Author Topic: Texas won't give primitive a new leg  (Read 2397 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Texas won't give primitive a new leg
« on: October 06, 2009, 05:48:14 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6705764

Oh my.

TexasLady  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-05-09 11:20 PM
Original message

Hi, Folks. Texas Just Told Me I Don't Get a Leg. 

As a lot of people know, I lost my leg in Feb of this year. I am chairing and crutching nicely. However, I lost my sit down job after being gone for so long in the hospital. We still have two minor kids, and make about 27000 a year thereabouts. My job didn't make much, but it helped. I am 46. Bad age apparently.

I applied for SSI and Medicaid. Nope, that butt sitting job was not going to allow it.(Im appealing) I applied for a leg to get me back to work, through DARS (Department of Assistive & Rehabilitative Services)here in Texas. After the 60 days had passed, and I heard nothing from them, I called on the 30th of September. I was told by my caseworker that I did not meet the criteria for help. Why? Because it was determined I didn't need a prosthetic because of the now dead job I had sitting on my ass. Yep, folks, My butt is now my new leg...I cried all day after that news. (I still haven't recieved written word about this)... I am at a loss.

I have just finished applying for a leg at limbs of love. They are a wonderful charity group for amputees..Crossing my fingers.

In all three cases, SSI, Medicaid, and DARS, I was told that I don't need any help because I can do sit down jobs. So I can't chase my new grandson, I can't garden, I can't go for walks to the lake like I did daily before this all happened, and I can't do a whole host of other things I'd like to do because I guess having a limb is a luxury in this country. Oh, and no I never had any insurance. We are both self employed, and it just wasn't feasable. Groceries and bills are all we can do. The hospital bill is about 200,000 last I looked. They can forget it. They misdiagnosed me for a month as it is, and probably could have saved my leg. I so understood what Grayson said...dont get sick, or if u do die quickly.

Thanks for letting me rant. I am ready to MOVE out of this state. I talk to other amps around the world, and a couple of the UK folks could not believe that I have been going through this. I can't believe this either. Lots of health care folks DO have compassion in this state, luckily. So at least I am not completely alone, here. Some days I sure feel like it.

Just wanted to let folks know that health reform is a REAL need for real folks like myself. I may not get all the ins and outs of the particulars in health reform, but I know it damn sure NEEDS some reforming!

Well, shit.  Nebraska never gave franksolich two ears.

But franksolich somehow manages to get along very well, thank you.

It's a big bonfire, so I'll stick with quoting just the PoP, if any.

The California piggy primitive:

CaliforniaPeggy  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-05-09 11:28 PM
Response to Original message

3. My dear TexasLady! 

This is so wrong on so many levels. How can they do this to you?

I am aghast, and horrified, and pissed off!

Wishing I could do something for you...

Health reform is a must, especially for folks like yourself.

Hang in there...

The racist babbling sister primitive finally spills the beans on why she was looking for free legal advice, and why she was in the market for medical insurance:

babylonsister  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-05-09 11:30 PM

4. I love you for posting this, and respect you for your outlook. I am going through a divorce in TX, and it's not very lady friendly, never mind person-friendly.

Limbs of love sounds like a great resource from the name alone. I hope you find comfort.

I'm getting out of town, too, but for different reasons.

I really hope you can find someone soon who will recognize your need and help.

One wonders why the racist babbling sister primitive's dumping her husband, who always seemed like such a nice guy, uxorious and considerate of her.

I'm sure we'll learn sooner or later.

The cross-eyed Iowa primitive, who's a hefty guy, and four-eyed, and ostensibly a hardened ex-con, who now lives in Denver:

Hawkeye-X  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-05-09 11:33 PM

6. You're in my thoughts, TL 

Move up to Colorado, and I'll get you started with one of the top Vocational Rehab counselors - and a old friend of the family.

And plenty of support for the disabled. Hell, here we have two different organizations that helps the disabled land decent jobs with decent pay/bennies.

One is Bayaud Industries, the other being Service Source (ourpeoplework.org - they MAY have something in your area)

They use VR to help locate qualified disabled people - my wife is one of them.

Crusty old Melanie:

Th1onein  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-06-09 10:25 AM
Response to Reply #17

101. Now this is where TORT REFORM comes in......

Can't sue that hospital or doc for TOO MUCH, now, can she? After all, the right wing pushed through all those tort reforms. AND, Bush put in all those right wing judges.

The Zbigniew primitive:

nadinbrzezinski  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-05-09 11:49 PM

27. it is a real need and it makes me scream in anger

Hugs, and I wish I could do more, much more.

The vindictive primitive, who needs a new pair of hips:

Vinca  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-06-09 08:40 AM

82. Maybe you should email Eric Cantor. I'm sure he'd help.

I wish I was rich so I could make your problem go away. Any chance you can sue over the misdiagnosis that caused the loss of the leg or has the Texas tort reform removed that option?

The bitter old Vermontese cali primitive:

cali  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-06-09 09:45 AM

93. What's happening to you makes me so ****ing angry

Is there anything that we can do? Have you contacted your local newspaper? I don't know. Maybe that sounds stupid.

DU AdBot (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct 06th 2009, 06:34 PM

0bama Cedar Storage Trunk

Show Your Support for our President
With a Beautiful Cedar 0bama Trunk!

Well, while there's a lot of primitives at this bonfire, the above's the only PoP.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: Texas won't give primitive a new leg
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 05:54:27 PM »
CaliforniaPeggy  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-05-09 11:28 PM

3. My dear TexasLady! 

This is so wrong on so many levels. How can they do this to you?

I am aghast, and horrified, and pissed off!

Wishing I could do something for you...
Have you tried sending her money to offset the purchase of a prosthetic leg?

Health reform is a must, especially for folks like yourself.
But there already is a government program...

...and it told her to bugger off because it doesn't see her as a profit center but as a consumer of finite resources.

Some of us call them death panels.

Hang in there...

Don't say "hang in there" to the chronically depressed.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 05:55:17 PM »
One wonders why the racist babbling sister primitive's dumping her husband, who always seemed like such a nice guy, uxorious and considerate of her.

I'm sure we'll learn sooner or later.

Probably because he's not a batsh*t crazy, drooling, raving liberal....

Way to sane for the racist babbling sister primitive....
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 06:03:55 PM »
Have you tried sending her money to offset the purchase of a prosthetic leg?

Primitives don't 'do' charity - And after viewing pictures of CP's humble abode, I know she can afford to do more than send healing white light and type messages that start with the words 'my dear' .

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 06:05:12 PM »
TexasLady  (1000+ posts)        Mon Mar-30-09 06:25 PM
Original message
A Plea for Help, Really Bad Times Have Hit Me and my Family
 Edited on Mon Mar-30-09 06:43 PM by TexasLady

Around the end of Jan. and the first two weeks of Feb., I was in awful pain in my left calf. Four visits to the ER, and each doctor kept saying it was sciatic nerve.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x8650588#

I feel for her, really I do. But I know they told her to see HER doctor after each ER visit.  No mention that she did.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 06:05:27 PM »
Primitives don't 'do' charity - And after viewing pictures of CP's humble abode, I know she can afford to do more than send healing white light and type messages that start with the words 'my dear' .

Oh yes.

The California piggy primitive has a lot of dough.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 06:08:28 PM »
What happened to FMLA?  I thought that was supposed to ensure that you could return to your job within 12 months of an injury or illness.  Don't tell me another liberal Democrat program has failed.

If I was that hard up for a leg, I think I'd go to Home Depot to buy a 4x4 and start carving.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 06:11:57 PM »
If I was that hard up for a leg, I think I'd go to Home Depot to buy a 4x4 and start carving.

I could whittle up something real purty with my Dremel.
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 06:28:54 PM »
TexasLady  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-05-09 11:20 PM
Original message

Hi, Folks. Texas Just Told Me I Don't Get a Leg. 

As a lot of people know, I lost my leg in Feb of this year. I am chairing and crutching nicely. However, I lost my sit down job after being gone for so long in the hospital. We still have two minor kids, and make about 27000 a year thereabouts. My job didn't make much, but it helped. I am 46. Bad age apparently.

I applied for SSI and Medicaid. Nope, that butt sitting job was not going to allow it.(Im appealing) I applied for a leg to get me back to work, through DARS (Department of Assistive & Rehabilitative Services)here in Texas. After the 60 days had passed, and I heard nothing from them, I called on the 30th of September. I was told by my caseworker that I did not meet the criteria for help. Why? Because it was determined I didn't need a prosthetic because of the now dead job I had sitting on my ass. Yep, folks, My butt is now my new leg...I cried all day after that news. (I still haven't recieved written word about this)... I am at a loss.

I have just finished applying for a leg at limbs of love. They are a wonderful charity group for amputees..Crossing my fingers.

In all three cases, SSI, Medicaid, and DARS, I was told that I don't need any help because I can do sit down jobs. So I can't chase my new grandson, I can't garden, I can't go for walks to the lake like I did daily before this all happened, and I can't do a whole host of other things I'd like to do because I guess having a limb is a luxury in this country. Oh, and no I never had any insurance. We are both self employed, and it just wasn't feasable. Groceries and bills are all we can do. The hospital bill is about 200,000 last I looked. They can forget it. They misdiagnosed me for a month as it is, and probably could have saved my leg. I so understood what Grayson said...dont get sick, or if u do die quickly.

Thanks for letting me rant. I am ready to MOVE out of this state. I talk to other amps around the world, and a couple of the UK folks could not believe that I have been going through this. I can't believe this either. Lots of health care folks DO have compassion in this state, luckily. So at least I am not completely alone, here. Some days I sure feel like it.

Just wanted to let folks know that health reform is a REAL need for real folks like myself. I may not get all the ins and outs of the particulars in health reform, but I know it damn sure NEEDS some reforming!

Right off the bat she is lying.

Now as far as the no insurance thing somehow I doubt the couldn`t afford it story is true either...chose not to more likely but no way to know.
Just that she contradicts herself makes it clear as always much is left out of the tale of woe.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 06:34:58 PM »
Right off the bat she is lying.

Now as far as the no insurance thing somehow I doubt the couldn`t afford it story is true either...chose not to more likely but no way to know.
Just that she contradicts herself makes it clear as always much is left out of the tale of woe.

How does one get fired from a self-employed job, one wonders.

I'm wondering if this case is similar with what happened to a primitive-like creature out here in the Sandhills of Nebraska last year.

A guy about 55 years old, Democrat, not especially bright, diabetic.

He started noticing parts of the lower halves of both legs were turning black, and stinking.

He put off going to a physician--no reason to not see a physician, as he's covered--figuring, in his words, "well, the doctor'll take care of it when I go in."

Both legs had to be amputated below the knees.

Now, I'm sure anyone with an IQ of over 40, upon discovering that parts of the body were turning black and stinking, would go see a physician right away.

But this guy figured no matter how bad it got, the physician would take care of it.

Really.  It blew my mind.  And the guy's a Democrat.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 06:41:04 PM »
We are both self employed

Maybe they work from home, taking online surveys, assembling crafts and sending emails from Nigeria.   ::)
    - Charlton Heston

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 06:43:21 PM »
Yet another DUmmy sob story reeking of undisclosed details.

She likely got a prosthetic leg at the hospital, then put it on eBay.

Now she's just $10 short of having two legs.

DUmmies! Send your money to Doug's poor stupid ex-wife!

The best fake legs come from Johns Hopkins.

Offline Doc Savage

• Challenger of the Democratic faith
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 07:00:40 PM »
Her name would not be Eileen would it?

Bad joke I know but, if she ever looses the other leg and has to go to court, she won't have a leg to stand on.
You see, I don't care you how feel.  I really don't.  More importantly, neither does anyone else.  Only about 200 people on a planet of 7 billion actually care about your feelings, and that's if you're lucky.  The sooner you grasp this lesson, the better off you will be.  And since almost no one gives a damn what you do, say, think, or feel, appealing to your feelings when you encounter differences of opinion is not only illogical, but useless.

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 07:04:47 PM »
What happened to FMLA?  I thought that was supposed to ensure that you could return to your job within 12 months of an injury or illness.  Don't tell me another liberal Democrat program has failed.

Well, you see, the problem is that she was an asskicker. Now....

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 07:06:16 PM »
If what she sez is true, she should contact her local newspaper and try to get a story on this done. Americans are incredibly generous to people that are truly in need.
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »

She may have already used hers up for her rolling 12 months on something else, like taking care of her family.  Or, she may not work for a FMLA eligible company.  They must have 50 people employed within 75 miles.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 07:38:38 PM »
If what she sez is true, she should contact her local newspaper and try to get a story on this done. Americans are incredibly generous to people that are truly in need.

No, she's just scamming the Dummies.

If her backstory were true, she'd already have her pegleg.
(I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent Talk Like A Pirate Day.)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
Quote from:
TexasLady

Yep, folks, My butt is now my new leg

You'll need to remove your head before you walk on it.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 08:03:42 PM »
Yet another DUmmy sob story reeking of undisclosed details.

She likely got a prosthetic leg at the hospital, then put it on eBay.

Now she's just $10 short of having two legs.

DUmmies! Send your money to Doug's poor stupid ex-wife!

The best fake legs come from Johns Hopkins.

No shit! Every amputee I have ever heard of has had at least one fitting before they even leave the hospital! There are countless charity organizations that help amputees!

This beeyutch is just trying to get DUmp cred! I call B.S.!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline djones520

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 08:12:43 PM »
Watch the charity give him the leg.

The total irony will be lost on the DUmmy.  Government healthcare wouldn't provide, but charity did.  Totally proving OUR point, but he'd never realize it.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 09:18:58 PM »

Bad joke I know but, if she ever looses the other leg and has to go to court, she won't have a leg to stand on.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 09:54:20 PM »
I'm sorry, but ObamaCare has a plan and it reserves most healthcare for those between 14 and 40.

Your butt is out of luck.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 10:08:53 PM »

Actually, I heard her name is Irene. And she is Asian..   :-)

Yes yes, I know... THATS WAISIS!!!!111eleventyone!!1