From there it is converted to digital.
I will not have to change anything as far as the pc goes.

The fios internet and phone will still use the same phone lines.

It is only the fios TV that uses the cable and I am not getting that.
Capeesh ?

Thanks Everyone!
"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid."

~ Anonymous