Author Topic: A foreigner's perspective on Thanksgiving  (Read 708 times)

Offline CharlesD

• Just Off Probation
A foreigner's perspective on Thanksgiving
« on: November 28, 2008, 10:36:16 AM »
For those who don't know, I am married to a Kenyan.  Today we celebrated Thanksgiving with a house full of Kenyans, most of them Luo, the same tribe as my wife and our new President elect.  For the most part, it was a typical Thanksgiving, except that the food was a mix of American and Kenyan food, mostly Kenyan since I was the only American present.

For most of the afternoon it was like any other Thanksgiving;  we cooked a lot of food, prayed over the meal, ate way too much, watched football until the games got lopsided, and socialized...while the children retired to the basement for quality time with the Playstation.  Most of the time people were in small groups talking, mostly about things going on in Africa, which left me somewhat out of the loop, but eventually all of the adults ended up around the living room and one of them spoke up.

He said, "I know this is an American holiday, but the truth is that we all have a lot to be thankful for.  We are all in this great country and we can take advantage of the opportunities that America has to offer.  I think we should thank God for that."

The whole point of this holiday hit me at that point.  Here I had been eating too much food and complaining that the football games were lopsided and not interesting, and then this man who came here from another country stands up and earnestly says that he thanks God for the ability to be here.  I became more thankful at that moment myself, glad to not only have a lot of food and friends to spend a day with, but thankful for the opportunities that have been afforded me in this country.  I guess viewing America through the eyes of a foreigner made me even more grateful for what I have and where I live.  We truly have a lot to be thankful for.
"To those who cite the First Amendment as reason for excluding God from more and more of our institutions and everyday life, may I just say: The First Amendment of the Constitution was not written to protect the people of this country from religious values; it was written to protect religious values from government tyranny."
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.demaristransportation.com

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: A foreigner's perspective on Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 10:38:42 AM »
Charles, have you ever travelled overseas?? My first deployment showed me just how thankful I was for this country. Subsequent deployments merely re-inforced that.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline CharlesD

• Just Off Probation
Re: A foreigner's perspective on Thanksgiving
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 11:12:08 AM »
Charles, have you ever travelled overseas?? My first deployment showed me just how thankful I was for this country. Subsequent deployments merely re-inforced that.

Israel, Ireland, Canada, and Mexico.  Every time I come back it has the same effect.  Hearing how genuine that Kenyan was yesterday really drove it home. 
"To those who cite the First Amendment as reason for excluding God from more and more of our institutions and everyday life, may I just say: The First Amendment of the Constitution was not written to protect the people of this country from religious values; it was written to protect religious values from government tyranny."
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.demaristransportation.com