Author Topic: does Internet Explorer loathe conservativecave?  (Read 2629 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
does Internet Explorer loathe conservativecave?
« on: July 07, 2010, 05:25:16 PM »
Okay, first of all, I have to say that I use Firefox, not Internet Explorer.

I had been directed by our esteemed friend and colleague Chis, some months ago, that Firefox is better for viewing, and posting on, conservativecave, than is Internet Explorer.

And Chris as usual was right.

There was a problem, however, about half an hour ago, when Firefox, while working perfectly fine with other sites on the internet, balked at getting me in here.  As I was impatient to make a comment, I gave up and switched over to Internet Explorer, which immediately got me here.

But then when I tried to write the comment, the "reply" screen on Internet Explorer bounced and jiggled and jerked, and refused to obey the orders of my cursor.  (This by the way was how I got the wise advice from Chris, because Internet Explorer was doing it back then, too.)

Something Internet Explorer never did, at least for me, on other web-sites.

Can anyone make an educated guess as to why Internet Explorer seems "incompatible" with conservativecave?

Maybe they don't like us?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline bkg

Re: does Internet Explorer loathe conservativecave?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:27:16 PM »
It's not IE, it's CC and the version of code and HTML... FF masks it better than IE8. Run it in compatibility mode and you shoudl be fine.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 05:29:53 PM »
bkg is correct Frank, there is a small icon on your top IE  toolbar that looks like a torn sheet of paper, click on that and put IE8 into "compatability mode", and it will run fine.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 05:32:01 PM »
:rofl:

I have to wonder how many times this question is going to be asked.  Maybe we should put a note up at the top of the forum.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 05:35:39 PM »
:rofl:

I have to wonder how many times this question is going to be asked.  Maybe we should put a note up at the top of the forum.

That is a good idea, and a link to it on the home page, marked "Special Instructions for IE8 users"

doc

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 05:39:01 PM »
Okay, I'm trying this on Internet Explorer, the "compatibility" thing as suggested by TVDOC.

It's better than it had been, but still not great.

Firefox works a whole lot better (I have no idea why, about 45 minutes ago, Firefox was balking at letting me in here, but Internet Explorer brought me right here right away).

Obviously, to use Internet Explorer on conservativecave is a desperate last-ditch measure.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline bkg

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 06:14:42 PM »
Okay, I'm trying this on Internet Explorer, the "compatibility" thing as suggested by TVDOC.

It's better than it had been, but still not great.

Firefox works a whole lot better (I have no idea why, about 45 minutes ago, Firefox was balking at letting me in here, but Internet Explorer brought me right here right away).

Obviously, to use Internet Explorer on conservativecave is a desperate last-ditch measure.

Again, it's not an IE issue... It's a CC issue. Old versions of HTML and other code that haven't been updated as time passes. Nothing more, nothing less.