Author Topic: Arizona At It Again - Proposing Law to Ban "Anchor Babies"  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Arizona At It Again - Proposing Law to Ban "Anchor Babies"
« on: June 13, 2010, 11:39:42 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100612/us_time/08599199606400

By ADAM KLAWONN / PHOENIX Adam Klawonn / Phoenix – Sat Jun 12, 10:00 am ET

"Anchor babies" isn't a very endearing term, but in Arizona those are the words being used to tag children born in the U.S. to illegal immigrants. While not new, the term is increasingly part of the local vernacular because the primary authors of the nation's toughest and most controversial immigration law are targeting these tots - the legal weights that anchor many undocumented aliens in the U.S. - for their next move.

Buoyed by recent public opinion polls suggesting they're on the right track with illegal immigration, Arizona Republicans will likely introduce legislation this fall that would deny birth certificates to children born in Arizona - and thus American citizens according to the U.S. Constitution - to parents who are not legal U.S. citizens. The law largely is the brainchild of state Sen. Russell Pearce, a Republican whose suburban district, Mesa, is considered the conservative bastion of the Phoenix political scene. He is a leading architect of the Arizona law that sparked outrage throughout the country: Senate Bill 1070, which allows law enforcement officers to ask about someone's immigration status during a traffic stop, detainment or arrest if reasonable suspicion exists - things like poor English skills, acting nervous or avoiding eye contact during a traffic stop. (See the battle for Arizona: will a border crackdown work?)

<exerpted>

Balance at link......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Re: Arizona At It Again - Proposing Law to Ban "Anchor Babies"
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 12:25:13 PM »
Probably won't pass.  As much as I agree with Arizona, that's unconstitutional.  Can we first work on getting the anchor baby bullshit out of our constitution?

I'm not as well educated on that part of the constitution though.  Someone else can chime in and make me look like an idiot.. lol
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 01:01:33 PM »
Probably won't pass.  As much as I agree with Arizona, that's unconstitutional.  Can we first work on getting the anchor baby bullshit out of our constitution?

I'm not as well educated on that part of the constitution though.  Someone else can chime in and make me look like an idiot.. lol

It is unconstitutional, unfortunately, and I'm hoping the latest leadership push from AZ Republicans will bring to a renewed national debate the whole nonsense of women coming across the US border to drop an anchor baby so they can later bring in five dozen of its relatives.  It's  :mental: this country allows this when no other nation on earth does.   :fuelfire:
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 01:11:25 PM »
It would require a Constitutional amendment which is still not likely to pass just now.

However I am encouraged in the bigger picture of things that the illegal issue is finally reaching into the mainstream of the public.
It is becoming a "real" problem to them.

Wouldn`t it be one of the greatest ironies ever if the HCR bill that was rammed down an opposed electorates throat was one of the sparks that made people consider the true ramifications of the illegal immigrant problem we have and finally put an end to it?

Offline ROCKURWORLD

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 04:41:41 AM »
It is unconstitutional, unfortunately, and I'm hoping the latest leadership push from AZ Republicans will bring to a renewed national debate the whole nonsense of women coming across the US border to drop an anchor baby so they can later bring in five dozen of its relatives.  It's  :mental: this country allows this when no other nation on earth does.   :fuelfire:

Agreed....however in the mean time the illegal mom and dad has to take their baby back home. Since the child would technically be an American when he is 18 then he can come back into the country by himself.

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 10:03:19 AM »
Why, would they take an American citizen out of the country. No, the kid goes in to foster care, mom and dad get deported.

Offline ROCKURWORLD

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 11:36:52 AM »
Why, would they take an American citizen out of the country. No, the kid goes in to foster care, mom and dad get deported.

Because it is their child. They should raise it. However 1 person on the govt dole is better that 3 or more.

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 12:28:09 PM »
We take kids away from criminals, drug users/ abusive/neglectfully parents, all the time, how would this be different?

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 12:46:29 PM »
Agreed....however in the mean time the illegal mom and dad has to take their baby back home. Since the child would technically be an American when he is 18 then he can come back into the country by himself.

No, what I'm saying is that hopefully with the attention AZ Republicans are shining on the anchor baby situation illegal parents would equal illegal babies, NOT US citizens.  We'd have to get the Constitution changed, which is a long and tedious process fraught with the potential for failure, but it needs to be addressed anyway.  I truly believe the majority of Americans, both native born and legally immigrated, would support a measure that denies citizenship to a child simply based on having been born, to illegal immigrants, on our soil.
Both my husband and my daughter were born in foreign countries, due to their fathers' military service and neither of them are a citizen of that country.  It's insane to keep allowing babies to be born here, at our expense, and then having them be able to come back, or stay here, and petition to bring their families over.

Rereading my original post, I think I did not make this opinion sufficiently clear, sorry.  And of course you are correct in that mentime the anchor baby can return at age 18.  Ugh.  That has to change.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:52:51 PM by Boudicca »
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 08:29:40 PM »
We take kids away from criminals, drug users/ abusive/neglectfully parents, all the time, how would this be different?

Very excellent point.