Author Topic: Orange County may take stand against state's 'sanctuary' laws  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Orange County may take stand against state's 'sanctuary' laws
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-anti-sanctuary-movement-in-oc-20180327-story.html

Just more than a week after tiny Los Alamitos voted to defy California's law protecting immigrants in the country illegally, Orange County is poised to become a counterpoint against the state's resistance to the Trump administration's policies.

On Tuesday, Orange County supervisors may consider whether to take up a resolution to condemn and possibly take legal action against the state's "sanctuary" laws.

"These state laws are preempted by federal law," Orange County Supervisor Shawn Nelson said. "Our officers actually face penalties under state law if they so much as talk to federal agents for the wrong thing. That's just unacceptable and it's contrary to federal law."

Los Alamitos is following federal law. A good start for Orange County.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: Orange County may take stand against state's 'sanctuary' laws
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 08:33:54 AM »
The O.C. Sheriff is getting on board as well

The Orange County Sheriff’s Department, whose leadership opposes the new California sanctuary law that limits cooperation with federal immigration officials, announced Monday that it is now providing public information on when inmates are released from custody.

As of Monday, March 26, an existing “Who’s in Jail” online database includes the date and time of inmates’ release – a move agency officials say will enhance communication with its law enforcement partners.

The release date information applies to all inmates, not just those who are suspected of being in the country illegally. But the goal is to assist agents with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE.

“This is in response to SB-54 limiting our ability to communicate with federal authorities and our concern that criminals are being released to the street when there’s another avenue to safeguard the community by handing them over (to ICE for potential deportation),” Orange County Undersheriff Don Barnes said.
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/03/26/in-response-to-california-sanctuary-law-orange-county-sheriff-makes-public-inmates-release-dates/

http://ws.ocsd.org/Whoisinjail/Search.aspx
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 02:28:55 PM »
Maybe common sense will prevail in Ca finally. :thatsright:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 12:24:20 AM »
Ironic that we can thank Obama for suing to stop Arizona when that state tried to enforce its own immigration and border policies.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 03:40:31 PM »
Ironic that we can thank Obama for suing to stop Arizona when that state tried to enforce its own immigration and border policies.

Just goes to show the law of unintended consequences in effect.  They certainly never intended the immigration law to be enforced, but their lawsuit enshrined federal primacy in that realm just prior to a President who made stopping illegal immigration his core campaign promise.