Author Topic: broken glassware  (Read 3751 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
broken glassware
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:44:17 AM »
Okay, I have a really stupid question.

But remember, there's plenty of stuff in life I haven't seen.

The other day, the hippywife primitive Mrs. Alfred Packer on Skins's island mentioned she was a little bit leery of using glassware in the oven because it may explode.

She happened to mention that right when I was trying to think of a new ending for one of the "Mrs. Alfred Packer" stories here.

My mother used glassware in the oven all the time, and as far as I know, she died never having broken any of it.

I've used glassware in the oven all my adult life, and every single piece still survives, intact.

I'm not aware that glassware "explodes" (or rather, might explode) in the oven.

Has anyone ever had this happen?  And if so, exactly what happened?  Did it blow up all over inside the oven, did it shatter into tiny pieces, did it just break in half, or what?  Did it make noise when doing so, and if so, what sort of noise?  A bang?  A snap?  A crackle?  Did it injure anybody?  Did it ruin the inside of the oven?

I know, I know, it's a stupid question, but I really don't know.

This is important, because I want to have a new sort of ending to the latest saga of the Packer clan.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: broken glassware
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:47:34 AM »
I've seen non-tempered glass crack but never explode.  The only time I've seen exploding glass was when I threw a sealed bottle of beer into a campfire.  Steam + confined space = boom. :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:52:04 AM »
I put a bowl in the microwave to melt chocolate.  I mistakenly thought it was tempered glass.  It was not.  I got it out of the microwave, and it cracked, much like an explosion, but the chocolate kept it together.  A long time ago, I put tea in a pitcher, to make iced tea.  I put the tea in, hot from the tea kettle, and put it in the sink where I proceeded to put water in it.  It spontaneously cracked as well.   Which felt like an explosion, but that's not really what it was. 

R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 09:02:31 AM »
I've only ever had ONE Pyrex  piece of glassware ever break. I took it out of the oven and set it on the stove and it shattered, ruining the meal. (I don't know if I set it on a hot burner or what caused it) Other than that, as long as one uses Pyrex type glassware, they're relatively safe.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 09:03:36 AM »
Okay, I have a really stupid question.

But remember, there's plenty of stuff in life I haven't seen.

The other day, the hippywife primitive Mrs. Alfred Packer on Skins's island mentioned she was a little bit leery of using glassware in the oven because it may explode.

She happened to mention that right when I was trying to think of a new ending for one of the "Mrs. Alfred Packer" stories here.

My mother used glassware in the oven all the time, and as far as I know, she died never having broken any of it.

I've used glassware in the oven all my adult life, and every single piece still survives, intact.

I'm not aware that glassware "explodes" (or rather, might explode) in the oven.

Has anyone ever had this happen?  And if so, exactly what happened?  Did it blow up all over inside the oven, did it shatter into tiny pieces, did it just break in half, or what?  Did it make noise when doing so, and if so, what sort of noise?  A bang?  A snap?  A crackle?  Did it injure anybody?  Did it ruin the inside of the oven?

I know, I know, it's a stupid question, but I really don't know.

This is important, because I want to have a new sort of ending to the latest saga of the Packer clan.

I have about half and half when it comes to ovenware, half glass and the other half steel pans, I like using the glass better and have never had a problem with it breaking, but I don't use a high temperature when I'm using it, I try not to go over 400 degrees.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Karin

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 01:37:45 PM »
This modern pyrex bakeware that you can buy anywhere is fine for ovens, never had a problem with casseroles, etc. 
BUT
When I got my first apartment in the 2nd year of college, I scoured garage sales for things to furnish it.  I picked up an old saucepan made of glass.  I assumed it could be used as a saucepan.  Once, I put some soup or something in it, and placed it on the electric burner.  After a bit, it started ticking ominously, like a bomb.  All of a sudden, it did explode, sending glass and soup all over the place.  The glass pieces were not sharp, but rounded, such as you would get with a car window.  I was pretty shaken, but not hit by the shrapnel. 

Offline debk

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 03:22:18 PM »
There was a big deal about glass baking dishes back before Christmas, about them cracking and or exploding.

Here's the Snopes thing on it....
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

One of the things I saw about it on tv was to make sure that you aren't using one that's damaged, prior to using it. If you have any with significant chips in it, you might want to replace it.

I use Pyrex all the time, mostly in the oven. I use "dark" metalware for baking cakes, brownies,cookies, bread, muffins, and Pyrex for anything else.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 04:43:30 PM »
Pyrex or Anchor Hocking or sometimes Corelle, if it was oven proof. I have never had any glassware explode.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 05:05:13 AM »
i have never seen any glassware explode in the oven, but I have seen it explode on hot burners.  Very fast changes of temperature, as with a hot burner, or putting cold water on hot glass, or boiling water on cold glass, are the only times I've seen any problem. 

The glass saucepans that are made to be used as saucepans work fine on ceramic top stoves, but I've never tried them on a gas stove or even my standard electric.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 01:07:45 PM »
When I got my first apartment in the 2nd year of college, I scoured garage sales for things to furnish it.  I picked up an old saucepan made of glass.  I assumed it could be used as a saucepan.  Once, I put some soup or something in it, and placed it on the electric burner.  After a bit, it started ticking ominously, like a bomb.  All of a sudden, it did explode, sending glass and soup all over the place.  The glass pieces were not sharp, but rounded, such as you would get with a car window.  I was pretty shaken, but not hit by the shrapnel.

In the interests of literary excellence and credibility, madam--remember, I'm working on another story of the Packer clan--could such a phenomenon have been fatal to several persons?

I need to be credible, to tell a believable story.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 01:24:43 PM »
In the interests of literary excellence and credibility, madam--remember, I'm working on another story of the Packer clan--could such a phenomenon have been fatal to several persons?

The story could revolve around a glass pressure cooker. On a gas range.

Offline debk

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »

Don't know that it was fatal to anyone, but in the reports I saw back before holidays....it was reported some very severe burns and lacerations.

Depending on what's in the casserole, and how long and what temp the food was cooked...it could really burn. I make creme brulee, and had the brown sugar topping catch on fire when I was melting it. Stupidly, very stupidly, I poked at it with my fingertip. Not only did it melt the polish, but some of the melted sugar went under the nail. I said lots of very nasty words as my fingertip very quickly blistered up! High sugar, butter or fat content will burn skin quite easily. Potatoes also really hold heat.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 03:38:35 AM »
Pyrex, Corningware, etc. is fine in the oven. I imagine it MIGHT break if you used it for broiling, but it wouldn't explode, you'd just have a ruined meal and a mess to clean up, and it's usually used for casseroles and the like anyway.

On a stovetop is another story. My mom had a clear pyrex coffeepot that she used for years on a gas stove, back when people boiled coffee, but I've seen the glass saucepans pop. I guess they made better pyrex in her era.

It's probably one of the safest things you can bake in. I'm seeing articles saying that aluminum, teflon coatings and the like might be toxic...yeah, we've all used these things and we're still here, but it could have a cumulative effect.

If in doubt, go with stainless or cast iron I guess.

As far as the story goes, I've never seen a glass pressure cooker. That's kinda askin' for trouble... :p Do they exist? And is Mrs. Packer crazy enough to use one?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 03:51:27 AM by stelz »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 11:58:54 AM »
I remember one of the OLD TV shows, Mr. Peepers, during which Rex Marshall, the host and hawker for advertiser Maxwell Coffee, pouring steaming hot coffee into a clear coffee mug and it shattered in his hands. He was left holding onto the cup handle.

:rotf:  :lmao:
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »
   It may be better to go with a story on pressure cookers, these have some specular explosions that we can most of us give you child hood storeys of.