Author Topic: Desktop icons won't show  (Read 10648 times)

Offline jinxmchue

Desktop icons won't show
« on: August 22, 2008, 11:26:20 AM »
I'm having trouble starting up Windows.  It was working just fine yesterday, but now it gets to the desktop and the icons don't show up.  I can get a few programs to run using the Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del), but no internet programs work.  Sometimes when I restarted, the icons would pop up right before it restarted.  Any ideas what would cause this?

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Desktop icons won't show
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 11:49:09 AM »
Something in the startup file got corrupted or a virus. When's the last time you ran a virus scan and WHICH anti-virus do you use?? You could attempt a system restore.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:51:11 AM »
Has Intel Extreme Graphics invaded your computer?  It has mine.  I'm having all sorts of new problem while all attempts to delete it have been for naught. 

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 12:03:53 PM »
Something in the startup file got corrupted or a virus. When's the last time you ran a virus scan and WHICH anti-virus do you use?? You could attempt a system restore.

Norton scans every week, though I cancelled this week's scheduled scan because I was working on something at the time and didn't want the slow down.  But that was Wednesday night and the computer was working fine Thursday morning and early afternoon and I just visited my usual websites.  Don't know if my wife did anything that morning, though.  (She searches for knitting stuff on IE and doesn't practice any discernment about which websites she visits.)

I've found a few procedures online to try.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 12:05:12 PM »
There's a 'Show Desktop Icons' option on the desktop Properties on XP.  Display properties --> Arrange Icons By --> Show Desktop Icons (below the Auto Arrange/Align to Grid option).  Maybe it got un-checked?
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 12:09:02 PM »

win2K, XP, or vista?

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 12:18:10 PM »
There's a 'Show Desktop Icons' option on the desktop Properties on XP.  Display properties --> Arrange Icons By --> Show Desktop Icons (below the Auto Arrange/Align to Grid option).  Maybe it got un-checked?

Nothing on the desktop shows.  Not even the taskbar at the bottom (not with the Windows key, either).  I will see if I can try that somehow, though.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 12:18:33 PM »

win2K, XP, or vista?

Oh, sorry.  Thought I mentioned that.  XP.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 12:20:04 PM »

Nothing on the desktop shows.  Not even the taskbar at the bottom (not with the Windows key, either).  I will see if I can try that somehow, though.

You don't get anything when you right-click on the desktop?  It's on that menu.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 12:33:19 PM »
You don't get anything when you right-click on the desktop?  It's on that menu.

Nope.  Right-click doesn't work.  Something isn't working right.  Possibly the explorer.exe program from what I've seen online.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 12:38:42 PM »

that's a "buried shovel";  you can't get to the tool you need to solve your problem.  come up in safe mode, and restore your last good session . . . (and pray).

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 12:44:59 PM »

that's a "buried shovel";  you can't get to the tool you need to solve your problem.  come up in safe mode, and restore your last good session . . . (and pray).

Yeah, that's one of the fixes I saw to try.  Thanks, man.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 04:03:54 PM »

I thought I already suggested a "system restore" ?!?!? :???:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 04:11:24 PM »

I thought I already suggested a "system restore" ?!?!? :???:

eh.  yes, you did. :p

oops.  sorry. :-)

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 11:30:05 AM »
It appears to be the "DHCP client" program.  I restarted with all the system programs off and the icons came up just fine.  I went through the system programs and turned them on one at a time (and then 5 at a time!) before restarting.  I quickly found that when the "DHCP client" is on, the startup stops.  Everything else is now active and the "DHCP client" is off and the computer starts up fine.  Unfortunately, the DHCP client needs to be on for the internet to work.  I'm going to try resetting the DHCP settings and also calling my ISP for help.  Anyone got any other suggestions?

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 07:04:24 PM »
If DHCP is causing the machine to hang, it could be a problem with the notwork interface (the "card").

I'd take the steps suggested before, Using the XP "restore points" , or failing that a system recovery (if available) , to see if it is software related first though.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »
I found this while googling the problem. This was the answer given for a person whose DHCP was causing crashes.

* Boot from the XP CD

* At the Setup screen - Press enter (NOT R for repair)

* PgDn and press F8 for the Licensing screen

* Select the XP installed location and press R to repair

* Setup will copy install files and then reboot the machine DON'T REBOOT FROM THE CD.  Let it boot from the hard drive.

* When it is done the process, remove the CD and reboot normally.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 12:26:09 PM »
Okay, I don't think we got any disks from Gateway when we got the computer.  However, the computer has a partitioned drive.  Could what I need be on the other part of the drive?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
Okay, I don't think we got any disks from Gateway when we got the computer.  However, the computer has a partitioned drive.  Could what I need be on the other part of the drive?
You didn't get repair disks?  If not, then look for instructions on how to boot from the recovery drive partition.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 02:37:11 PM »
Okay, it's very slow, but the icons do come up and I can get online now.  Any thoughts?

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 02:40:55 PM »
Backup and reformat? :-)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 05:53:07 PM »
Sounds like you may need to make some delicate adjustments to the system with a #4 percussion wrench.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 05:53:53 PM »
I hate you both.   :censored:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 05:54:19 PM »
Okay, it's very slow, but the icons do come up and I can get online now.  Any thoughts?

What is your antivirus?  You appear to be infected.  IN fact I am sending this message through a proxy since I am afraid of your doo doo.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 06:28:59 PM »

What is your antivirus?  You appear to be infected.

Better not be, dammit.  Grr.  We have Norton, but we let the subscription updates lapse a bit.  I'll have to renew it.

IN fact I am sending this message through a proxy since I am afraid of your doo doo.

Oh, bite me.