Author Topic: Conficker C  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Conficker C
« on: March 30, 2009, 03:34:21 AM »
Conficker C is scary as hell. Conficker C represents a best-of-breed specimen of malware, with its swiss-army-knife-from-hell approach to digging in, staying hidden, and making your life generally miserable. Telltale symptoms: you can't view such web sites as Microsoft.com, symantec.com, avast.com, or any other computer security-related sites the worm authors have thought to include in the blacklist; you can't run any of the superb Sysinternals utilities, or many other utilities, because they get killed within a second of starting them up; your antiviral software is impotent. But none of that is the point of the worm.

On April Fool's Day of this year, the roughly 10 million conficker-infected Windows XP-based PCs (mostly in China, Brazil, and Russia) will phone home, but nobody knows to what purpose. The "best" possible outcome is that the bad guys are merely stealing the identities of 10 million people.

It's hard to say what the worst case is, but the metaphor "internet warfare" is, apparently, not overblown.

http://www.metafilter.com/80204/The-boss-level-of-internet-worms

Windoze sent out an update/fix for this in October.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline thundley4

Re: Conficker C
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 06:27:12 AM »
I've seen some articles saying that this could be the worst viral attack ever, but I'm hoping that the fear is being overblown.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 04:54:13 PM »
Here is a link to the De-Wormer tool. :)

http://www.bdtools.net:80/

My machines are all clean.  I run Trend Micro Internet Security on all of them and it's pretty thourough.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 06:29:51 PM by asdf2231 »

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:15:16 PM »
Here is a link to the De-Wormer tool. :)

http://www.bdtools.net:80/

My machines are all clean.  I run Trend Micro Internet Security on all of them and it's pretty thourough.

Yeah, it just sux as a spell checker!

:lmao:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 10:47:54 PM »
Yeah, it just sux as a spell checker!

:lmao:

KC

Spelling Nazi !!!

:admin:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 06:58:45 AM »
Spelling Nazi !!!

:admin:

LOL at least I didn't get another one for calling out spelling while spelling SUX!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 07:33:05 AM »
Okay, the spell check joke gets a H5 :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline MASHLover

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 02:15:47 AM »
I've seen some articles saying that this could be the worst viral attack ever, but I'm hoping that the fear is being overblown.
Not overblown, it HAD the potential to kick ass if the it staff was not on the ball.  I know of a tv station that got slammed by this thing,

heads are gonna roll over that for sure.

ps:  I work for the parent company in an IT capacity so I get all the scoop  :hammer: :lmao: :banghead:
formerly Striker

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 07:21:17 AM »
Not overblown, it HAD the potential to kick ass if the it staff was not on the ball.  I know of a tv station that got slammed by this thing,

heads are gonna roll over that for sure.

ps:  I work for the parent company in an IT capacity so I get all the scoop  :hammer: :lmao: :banghead:

Apparently, conficker isn't gone yet.  It's still mutating and infecting computers.