Author Topic: Thankgiving turkey...in a crockpot  (Read 14886 times)

Offline Mr Mannn

Thankgiving turkey...in a crockpot
« on: November 11, 2014, 11:17:39 AM »
I will be making crockpot turkey for Thanksgiving. I bought 3 legs and two thighs.
I don't plan on anything special, just basic seasoning and Liptons onion soup mix.
BUT.

I read where DORI never liked store bought gravy, she found it flavorless. I read that after bought a jar of roasted turkey gravy.
~~ so what can I do to salvage that gravy? Can I pour it into the broth once I'm done? Will they mix?

I bought so much turkey because I love leftover turkey!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Thankgiving turkey...in a crockpot
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 11:21:20 AM »
I bought a jar of brown gravy a while ago and it was pretty good with pot roast.  I don't remember the brand, but I think it was a national one and not some off-brand or store label.  What I didn't like was the awful bag of gravy that came with the turkey breast I bought.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 11:25:25 AM »
I got the national brand too: Heinz.

Offline Dori

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 11:33:51 AM »
I will be making crockpot turkey for Thanksgiving. I bought 3 legs and two thighs.
I don't plan on anything special, just basic seasoning and Liptons onion soup mix.
BUT.

I read where DORI never liked store bought gravy, she found it flavorless. I read that after bought a jar of roasted turkey gravy.
~~ so what can I do to salvage that gravy? Can I pour it into the broth once I'm done? Will they mix?

I bought so much turkey because I love leftover turkey!

You should taste the gravy before using it to see if you like it.  As to using a crockpot, have you considered just roasting the turkey in the oven without the soup mix?  It's easy, takes about 17 min per pound at 350.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 11:45:30 AM »
I didn't even consider the oven. I've only used it once...for frozen pizza.
But I really want to use the crockpot for this.

Offline Dori

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 12:06:30 PM »
I didn't even consider the oven. I've only used it once...for frozen pizza.
But I really want to use the crockpot for this.

You've really got to get into that kitchen and experiment.   :-)

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 12:49:27 PM »

He's a guy, madam.

I can't tell you how many times I've contemplated making something, but when thinking of messing up an immaculately-clean kitchen, I just get into the car and drive to the convenience store in town to pick up a $1.69 slice of pepperoni pizza instead.

<<<a guy.

<<<likes to keep things immaculately clean.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 02:02:17 PM »
I got the national brand too: Heinz.

My wife usually buys Heinz brand too, if it's just us. We prefer quick and simple most of the time.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 02:14:45 PM »
Costco sells a good Turkey gravy this time a year.  Comes in a 2 pack and can be frozen.

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Dori

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 02:15:29 PM »
My wife usually buys Heinz brand too, if it's just us. We prefer quick and simple most of the time.

Making gravy is quick and simple too....without the extra cost :-)

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 02:28:51 PM »

But not all recipes have pan drippings left over to use as a base.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 05:25:57 PM »
Yeah, but the crock pot is my new toy. I gotta play with my toy.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 10:09:58 PM »
quick and simple?  I have no idea how to make gravy but i do remember my mom spending alot of time in the kitchen stirring the pan she cooked the turkey in to make gravy for Thanksgiving. 
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Dori

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 11:40:19 PM »
quick and simple?  I have no idea how to make gravy but i do remember my mom spending alot of time in the kitchen stirring the pan she cooked the turkey in to make gravy for Thanksgiving.

For turkey, I like a brown gravy made with the pan drippings.  My mom used to make a creamed giblet gravy. 

The basics are to heat some kind of fat or oil with an equal amount of flour, then you add a liquid like water, milk or stock.  You just bring that to a boil for a couple of minutes to thicken, stirring constantly, and it's done.  Just takes a few minutes.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 11:42:47 PM »
For turkey, I like a brown gravy made with the pan drippings.  My mom used to make a creamed giblet gravy. 

The basics are to heat some kind of fat or oil with an equal amount of flour, then you add a liquid like water, milk or stock.  You just bring that to a boil for a couple of minutes to thicken, stirring constantly, and it's done.  Just takes a few minutes.

I once made gravy like that, but it seemed to take forever to thicken. Cornstarch will thicken gravy very quickly, too much and it's more like wallpaper paste.  :whistling:

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 05:24:24 PM »
I once made gravy like that, but it seemed to take forever to thicken. Cornstarch will thicken gravy very quickly, too much and it's more like wallpaper paste.  :whistling:

Calucated the cost of home made Turkey dinner with all the fixins, and found a few years ago that making this as home made  was about the price of a dinner of $125. per person at a 3 rd rate resturent  -----Cheked into the Chinese places that had all the turkey and  and side dishes for $15.00 a bucks for adults and the kids were half price.  Also all the  king crab legs, and hot butter.

Great best to take the whole family including the kids that have a problem with some foods so they can choose what kind of food they want.     

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 07:03:09 PM »
I am such a dweeb.
I forgot to thaw out the turkey parts for the crock pot. So the big dinner is now set for Sat or Sunday.

Tonight, I'm having lasagna. Made with real meat. I looked at the box and it said real low fat ricotta cheese. Low fat? Heck no! I added 8 oz of Kraft sharp cheddar cheese, it IS thanksgiving ya know.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 10:09:20 AM »
Success! I cooked two turkey thighs for 4 hours on high. All I used was Lipton onion soup mix, salt, and a tea spoon of minced garlic.
I diced up potatoes and set them on the bottom. The turkey went on top. I added just enough water to reach the bottom of the turkey.

It was WONDERFUL! I'm not such a big fan of turkey.It has always been too dry or too tasteless.
This was delicious! It was moist, fell off the bone, and perfect! and I have left overs for tonight!

I didn't even need gravy. Its still in a jar on my shelf.
---whats worse? I didn't even follow a you tube recipe verbatim. I just took a few hints (like cooking time) and winged the rest.
It is hard to go wrong with a crock pot!

I do have a question. One you tuber scared me with her recipe. She used Lipton soup mix too, and then...added left over cranberries in the gel thing to the mix...yuck!
But I'm kinda thinking. The sweet stuff doesn't sweeten the meat does it? I want meat to taste like meat.  People throw anything in a crock and it seems to come out all right (one You Tuber used apples with his turkey breast).

Y'all haven't crocked with sweet stuff have you?