Author Topic: Meatloaf Recipe  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Meatloaf Recipe
« on: April 08, 2012, 07:06:34 AM »
I pm'd this recipe to BEG. My Husband was getting tired of regular meatloaf so I changed it up a bit. Instead of using bread crumbs I kind of made my own to fill the meatloaf. I have no measurements for this though so you have to wing it. The day before I make it I get a loaf of Italian bread, then I cut it up in sections when I'm ready to make the meatloaf because I have the small version of the Cusinart, I put a little bread in at a time, then I add garlic, we have garlic you can buy in the large jars so I add a little bit to it, then I add some basil in oil that I get in the jar, mix it up then do it again until you use all the bread. I add that and some salt and pepper and other spices if you want to a couple of pounds of ground beef, I add an egg or 2, and a little milk, mix it well, then stick it in the oven, usually 325 or 350 until it's done.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Meatloaf Recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:04:23 PM »
Try some oatmeal as an extender.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 12:19:08 PM »
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 03:57:08 PM »
Try some oatmeal as an extender.

I like oatmeal for breakfast, can't imagine it in my meatloaf though.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline debk

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 05:36:50 PM »
I like oatmeal for breakfast, can't imagine it in my meatloaf though.

Me neither. I don't put egg in mine either.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 12:32:52 PM »
I wouldn't call oatmeal/bread crumbs/flour/whatever-you-use an "extender", although it certainly can be used that way.

It's really a binding agent that helps keep the ground meat from falling apart after it's baked.

For the record, I've used bread soaked in milk, oatmeal, flour, and bread crumbs as a binding agent in the past, along with an egg or two (the egg adds protein and also serves as a binding agent as well), and nobody died that I'm aware of.

Of course, meat loaf is like potato salad. Everybody's got their own style.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 01:42:37 PM »
No bacon across the top? Blasphemy!!!
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 02:12:05 PM »
No bacon across the top? Blasphemy!!!

Bacon's optional, FB, just like a bit of stewed tomato in the mixture (adds moistness) or even a layer of tomato sauce across the top.

Some people, God forbid, use ketchup.

Gawd.....
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline debk

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 03:04:26 PM »
Bacon's optional, FB, just like a bit of stewed tomato in the mixture (adds moistness) or even a layer of tomato sauce across the top.

Some people, God forbid, use ketchup.

Gawd.....

In the meatloaf itself:

ground chuck
diced onion
sliced mushrooms
garlic powder
pepper
worchestershire sauce
Progresso Italian bread crumbs

I may or may not pat it out into a rectangle, cover it with shredded colby jack cheese and roll it back up.

Put it in a loaf pan, make a row about 1/2" deep down the center with the end of a wooden spoon, and pour more worchestershire in the furrow.

Bake for about 20 min.

Remove from oven, drain out most of the grease.

Cover the top with a mixture of ketchup ( :tongue: Euph) brown sugar, and Gulden's mustard.

Return to oven for another 15 min or until done.

I like it best when it's set overnight in the refrigerator and sliced for sandwiches.  :drool:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.