Author Topic: Check out Newegg's Black Fridays sales  (Read 4853 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Check out Newegg's Black Fridays sales
« on: November 12, 2010, 11:00:28 AM »
I recently purchased a 2 TB hard drive from Newegg for $100. Now they have the same one on sale for $80 (free ship, too)

http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail/nov-0-2010/72hourn12/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL111210&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL111210-_-EMC-111210-Index-_-E0-_-IT#IT

Right now, I wish I had a couple of thousand to "blow"....   :(
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Check out Newegg's Black Fridays sales
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:03:10 AM »
Oh man, I've got to get in on that. :hyper:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:30:58 AM »
Oh man, I've got to get in on that. :hyper:

Geez....what do you guys put on those massive drives??  The biggest drive that I've got is 80 gig, and it is only about a third utilized...... :popcorn:

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 11:34:29 AM »
Personally, I have two operating systems on my computer (Windows, Linux) and I'm planning on a third (Mac) once I get the emulator to work.  I'll probably have four once I get Windows 7 installed.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:45:09 AM »
Personally, I have two operating systems on my computer (Windows, Linux) and I'm planning on a third (Mac) once I get the emulator to work.  I'll probably have four once I get Windows 7 installed.

And I assume that you use it for work stuff......dunno.....unless you are editing video, I just could never see a use for all that drive space.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 11:57:43 AM »
And I assume that you use it for work stuff......dunno.....unless you are editing video, I just could never see a use for all that drive space.

doc

Like BillGates once said, "I could never see a use of any more than 640 K of RAM" or something stupid like that....

I have 100+ GB of MP3s, plus I want to record ALL of my vinyl to disk. I also have videos which I've found on the net and watch. Things like that eat up drive space REAL quick. (Sparky will be on me for my grammar before long.....)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 12:17:37 PM »
I'm hesitant about buying DVDs since my apartment got burglarized and I lost a few thousand dollars worth of media.  I'd rather have backup copies of all my stuff.  Also, my computer is connected to my TV which makes them easier to watch that way.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 05:38:50 PM »
I could open a real can of worms and put a wireless card on the 3rd computer in the basement and get that one on the 'net....

At least, I think that's what is needed.   :xpoke:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 05:43:30 PM »
I could open a real can of worms and put a wireless card on the 3rd computer in the basement and get that one on the 'net....

At least, I think that's what is needed.   :xpoke:

Where's your router?? A hard line is mo betta, but not always easily accomplished.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 08:16:41 PM »
Where's your router?? A hard line is mo betta, but not always easily accomplished.

The router is pretty much on the north wall of the house and the computer in the basement is about smack in the middle. I'd wager 60-70 feet as the crow flies, probably closer to 70.

My router is about 6 years old now. Do the newer routers have more oomph with their ability to transmit/receive?

Hardlining it to the computer would require drilling through a very nice hardwood floor where the floor and the baseboard meet - not exactly something I'm keen to do if I don't have to.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 11:23:19 PM »
The router is pretty much on the north wall of the house and the computer in the basement is about smack in the middle. I'd wager 60-70 feet as the crow flies, probably closer to 70.

My router is about 6 years old now. Do the newer routers have more oomph with their ability to transmit/receive?

Hardlining it to the computer would require drilling through a very nice hardwood floor where the floor and the baseboard meet - not exactly something I'm keen to do if I don't have to.

Newegg had a WRT54G on sale for $60. Get the big antennae and you're set. (Thinking of it, don't you already have the WRT54g??)

You might want to add this on your router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833980018

As far as ethernet, I'd probably suggest finding someone to fish a hardline through. If that basement is unfinished, then it's really cake. If it's finished, that's a little tougher. Hardline 10/100/1000 ethernet is the best way to go if it is at all practical.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 07:20:02 AM »
Newegg had a WRT54G on sale for $60. Get the big antennae and you're set. (Thinking of it, don't you already have the WRT54g??)

You might want to add this on your router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833980018

As far as ethernet, I'd probably suggest finding someone to fish a hardline through. If that basement is unfinished, then it's really cake. If it's finished, that's a little tougher. Hardline 10/100/1000 ethernet is the best way to go if it is at all practical.

I'll order the antenna, as that's the lowest cost option right now. If push comes to shove, I can look into fishing the line through. The worst part is in the office area, which is finished. Once I get below the floor, that part of the house is unfinished and it's relatively easy from there.

Question is, for the computer itself, am I looking for a "wireless adapter?" Like this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 08:28:28 AM »
That should work. Hell, you may even find that you won't need the additional antennae set. It all depends on how much metal and other stuff is in between. I prefer internal cards, but that's me.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 08:58:54 AM »

Forgot to mention - yes, I have the WRT54G.

And I sometimes have the laptop on the other side of the house. The extra antenna should boost the signal that much more.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 09:04:08 AM »
BTW, I was talking a wall fish, not drilling a hole through the flooring..... (just to be clear)

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 09:09:12 AM »
You might want to check these out: http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-9dBi-Booster-OMNI-Directional-High-Gain/dp/B003284472 That's similar to what's on my WRT54G. Mine reaches next door with no problems. (Inga's nephew is leeching off of our broadband, allowed)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 09:53:02 AM »
BTW, I was talking a wall fish, not drilling a hole through the flooring..... (just to be clear)

Yup, I realize that - I was just thinking out loud about the drill-in-the-floor thing. Not the best idea I've had today..... :p