Author Topic: Italian Sausage Soup  (Read 2943 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Italian Sausage Soup
« on: January 03, 2010, 08:22:06 PM »
Italian Sausage Soup

I don't remember if I posted this recipe before but I made it again the week of Christmas and  I was reminded of just how great this soup is.  With over 800 reviews it has 5 stars.  I followed the advice of one of the people who reviewed it and it is the only way I have made it.  There are other suggestions in the review but I think I'm going to stick to the advice below:

GREAT RECIPE! I have made this a couple times now and love it. I followed suggestions from other reviews and made the following changes: used hot italian sausage, 3 cloves of garlic, added 1 can of chicken broth, 1 small onion diced, 2 celery stalks diced, **1 can white kidney beans (drained and pureed)** read below, 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta and 1 tea crushed red pepper. Brown sausage, celery, garlic and onion in dutch oven. Add broth, tomatoes, carrots, crushed red pepper and pepper and simmer 1 hour uncovered. **Add pureed kidney beans and cook another half-hour**I didn't do this part. Add zucchini and can of great northern beans and cook 15 minutes. Add orzo and cook 5 min. Add spinach and cook another 5 min. Add extra water if too thick. Serve with shredded romano cheese on top. The most important change is the addition of the orzo pasta. It really made the soup delicious and filling. Thanks for such a great recipe!

Prep Time:
10 Min Cook Time:
40 Min Ready In:
50 Min
Servings  (Help)

USMetricCalculate

Original Recipe Yield 6 servings 
Ingredients

1 pound Italian sausage
1 clove garlic, minced
2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
1 cup sliced carrots
1 (14.5 ounce) can great Northern beans, undrained
2 small zucchini, cubed
2 cups spinach - packed, rinsed and torn
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions

In a stockpot or Dutch oven, brown sausage with garlic. Stir in broth, tomatoes and carrots, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
Stir in beans with liquid and zucchini. Cover, and simmer another 15 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
Remove from heat, and add spinach. Replace lid allowing the heat from the soup to cook the spinach leaves. Soup is ready to serve after 5 minutes.

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
Re: Italian Sausage Soup
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 08:26:38 PM »
That sounds great to me on a cold day like we are having...I have saved this recipe and will give your version a shot...Thanks....
"Liberals are like slinkies.They're really good for nothing, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 08:28:14 PM »
oh I bought the hot italian sausage in link form, took the casing off and cut it down the middle then cut it the other way into bite size pieces.  After I browned it they were little mini meatballs. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 08:29:02 PM »
That sounds great to me on a cold day like we are having...I have saved this recipe and will give your version a shot...Thanks....

You are welcome.  I also have a great potato soup recipe that I'm going to  post.  I may have already posted it but again I can't remember. 

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 08:30:54 PM »
You are welcome.  I also have a great potato soup recipe that I'm going to  post.  I may have already posted it but again I can't remember. 

Its good for us newbies......
"Liberals are like slinkies.They're really good for nothing, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 08:42:49 PM »
Wow. Two interesting recipes and not a drop of Cool-Whip in sight...

:uhsure:
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 11:14:37 PM »
Wow. Two interesting recipes and not a drop of Cool-Whip in sight...

:uhsure:

I'm going to cut you. :p

Offline debk

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 12:33:48 AM »
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 02:48:21 PM »
Hell, I thought this was a prOn thread.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.