Author Topic: computer diagnostics  (Read 3129 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
computer diagnostics
« on: November 10, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »
Since I might get snowed in tonight (Saturday night), I'm looking for a diversion.

Some months ago, I replaced the battery on my old computer, and it went haywire.  I didn't lose anything, but had to create a new administrator's file because all the previous settings had gone to only God knows where.

TVDOC told me that it was probably a minor problem, but of course myself not knowing much about computers anyway, I probably couldn't fix it myself.  He said it was a good computer--and it has been--and suggested I take it to the computer guys in the big city, who'd fix it.

I never got around to that, using this new used computer instead.

But now that snow's going to fly, I'm concerned about what happens if something goes wrong with this computer; it's good to have a spare, rather than having to dash out in -10 degree, 40 mph winds, and knee-high snow to get a replacement.

The last time I was in the computer place in the big city, I was told the first thing the guys there do is run a "diagnostics test" to determine the nature of the problem.

Is there some web-site that can do this, run that "diagnostics test," or is this something I shouldn't mess with?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: computer diagnostics
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 04:11:41 PM »
The thing that caught my eye was losing your admin account by changing your motherboard battery?

That's a problem because the admin profile and the information about it is on your hard drive.

When you change the MB battery all you should lose in stuff in ram and potentially motherboard default settings. None of which have anything to do with your admin account.

My Mom has a laptop which was sending out evil emails, I wound up recovering it from the original media that came with it. (I lose trust of computers that get sick) but I remember she told me that the admin account disappeared.

Anyway, diags should be embeded in the bios, you would have to reboot the box and go into the MB settings to find those diags (how to do that is dependant on the manufacturer) but those are just for the hardware.

Software diags is a tougher question. Like I said, when a pc starts screwing up and acting sick I recover it from media.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 04:18:16 PM »
Frank, in short, unless it's a Dell or maybe some other brands with built in diagnostics, no. You shouldn't have lost any data when you swapped out the motherboard battery. Like EK said, those are completely independent of each other. I would recommend this site for testing: http://www.pcpitstop.com/
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 04:26:34 PM »
Frank, in short, unless it's a Dell or maybe some other brands with built in diagnostics, no. You shouldn't have lost any data when you swapped out the motherboard battery. Like EK said, those are completely independent of each other. I would recommend this site for testing: http://www.pcpitstop.com/

I have no experience with pcpitstop but my understanding with this type of website is that you get a diagnostic report for free but you have to pay to get anything fixed.

I'm not saying whether this is good or bad I'm just saying.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 04:42:25 PM »

Okay, thanks.

I'm resigning myself to taking it to the big city after all then.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 04:58:13 PM »
I was told, when I went in to pay my monthly internet bill, that their minimum charge is $45 for the computer diagnostics test, and that if in fact as TVDOC thinks, the problem's really minor (but I myself have not the competence to fix it), then they just go ahead and fix it, charging nothing additional.

Is this a good price?

And by the way, yes, they do do minor repairs at no charge; your usual standard evil Christian Republican white bloodsuckers.

They're great people there.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »
$45 is a good price.  Most places charge $60 and $90 or more.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 05:07:04 PM »
Well, nobody is going to swap out a motherboard for $45 bucks I reckon.

If they do you are not being done any favors I would think.

I don't know, my experience is that the tech has to look at what the pc is doing, look at the hardware diags, and then do some troubleshooting (swapping out daughterboards, ram, processors, daughtercards and whatnot.)

$45 is probably not a bad price for troubleshooting but it is the fix that will be more interesting.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 08:50:59 AM »
$45 is a good price.  Most places charge $60 and $90 or more.

I would think a good copy of Hiren Boot Disk would be a great help for Frank to have on hand.

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

I have given it to several friends so that when they have problems I just have them boot that and go from there over the phone.  What do you think?  I realize phones might be a bit problematic for Frank but it he has another machine up text could work too.

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline tac

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 08:37:26 PM »
Since I might get snowed in tonight (Saturday night), I'm looking for a diversion.

Some months ago, I replaced the battery on my old computer, and it went haywire.  I didn't lose anything, but had to create a new administrator's file because all the previous settings had gone to only God knows where.

TVDOC told me that it was probably a minor problem, but of course myself not knowing much about computers anyway, I probably couldn't fix it myself.  He said it was a good computer--and it has been--and suggested I take it to the computer guys in the big city, who'd fix it.

I never got around to that, using this new used computer instead.

But now that snow's going to fly, I'm concerned about what happens if something goes wrong with this computer; it's good to have a spare, rather than having to dash out in -10 degree, 40 mph winds, and knee-high snow to get a replacement.

The last time I was in the computer place in the big city, I was told the first thing the guys there do is run a "diagnostics test" to determine the nature of the problem.

Is there some web-site that can do this, run that "diagnostics test," or is this something I shouldn't mess with?

Check CNET.com they have free software downloads that you can use to check your system. You didn't mention what you wanted to check so I'll assume it's software.

If you just want a system for standby, in case your present system crashes, get a tablet. Prices are dropping like a rock and for general internet use they are perfect.
When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

The more laws, the less justice.
Marcus Tullius Cicero