Author Topic: The etymology of the name Skinner and the real purpose of the DUmp.  (Read 4099 times)

Offline beefeater

A little over ten years ago our youngest was taking a psych class in college. He called me one night and asked if I had ever heard of a psychologist/behaviorist who had performed experimental analysis of behavior using lab rats and other animals, and if I had, did I have any information on him. I did know who he was referring to, we had studied him when I took psych101 back in the 60’s, and I agreed to help him with some research.

I happen to own a small office building and one of my tenants is a psychologist I’ll call “Bob”. Bob had a treasure trove of books and information on the subject and met with my son to help him do a mid-term report for his class. Meanwhile I decided to do an internet search and found a website that was eerily similar sounding to the lab rat experiments that we had been discussing. I had to show it to Bob and he was immediately fascinated by the place. We both registered and began lurking and eventually posting at the site. Sometimes we would coordinate our conversations in order to obtain the desired responses. Bob did it because he studies human behavior for a living. Me? I just like to stir the pot sometimes.

By now I’m sure you recognize the website we invaded as the Democraticunderground.

Now, what we both found instructive, and maybe even a bit amusing, was the nom de plume of the owner and chief behaviorist at the DUmp by the name of Skinner, for you see the psychologist/behaviorist we were looking into was none other than B.F. Skinner who also invented a device known as the “operant conditioning chamber” also commonly called a “Skinner Box”.

The Dump has always reminded me of a rat maze and I can’t get the image of trained lab animals out of my mind when lurking or trolling there.

More on B.F. Skinner here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._F._Skinner

See if you don't agree with my assessment.

Needless to say I don't disagree with the Coaches' description of the primitives living on an island, but this is how I've always pictured them.
My Old Man was a Chicago Republican until the day he died.

Then he became a democrat.

Offline shadeaux

Re: The etymology of the name Skinner and the real purpose of the DUmp.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 11:45:05 PM »
LOL

That's hilarious !!!

I don't think they're trainable.  No matter how hard you try to change one, a lazy ass will be a lazy ass for life.  And we know from the filthy pictures of their homes they are lazy as hell.   :-)

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
I think many of the DUmmies bare a considerable resemblance to Pavlov's Dog.  Certain words and phrases always set them off, and their reactions to almost every thing is predictable.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 01:46:49 AM »
LOL

That's hilarious !!!

I don't think they're trainable.  No matter how hard you try to change one, a lazy ass will be a lazy ass for life.  And we know from the filthy pictures of their homes they are lazy as hell.   :-)

Nothing a cattle prod of significant voltage couldn't fix...
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 08:13:05 AM »
But that's an excellent analogy, beefeater, a wonderful analogy.

We're not primitives; we don't have to see things exactly the same way.

When I think of the primitives, I think of a small isolated island removed from the rest of the world, covered with dark malevolent foliage and a poisonous miasma hovering over it.

I never thought about B.F. Skinner when devising my nick-name for my fellow alum.

"Skinner" sounded too formal to call a fellow alum (we were both educated by professors from Yale, after all; he in New Haven and franksolich in Lincoln), and so I thought about what his fellow players on the rugby team there called him, and "Skins" popped into mind.

Is there any reason you wanted this here, instead of in the DUmpster?

I think it would be interesting for a much wider audience than what we have here.

But it's your call.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 05:01:08 PM »
On the island, when a primitive presses the lever, they get a banana.
This of course is due to gNads great font of Gnowledge on the subject of bananas.
nadinbrzezinski (107,725 posts)
2. Yup, but after a few, no longer will comment

well beyond one thing.. .eat your bananas.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 05:19:08 PM »
Flowers for Algernon in reverse. The DUmmies' stochastic stupidity makes them DUmber and DUmber and DUmber, and unlike the story, the brain damage is irreversible.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline GOP Congress

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 05:54:25 PM »
Personally, I thought of "Skinner" in the prison pedophile nickname sense. I see no reason to change that particular assessment, disregarding the actually named namesake of his who actually created some knowledge with rat behavior.
"The main purpose of the Democrat Party and the Left is to destroy the United States, transform Western Civilization to a tribal-based dystopia, and to ultimately kill all conservatives and non progressives." - Jonah Kyle

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »
I've always associated the name with Principal Skinner - an absolutely incompetent state employee who lives with his mom, and more or less lets 'the inmates run the asylum'.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 06:48:04 PM »
I've always associated the name with Principal Skinner - an absolutely incompetent state employee who lives with his mom, and more or less lets 'the inmates run the asylum'.

I always wondered if others thought the same, that one guy on that one cartoon show on television.

But me, reflecting upon that my fellow alum once played rugby for Harvard, speculated upon possible nick-names his rough-house comrades would've used for him.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 07:35:50 PM »
I always thought of the pigeon guy, myself. It seems so obvious.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 07:39:19 PM »
I always thought that the real purpose of the DUmp, aside for being comedic entertainment for normal, decent folks, is to turn people from the dem party.

I know that every single person that I've shown DU to, including democrats, has come away amazed and disgusted.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »

Franksolich is his "Bart."  :lmao:

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 12:56:14 PM »
I always thought that the real purpose of the DUmp, aside for being comedic entertainment for normal, decent folks, is to turn people from the dem party.

I know that every single person that I've shown DU to, including democrats, has come away amazed and disgusted.

Uh huh, that's it.

Skins's island was formed right after the elections of 2000, when Alphonse Capote Gore tried to steal Florida, and failed. 

It was then that regular Democrats and liberals realized that their fringe made the rest of them look bad, and hired Skins, who was newly-unemployed because his (D) congressman had lost his primary, to set it up, so as to act as a magnet attracting, and ultimately sequestering, that fringe in a place the general public probably wouldn't notice them.

Like stuffing retarded cousin Johnny in the attic, or something.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 04:45:18 PM »
Uh huh, that's it.

Skins's island was formed right after the elections of 2000, when Alphonse Capote Gore tried to steal Florida, and failed. 

It was then that regular Democrats and liberals realized that their fringe made the rest of them look bad, and hired Skins, who was newly-unemployed because his (D) congressman had lost his primary, to set it up, so as to act as a magnet attracting, and ultimately sequestering, that fringe in a place the general public probably wouldn't notice them.

Although, one cannot help if Johnny makes too much noise sometimes. Johnny has even had some reports, and illuminations on my local News/Talk AM radio station. If retarded cousin Johnny wants to hide, he better do a better job of it.

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 06:36:27 PM »
I love the OP's post. If he could somehow incorporate my impression of Skinner. One who once through with the work of the craft they were named after, on a fellow human being, was then forced as a result of their own hand to only consider the content of that person's character.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 11:39:18 PM »
Uh huh, that's it.

My first experience with the DUmp was the run-up to 2004.  That makes, in a really weird way, some sense.  I remember thinking, on my first trip there, that I should be wearing MOPP gear and a field protective mask and would require decontamination on exit.  Quite eye-opening.  The primitives are flat-out, weapons-grade, nucking futz. 

I really don't experience creatures like the (D)Ullards, in my day-to-day existence.  Run-of-the-mill Democraps, sure.  An old hippie, now and again.  At least they have a modicum of function synapses remaining.  I can see where, saner heads, would wish to keep them out of the innerwebz limelight.

Posted by: beefeater
Insert Quote
A little over ten years ago our youngest was taking a psych class in college. He called me one night and asked if I had ever heard of a psychologist/behaviorist who had performed experimental analysis of behavior using lab rats and other animals, and if I had, did I have any information on him. I did know who he was referring to, we had studied him when I took psych101 back in the 60’s, and I agreed to help him with some research.

I happen to own a small office building and one of my tenants is a psychologist I’ll call “Bob”. Bob had a treasure trove of books and information on the subject and met with my son to help him do a mid-term report for his class. Meanwhile I decided to do an internet search and found a website that was eerily similar sounding to the lab rat experiments that we had been discussing. I had to show it to Bob and he was immediately fascinated by the place. We both registered and began lurking and eventually posting at the site. Sometimes we would coordinate our conversations in order to obtain the desired responses. Bob did it because he studies human behavior for a living. Me? I just like to stir the pot sometimes.

By now I’m sure you recognize the website we invaded as the Democraticunderground.

Now, what we both found instructive, and maybe even a bit amusing, was the nom de plume of the owner and chief behaviorist at the DUmp by the name of Skinner, for you see the psychologist/behaviorist we were looking into was none other than B.F. Skinner who also invented a device known as the “operant conditioning chamber” also commonly called a “Skinner Box”.

That's funny.

Sorry for kicking an older thread, but very interesting.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx