Author Topic: primitives celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving  (Read 1656 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving
« on: October 14, 2009, 07:20:09 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=190x27760

Oh my.

The pickings are pretty slim on Skins's island this morning, so I ended up in the Canadian forum.

auntAgonist  (1000+ posts)      Thu Oct-08-09 09:51 PM
Original message

Happy Thanksgiving Weekend Canada!

I'm going home for Thanksgiving, first time in a LONG time. I hope you all enjoy your weekend.

May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have nary a lump.
May your yams be delicious
And your pies take the prize,
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs!

(anonymous)

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Fri Oct-09-09 02:57 AM
Response to Original message

1. seriously.....what do Canadians eat for Thanksgiving?

This is my first Thanksgiving as a Canadian citizen, thanks to the law effective April 17 granting citizenship to children born outside the U.S. to Canadian parents. Is there a traditional Canadian cuisine? Why don't I know that?

What the fu.....dge?

The wired gassy primitive, on that farmette up over in Wisconsin, is a Canadian now?

franksolich smells a rat.

Spazito  (1000+ posts)        Fri Oct-09-09 10:28 AM
Response to Reply #1

2. Well.....

We start with poutine washed down with a Tim Horton's latte and, for the main course, marinated moose roast with a side of Pacific salmon, B.C. cranberries and Newfoundland potatoes. For dessert, there is Eskimo pie!

just kidding!

It is the same as the U.S.: turkey with stuffing and gravy, potatoes and veggies with pumpkin pie as dessert. That's the traditional at least as far as I know!

Congrats on your Canadian citizenship and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

fudge stripe cookays (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-10-09 07:56 PM
Response to Reply #2

7. What, no Nanaimo bars?

The first time reprehensor talked about Nanaimo bars, I was like ???. That was over 10 years ago. I need to learn how to make those if I go north.

Spazito  (1000+ posts)        Sun Oct-11-09 11:55 AM
Response to Reply #7

8. LOL, damn I forgot to list them!

I think it is a mental block because they are SO delicious and addictive you can't have just ONE or, at least, I can't! I must admit I have never made them but have purchased WAY too many of them, lol!

Lucy Goosey  (955 posts)        Fri Oct-09-09 11:06 AM
Response to Reply #1

3. As Spazito said, it's pretty much the same...

Except for the yams. Apparently, yams with marshmallows are a big deal in the States? I can't speak for all of Canada of course, but I don't personally know anyone here who does that (and frankly, I think it sounds kind of strange.)

But, other than that, it's turkey, stuffing, veg, potatoes, gravy, pie (my family always does pumpkin and apple), then change into some stretchy pants and fall asleep watching hockey.

Congrats on your citizenship! Welcome to the family! Happy thanksgiving!

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Fri Oct-09-09 12:10 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. I don't know anybody who eats yams that way.

I suspect that's a southern or midwestern nasty dish. They do have some sweet tooth!

Darth_Kitten  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-12-09 01:39 PM
Response to Reply #4

11. We generally call them sweet potatoes......

My Mom makes this three vegetable medley for Xmas: Carrots, turnips, and sweet potatoes, all mashed together.

fudge stripe cookays (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-10-09 07:54 PM
Response to Reply #1

6. This was a surprise and a laugh for me...

reprehensor and I still laugh at various cultural traditions they don't have that Americans do. One being the complete dearth of biscuits at the grocery store!

#1. I'm a southern girl, and am just used to going to the grocery store and seeing a mile long refrigerated section full of every type of biscuit you can imagine! Buttermilk, 1869 brand, extra flaky, butter flavored...I was lucky in Stony Plain at the super super market to find one lone slot for a can of biscuits in the refrigerated section. What a shocker!

#2. It's "processed" cheese up there, not American cheese. This is one other area where he laughs at me because we Americans have such an ego problem we even named cheese after ourselves.

#3. It's back bacon, not Canadian bacon (obviously).

#4. The green bean casserole that is so near and dear to American Thanksgiving tables was never a blip on the Alberta family radar. I've had to indoctrinate him. And he is still not fond of it. I can't have Thanksgiving without it!

Darth_Kitten  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-12-09 01:36 PM
Response to Reply #1

9. Whatever the heck you want........

HeresyLives (1000+ posts)      Fri Oct-09-09 09:24 PM

5. We don't have a 'traditional meal'.

I've had everything from buffalo to curry. It's all good.

Darth_Kitten  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-12-09 01:37 PM
Response to Reply #5

10. We have the traditional Turkey dinner.......

I personally will eat whatever I want, but I think families still go for the Turkey with all the fixun's traditional dinner.

Lots of people shopping yesterday for Turkey.

HeresyLives (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-13-09 12:41 AM
Response to Reply #10

13. It's a cheap meat, that's why.

It was never 'traditional', just affordable for big families, so it became popular.

Plus the Turkey Marketing Board did a good job promoting it as 'traditional' which gave everybody an excuse.

Darth_Kitten  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-13-09 10:08 AM
Response to Reply #13

14. Yes, a turkey dinner is traditional.

What's so funny about that?

HeresyLives (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-13-09 12:19 PM
Response to Reply #14

15. Maybe in your family.

glarius (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-12-09 11:53 PM

12. Not that it matters but did anyone ever notice that the U.S.A media never says
happy Thanksgiving to our neighbours to the north? Being a news nut and watching news channels for years, I have noticed that our networks always wish the U.S.A a happy Thanksgiving or whatever other special holiday they may have, but I don't believe I've ever heard the same courtesy from the American networks toward us. It's no big thing, but I have noticed it.

By the way I cooked a turkey with mashed potatoes, carrots, corn, cabbage salad, pickles and olives, pumpkin pie with whipped cream sprinkled with cinnamon.

auntAgonist  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-13-09 07:58 PM
Response to Reply #12

16. You're absolutely right. I'm in MI now and there's no mention of it in these parts. I told co-workers I was going home* for Thanksgiving and they thought I was talking about American Thanksgiving in November. Most were quite surprised that there was a Thanksgiving in October in Canada. 

Your dinner sounds marvelous! My son and his housemates made dinner for me and it too was wonderful. I was very proud of the effort they put forth. This was a first and I hope the start of a tradition.

*home is Ontario, Canada. Specifically Elmira.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
Re: primitives celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:02:50 AM »
grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Fri Oct-09-09 02:57 AM

1. seriously.....what do Canadians eat for Thanksgiving?

This is my first Thanksgiving as a Canadian citizen, thanks to the law effective April 17 granting citizenship to children born outside the U.S. to Canadian parents. Is there a traditional Canadian cuisine? Why don't I know that?

This post made me shake my head.  My dad (and an aunt and uncle) are now Canadian citizens thanks to the same law, and they would have laughed their butts off if any suggested to them that they celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving.  I guess DUmmies always need a way to make themselves feel special. 

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:08:03 AM »
This post made me shake my head.  My dad (and an aunt and uncle) are now Canadian citizens thanks to the same law, and they would have laughed their butts off if any suggested to them that they celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving.  I guess DUmmies always need a way to make themselves feel special.  

Well, the good thing about it is you can have two Thanksgiving feasts, with a month of recovery between them.  :-)

For the four years I was living in Quebec, I switched to the Canadian holiday, since I didn't have any US family within three thousand miles. They did find the idea of marshmallows on yams, and cranberry whip to be very weird.

My mother used to make both, and she was a Jersey girl.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:10:09 AM by crockspot »

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 09:13:29 AM »
Do the lefty Canadians also bring up how the poor natives were mistreated by the white man, and Thanksgiving shouldn't be a time of celebration, but a time of remorse?

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 09:17:35 AM »
glarius (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-12-09 11:53 PM

12. Not that it matters but did anyone ever notice that the U.S.A media never says
happy Thanksgiving to our neighbours to the north? Being a news nut and watching news channels for years, I have noticed that our networks always wish the U.S.A a happy Thanksgiving or whatever other special holiday they may have, but I don't believe I've ever heard the same courtesy from the American networks toward us. It's no big thing, but I have noticed it.

By the way I cooked a turkey with mashed potatoes, carrots, corn, cabbage salad, pickles and olives, pumpkin pie with whipped cream sprinkled with cinnamon.

Yeah, or a "Happy Bastille Day goes out to France" or a "Merry Indepedence Day, El Salvador!" WTF?  ::)

Maybe, they don't have access to that channel and best wishes sent out won't reach the intended? Moron...
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 09:17:42 AM »
Do the lefty Canadians also bring up how the poor natives were mistreated by the white man, and Thanksgiving shouldn't be a time of celebration, but a time of remorse?

I can only speak to the attitude in Quebec, and the answer is no. The Quebequois hate the Mohawks, and would be happier if they had been wiped out centuries ago.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 10:04:53 AM »

I have to say no, because
1.  it wasn't started by a bunch of religious zealots that basically stole the land from the Indians, and
2.  the only thing Canadians have to be thankful for is they didn't freeze to death the previous winter....
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 10:24:45 AM »

My head cold must be getting to the best of me.  Why would children born outside the US to Canadian parents make them Canadian?  I mean, I get the "born outside of Canada to Canadian Parents"  But born outside the US????

R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 10:29:35 AM »
That HeresyLives is a real grouch.  People are talking about a cheery subject, and he still has to come and piss in everyone's cornflakes. 

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 10:29:43 AM »
Hmmmmm...I wonder if any of them are "celebrating" by taking meals to the elderly or helping out at a soup kitchen?  That's probably going to be my thing, rather than cook an entire meal for one.  I might do a turkey breast for sandwiches and the like, but I'd be willing to bet they'd curl their noses at the thought of sacrificing one of "their" days to help someone else out.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 10:40:49 AM »
Darth_Kitten  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-12-09 01:39 PM

11. We generally call them sweet potatoes......

My Mom makes this three vegetable medley for Xmas: Carrots, turnips, and sweet potatoes, all mashed together.

Turnips and sweet potatoes? It makes me kind of sick to think about how that dish must taste. No wonder that woman's child turned out to be
a lunatic DUmmy whack job.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 11:14:07 AM »
Hmmmmm...I wonder if any of them are "celebrating" by taking meals to the elderly or helping out at a soup kitchen?  That's probably going to be my thing, rather than cook an entire meal for one.  I might do a turkey breast for sandwiches and the like, but I'd be willing to bet they'd curl their noses at the thought of sacrificing one of "their" days to help someone else out.

If I had any kind of money and lived alone, I think I'd find some neighbors in a similar situation and organize. Or go to Denny's. lol.

BTW: MegaMillions jackpot on Friday is an estimated $200M before lumpsum/taxes ($344 and twenty two cents after taxes). Don't let a DUmmie win it.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 11:32:28 AM »
If I had any kind of money and lived alone, I think I'd find some neighbors in a similar situation and organize. Or go to Denny's. lol.

BTW: MegaMillions jackpot on Friday is an estimated $200M before lumpsum/taxes ($344 and twenty two cents after taxes). Don't let a DUmmie win it.

It's high enough that me and a few others at work will chip in $5/each for a grand total of $50.

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 11:37:48 AM »
It's high enough that me and a few others at work will chip in $5/each for a grand total of $50.

I wouldn't want to win if I had to split the pot with nine other guys. It'd be less than $20 mill.

Plus the tenth guy who claims he put in money and then sues everyone else.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 11:59:03 AM »
I wouldn't want to win if I had to split the pot with nine other guys. It'd be less than $20 mill.

Plus the tenth guy who claims he put in money and then sues everyone else.

It's been the same group doing it for several years.  $20 mil is better than nothing.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 12:23:38 PM »
I would love to become a right-wing philanthropist.  :evillaugh:

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 12:41:34 PM »
Response to Reply #1

...#2. It's "processed" cheese up there, not American cheese. This is one other area where he laughs at me because we Americans have such an ego problem we even named cheese after ourselves....

What do they call Swiss cheese in Canadia? 

Holy cheese?
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 01:01:03 PM »
What do they call Swiss cheese in Canadia? 

Holy cheese?

A great number of cheeses are named after the region they come from, including most the fancy European ones.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
A great number of cheeses are named after the region they come from, including most the fancy European ones.

Let's see: Cheddar (English town), Gruyere (Swiss town), Brie (French province), etc, etc.

Yes, those damn, self-absorbed Americans!/ Canadian Dummy mode
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 02:21:52 PM »
Let's see: Cheddar (English town), Gruyere (Swiss town), Brie (French province), etc, etc.

Yes, those damn, self-absorbed Americans!/ Canadian Dummy mode
You're right. Like Cheez Whiz.

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 05:13:01 PM »
You're right. Like Cheez Whiz.

Cheez Whiz comes from Skinner's Island?   :confused:

Who knew!  Betcha I won't be buying any of it.  Might try some Velveta....   :whistling:

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 06:06:39 PM »
Response to Reply #1

...#2. It's "processed" cheese up there, not American cheese. This is one other area where he laughs at me because we Americans have such an ego problem we even named cheese after ourselves....

Fudgie, your response should be two words: Canadian Bacon.