Author Topic: how come  (Read 3068 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
how come
« on: November 04, 2012, 12:22:57 AM »
Okay, I know, yeah, yeah, yeah, franksolich is still in the Model T stage when it comes to computers.

Through the kindness--and patience--of TVDOC some months ago, I learned how to put stuff on blank compact discs.

It went well, and the stuff exported from one computer to another came out, no problems.

However.

How come I can't delete anything on the compact discs?  I do the "right click" thing, as I do everywhere else, and there's no option to delete.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: how come
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 12:27:41 AM »
Depends what kind of discs you purchased and how it was copied.  CD-R discs can't be changed once they're burned.  CD-RW discs are re-usable but require a program like Roxio, Nero, or InfraRecorder to do so with Windows XP.

I don't think XP will delete files that way, but I've never tried it.  It's obviously not working for you.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Delmar

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 12:36:23 AM »
If the disks contain any data that could be connected to the demise of the late red round one, they should probably be shredded and thrown away but not all at the same time--discard the pieces in different dumpsters all over town.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 12:36:51 AM »
Depends what kind of discs you purchased and how it was copied.  CD-R discs can't be changed once they're burned.  CD-RW discs are re-usable but require a program like Roxio, Nero, or InfraRecorder to do so with Windows XP.

I don't think XP will delete files that way, but I've never tried it.  It's obviously not working for you.

Okay, I checked.  I'd gone cheap on compact discs because I was new to the whole idea; I got the first package, Maxwell CD-R (80 min 700 mb), 6 per package, at Walgreen's in the big city for seven bucks.  So far I've used one of those, where I can't delete any junk that I put on it and don't want any more.

And then last month, because I felt badly about having to return a non-working staple-gun to the hardware store in town, I bought some stuff, including a package, Maxwell DVD+R (120 min 4.7 gb), 5 per package for $3.59.  I haven't used any of those yet; in fact I haven't even opened the package yet.

Okay, so I'm resigned to junk on compact discs, although I do get anal about having stuff I don't want or need.

The stuff was downloaded from a Window XP computer and re-read on this Windows Vista computer. if that's relevant.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 12:38:03 AM »
If your new computer has Vista, you should be able to use CD-RW discs with no problems.

I buy the cheap ones too.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 12:40:13 AM »
If the disks contain any data that could be connected to the demise of the late red round one, they should probably be shredded and thrown away but not all at the same time--discard the pieces in different dumpsters all over town.

Nope, word documents and thousands of scanned family photographs which I'd transferred twice, not aware that they'd "taken" the first time (remember, I'd never done this before).

One learns.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 12:42:35 AM »
If your new computer has Vista, you should be able to use CD-RW discs with no problems.

I buy the cheap ones too.

Until I use up these CD-R compact discs, I'll just try to not transfer duplicate or superfluous material.

Then when I use all these up, I'll look for CD-RW compact discs, to see if that works.

I've used only one CD-R compact disc thus far, and it's about one-third "full."  I don't do movies or music or stuff; just word documents and scanned family photographs.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 02:08:41 AM »
CD-R's are cheap enough that it's never occurred to me to delete something from one.

Before I moved over to solid state memory for quick and portable storage - I used CD's like notepads. If I didn't like what was in the disc or needed to update it - I'd just burn a new copy on a new disk and add the old one to the pile of discards.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 03:24:05 AM »
LC brings up a good point. Why use a CD or DVD when you can use solid state memory? Flash drives can cost slightly more than the packet of CDs you have, will hold 100's of the amount of data, and can be erased and reused. You only need to have an available USB port.

16GB Sandisk Cruzer $9.85

Offline Zeus

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 01:38:06 PM »
Hewlett Packard HP Portable 1 TB USB 3.0/2.0 External Hard Drive by HP  $85.00 used & new

Product Features
Capacity: 1 TB
Dual USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility
Up to 3x faster transfer rates with USB 3.0
High-capacity portable storage
USB-powered - no power supply needed
Preformatted for Windows
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.