Author Topic: Some Arizona Latinos Embrace Immigration Law  (Read 524 times)

Offline thundley4

Some Arizona Latinos Embrace Immigration Law
« on: May 25, 2010, 04:19:21 PM »
Though Latinos in Arizona and nationwide have mobilized in protest against the state's new immigration law, not all Hispanic Americans are opposed to it. In Arizona, many Latino voters see it as a much-needed crackdown.

Twelve percent of second-generation Latino voters in the state say they support S.B. 1070, according to a recent Latino Decisions poll. That jumps to nearly 30 percent in the fourth generation.

Jesse Hernandez, a second-generation Mexican-American, a product of public housing and a proud Phoenix Republican, is one of those in Arizona who favor the law.

Hernandez says he knows many Latinos who feel just like he does.

"I just don't like the fact that they're going to say that an American Latino has the same concerns as a Latino from Mexico. No, we don't," Hernandez says.

Hernandez says his Mexican-born parents came to the U.S. after years of waiting at the border to secure papers. He says illegal immigrants need to get in line, just like they did.

"We don’t have time to be marching down the street waving the Mexican flag saying we want rights," he says. "Because you know what? We did it the right way, and we have rights."
NPR

We knew that some percentage of legal immigrants had to support this law. The source is rather surprising though.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
Re: Some Arizona Latinos Embrace Immigration Law
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 04:30:11 PM »
"Because you know what? We did it the right way, and we have rights."

:ohsnap:

Very well played sir. Very well played.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 04:52:52 PM »
This is how it should be - Arizona isn't suffering from some sort of xenophobia, but suffering from the impact of illegals on their economy and safety. Legal immigration is just fine, and is part of this country's history and heritage.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 04:57:19 PM »
I think the people of Arizona are getting tired of footing the bill, both socially and financially

Found this yesterday...
Cost of Illegal Immigration Rising Rapidly in Arizona, Study Finds

Arizona’s illegal immigrant population is costing the state’s taxpayers even more than once thought -- a whopping $2.7 billion in 2009, according to researchers at the public interest group that helped write the state's new immigration law.

FAIR admits that the cost to implement the new law in some of those categories, such as incarceration, will add to the economic
strain on the state. But overall, it says, the loss of immigrants either from the deterrent effect of the law, voluntary exodus or from mass deportations, will help the state financially.

Also, the savings to the state will far overwhelm any fallout from boycotts (estimated at between $7 million and $52 million) being threatened in the wake of the law's passage, according to FAIR spokesman Bob Dane. 

FAIR's new breakdown shows that illegal immigrants take $1.6 billion from Arizona's education system, $694.8 million from health care services, $339.7 million in law enforcement and court costs, $85.5 million in welfare costs and $155.4 million in other general costs.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/17/immigration-costs-rising-rapidlty-new-study-says/?test=latestnews
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.