Author Topic: Canned Peas, Why Not?  (Read 6734 times)

Offline cavegal

Canned Peas, Why Not?
« on: September 10, 2010, 06:08:26 PM »
I see a few member's have issues with canned peas.. yes no? why? 

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Canned Peas, Why Not?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 06:22:30 PM »
because they are overcooked and NASTY. I'm not a fan of most canned vegetables. I prefer fresh or frozen. (I don't like a whole lot of veggies to begin with) I'll eat canned veggies in an emergency.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 07:10:05 PM »
because they are overcooked and NASTY. I'm not a fan of most canned vegetables. I prefer fresh or frozen. (I don't like a whole lot of veggies to begin with) I'll eat canned veggies in an emergency.

I agree (except for del-monte green beans, I also love fresh green beans).  I love frozen peas (with real butter and pepper only), can't stand canned. They are like mush. 

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 07:20:35 PM »
I have no problem with canned peas.   

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 08:09:03 PM »
I like both but my family will only eat LeSeur canned peas.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 09:34:04 PM »
I love the frozen peas the best,they're greener,taster,and don't get mushie. But, in a pinch I have eaten canned. Just have to try to doctor them up.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 10:56:07 PM »
 :puke:

Do you not see his puke is pea green????

I have a saying, made it up myself to psych myself into things I don't want to do.  "Sometimes you just gotta eat peas."  My Mom LOVES peas, and my brother and I were members of the clean plate club.....not by choice.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 11:16:56 PM »

If i wanted to eat mushy cardboard - I'd just go eat a wet packing case.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 11:34:43 PM »

Too slimy! I can eat frozen but canned just gags me.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 12:05:24 AM »
I have no problem with canned peas.   
I'm glad to see one reasonable person in this thread.

I don't get the aversion.  Canned or frozen, they all taste the same to me but I don't overcook my peas.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 12:47:28 AM »

I don't get the aversion.  Canned or frozen, they all taste the same to me but I don't overcook my peas.

Frozen

Canned Peas

Which look better to you?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 12:51:56 AM »
They all look the same in the end. :p
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 12:56:54 AM »
I don't particularly like peas to begin with.

Canned peas are not food. I'm not sure what they are...but they aren't food, and should never enter a human's mouth.    :puke:

I will eat frozen ones, if they are barely steamed, with butter, salt and pepper.

I will eat thawed non-cooked ones in that layered salad stuff.

They have to have some crispness, or I won't touch them.....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 01:11:24 AM »
I can see I'm in the minority here.  I'll just sit here with my canned peas and sushi, then.

Offline debk

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 01:31:49 AM »
I can see I'm in the minority here.  I'll just sit here with my canned peas and sushi, then.

I like sushi... :drool: :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 01:34:09 AM »
Did you miss the last sushi thread?  It didn't end well.

Publix sells sushi in small batches... I'll go there if I really need a fix.  Their Sunshine Sampler is good.  The nearest Chinese buffet has California rolls on the buffet, but I'm not brave enough to try them.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 01:55:12 AM »
I suppose I was abused as a child.  I have a pretty low threshold for "good" peas. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushy_peas

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 07:59:08 PM »
I guess I got burned out on canned peas when I was growing and from my time on the ships. Fresh or frozen veggies are best. I don't care a lot for veggies to begin with, so I guess I just have to have the better whenever possible. Given an emergency situation, I'd probably eat canned peas happily.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 09:06:25 PM »

Call me another unreasonable person, then.

Canned peas, along with virtually ALL canned vegetables (except for tomatoes) are abominable. Fresh or frozen. Never canned.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 09:10:34 PM »
I guess I got burned out on canned peas when I was growing and from my time on the ships. Fresh or frozen veggies are best. I don't care a lot for veggies to begin with, so I guess I just have to have the better whenever possible. Given an emergency situation, I'd probably eat canned peas happily.

Well yeah, I would eat canned peas before I bbq'd my dog, but that is about it.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 09:22:43 PM »

Canned peas, along with virtually ALL canned vegetables (except for tomatoes) are abominable. Fresh or frozen. Never canned.

:II:

Well yeah, I would eat canned peas before I bbq'd my dog, but that is about it.

I'm more carnivorous than herbivorous. I'd probably BBQ the dog before I'd eat canned peas.....

Offline debk

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 10:35:46 PM »

I happen to love Green Giant Niblets....drained, in a bowl, with a tablespoon of butter, lots of pepper, zapped in the microwave just until hot. Could eat the whole thing, and still want more... :drool:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 04:20:54 PM »
On 3-12 I heated up a can of Kroger peas in the microwave that I had purchased from Dillons at Central and Maize. After eating about half the bowl I noticed something a little darker mixed in with my peas. After one more spoonful of peas IT APPEARED. A FROG!!! After doing a double-triple take I spit my peas out all over the counter and ran to the kitchen sink and lost it. Grossed out beyond belief I poured a big glass of wine and chugged it. Apparently wine and frog laced peas don't go well together because I went back to the sink and lost it again.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-frog-peas.htm

Any questions?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots