Author Topic: Dog Toys  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
Dog Toys
« on: February 05, 2008, 04:30:41 PM »
Looking for advice here on getting dog toys that are damn near indestructible. Just yesterday at the store, I bought a tennis ball bone home for my dog, and within a matter of an hour, he had it completely destroyed.

The felt covering was off first as after it being thrown to him a few times, he decided to "skin it", and then this morning before I woke up, he was laying in the bedroom chomping on the inside core and tearing it to bits. I have bought him several "unbreakable" toys in the last few months such as these...

And a few more.... but the Kong has been the only thing to last. Anything good I can get for a decent price that will at least last a month or so??
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 04:33:21 PM by Skizz »

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Re: Dog Toys
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 05:01:41 PM »
Give him a brick to chew on.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 05:03:40 PM »
I have a dog like that. The only thing that worked were bones. She chews them, tosses them, hides them, etc. Fortunately they're relatively inexpensive and not as messy as I thought. I get raw ones from the meat dept. for outside and the more "civilized" ones from the feed store. No more chewed stuff...it's really hard to fight natural instincts, though.

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 05:43:42 PM »
I was going to post the pic of the dog hauling around the giant dildo, but my better senses kicked in.  :uhsure:

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Flame

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 08:38:20 PM »
I have a couple of KONGS around here...my dogs don't care for them at all.  They aren't big chewers, they just want the food straight up! :-)

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 07:33:29 AM »
Shove some peanut butter in the hole in that Kong.  Will keep him occupied for hours at a time.

True dat.^

My dog can absolutely destroy a jumbo rawhide bone in about 45 minutes, but he's still on his first Kong after 9 months.  We used the peanut butter trick early on to get him focused off the furniture.
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 10:59:28 AM »
My Jack Russell used to destroy everything I gave him.  He eventually settled on the Buddy Glow Ball.  It stretched out his mouth just to hold it.  The didn't destroy it, but it was ALOT softer by the time he died.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline DaSaintFan

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 04:12:36 PM »
Shove some peanut butter in the hole in that Kong.  Will keep him occupied for hours at a time.

exactly.. both of mine are nuts for PB... one of them would get it on her nose.. her tongue wouldn't stop trying to get it off for hours...

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 06:40:51 PM »
I dont know how big your dog is, but our golden plays with and chews on... soccer balls. He can carry two tennis balls AND one soccer ball in his mouth at once..

Here's a pic of his one tennis ball and a rogue stick he tore off a fence (just kidding.. he found it on a walk and just scooped it up)

http://flickr.com/photos/jeffsand/2218336459/

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 09:57:20 PM »
Give him a brick to chew on.

ACTUALLY, he does "play" with a cinder block that's in the backyard. This dog will drag the ****er around... no kidding!

The peanut butter in the Kong works, only for a few minutes. I fill the thing with small dog treats, maybe some cereal like Peanut Butter Cap N' Crunch, some of his dog food, peanut butter or cheese, and then have a dog bone cookie sticking out of the other end.... he's done with it in 10 minutes, and then wants me to throw the damn thing!

Well, when I get paid next week, we'll be heading to the PetSMart to try something else more durable. Like a cat.  :-)

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 10:16:20 PM »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 10:22:35 PM »
My little Lola (miniature toy poodle born last August) doesn't tear up anything.  She chewed on a playing card once.  I worry about her.