Author Topic: Chilli harvest  (Read 3976 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Chilli harvest
« on: August 27, 2008, 02:57:22 PM »
It is coming up to the time when I will be overrun with chillis, this year I have apache, jalapeno and cayenne.

BadCat found me a great recipe for chilli jelly last year which I have now lost in the CU crash so I'd love to get that again. 

I'd also like any suggestions for other ways of using them. Some I will dry and some I'll freeze but recipes for sauces etc would be welcome.

Offline Flame

Re: Chilli harvest
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:20:45 PM »
I'd use the jalapenos to make salsa, and i'd dry the cayenne for a powder.  Never had an apache, so I can't say anything about those.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 06:39:43 AM »
salt, vinegar and cayenne................a pot and some heat.................
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 06:42:40 AM »
Thanks for those.

CH - what sort of vinegar is best?

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 08:43:38 AM »
I grow habenero, inferno and "Asian" chillies. There are two jars for each type of chili. One with cider vinegar and one with peanut oil. I constantly add too and remove from the jars so they never really get out of date. One can use the oil or vinegar as a component or remove the chunks of chili (I remove stems and then half before adding to the oil/vinegar base) and use them in their own right.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 08:51:03 AM »
I grow habenero, inferno and "Asian" chillies. There are two jars for each type of chili. One with cider vinegar and one with peanut oil. I constantly add too and remove from the jars so they never really get out of date. One can use the oil or vinegar as a component or remove the chunks of chili (I remove stems and then half before adding to the oil/vinegar base) and use them in their own right.

Thanks, I do like chilli oil. Do you heat the oil first? I have read conflicting advice on that.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 09:08:33 AM »
Wear gloves and wash your hands often. 

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 02:44:54 PM »
Thanks for those.

Apple Cider

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 03:14:57 PM »
Thanks for those.

Apple Cider
Thanks Crazy Horse.  I shall definitely give that one a go.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 12:24:39 AM »

Thanks, I do like chilli oil. Do you heat the oil first? I have read conflicting advice on that.

I do heat the oil or vinegar for every new jar I make, usually to gift out to people. The jars in the fridge though just get topped up with liquid and fresh halved and washed chili's periodically.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 07:27:13 AM »
Must...move back...to New Mexico...Hatch...Cruces...yum.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 04:35:07 PM »
It is coming up to the time when I will be overrun with chillis, this year I have apache, jalapeno and cayenne.

BadCat found me a great recipe for chilli jelly last year which I have now lost in the CU crash so I'd love to get that again. 

I'd also like any suggestions for other ways of using them. Some I will dry and some I'll freeze but recipes for sauces etc would be welcome.

I've got four cayenne plants going.........................3 peppers over two months. One plant wouldn't even bud.

Well I didn't really think the cheetos would work.......................but you betcha they did. The plant that didn't bud now has 8 peppers and 15 flowers and about 30 buds coming in. the others are about the same.................Oh the sauces to make................maybe even fry (I'm southern afterall) some of em.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 02:48:17 PM »
I don't remember which one I gave you bijou, but here are some good ones.

http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/jams_idx.html

If I recall, the one I gave you had apple juice in it.
Thanks BC I'm sure I will find it there.  In the end I used a good quality cloudy organic apple juice half and half with vinegar. It was delicious and I got so many compliments for it. 

Offline debk

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 02:50:46 PM »
I buy a habenero peach preserves that's wonderful with pork.

I bet you could dice up the habeneros really small (remove skin and seeds) put in a saucepan with plain peach preserves. Cook for awhile until the peppers have basically dissolved then pour back in the jar and keep refrigerated.

I either serve it on the side, or I melt it down in a saucepan and pour over a seared pork tenderloin and bake until medium rare. Incredible flavor.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.