Author Topic: Herbal Essences  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
Herbal Essences
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:24:46 PM »
Olive oils take on a new dimension when infused with flavors straight from the garden. Flavored oils perk up most ordinary dishes, from grilled fish to mashed potatoes.

Among favorite combinations:basil,cilantro,and mint;the classic duo of rosemary and garlic;and saffron(very expensive),which adds an earthy flare to pasta, soups, and (my favorite) vegetables. For the best taste, combine oils with herbs and spices in a heavy pan over very low heat for a few minutes. "Heating, extracts the flavor and activates the oil,"

For 1 cup of olive oil,use your choice of 11/2 cups of soft, fresh herbs(basil, cilantro, mint);1/2 cup of pungent ones (rosemary); 5 cloves of garlic;thinly sliced;or 2 pinches of ground spices such as saffron(mix ground spices in about 1 teaspoon of boiling water to make a pasta first, and then pour the heated oil on top). Once bubbles start to form on the surface, remove the mixture from the heat and steep overnite. Strain, pour into glass jars, and refrigerate, where it will keep for at least a month.

Experiment and bring pizazz to a favorite dish.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: Herbal Essences
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Olive oils take on a new dimension when infused with flavors straight from the garden. Flavored oils perk up most ordinary dishes, from grilled fish to mashed potatoes.

Among favorite combinations:basil,cilantro,and mint;the classic duo of rosemary and garlic;and saffron(very expensive),which adds an earthy flare to pasta, soups, and (my favorite) vegetables. For the best taste, combine oils with herbs and spices in a heavy pan over very low heat for a few minutes. "Heating, extracts the flavor and activates the oil,"

For 1 cup of olive oil,use your choice of 11/2 cups of soft, fresh herbs(basil, cilantro, mint);1/2 cup of pungent ones (rosemary); 5 cloves of garlic;thinly sliced;or 2 pinches of ground spices such as saffron(mix ground spices in about 1 teaspoon of boiling water to make a pasta first, and then pour the heated oil on top). Once bubbles start to form on the surface, remove the mixture from the heat and steep overnite. Strain, pour into glass jars, and refrigerate, where it will keep for at least a month.

Experiment and bring pizazz to a favorite dish.

Ah yes the olfactory delights.

I believe that as long as food smells really good, one will over look the fact that the food tastes bland.     The nose takes over and dictates that the taste is also great.

My favorite smell is bread baking.   Don't know why but when the smell hits me my salivary glands go into high gear.  Someone should come up with a scent of baking bread for men.

Perhaps not, it could cause obscene things to happen in public.

Offline debk

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 06:49:57 PM »

I believe that as long as food smells really good, one will over look the fact that the food tastes bland.     The nose takes over and dictates that the taste is also great.

My favorite smell is bread baking.   Don't know why but when the smell hits me my salivary glands go into high gear.  Someone should come up with a scent of baking bread for men.

I think you can buy candles now, that smell like baking bread.

Not sure who makes them....maybe Yankee Candle?
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 05:20:44 PM »
Yankee Candle has one of my favorite scents...and you'd sware I was cooking it when I burn it.
Lemon Pound Cake....y'all must try it.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 08:44:12 AM »
Yankee Candle has one of my favorite scents...and you'd sware I was cooking it when I burn it.
Lemon Pound Cake....y'all must try it.

I love Yankee Candles.  Favorite for the cold months is the Mackintosh, and in the summer, the Sage Citrus.  They have a new one, Pineapple Cilantro, that intrigues me.

Inga, thanks for the hint.  I am going to make some, with my herbs from my garden. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 09:58:03 AM »

They do make candles for men, but I don't see any "baking bread" scents...http://www.mandleco.com/default.asp

:-) :-)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.