Author Topic: Mrs. Corpio: Basically, this is something that would only upset racist  (Read 4891 times)

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Obama-hating mother****ers:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210223877
MrScorpio (68,603 posts)

Basically, this is something that would only upset racist, Obama-hating mother****ers:
Behold "Judith and Holofernes" by Kehinde Wiley, painted in 2012. You may recognize the style. Yep, it was painted by the same person who just painted President Obama's portrait:

Yeah, that style is tacky. Bad wallpaper/dogs playing poker tacky. But it does not upset me though. It reminds me of the portrait Ted Striker was painting in Airplane only with out the bush style background.

Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline 67 Rover

Re: Mrs. Corpio: Basically, this is something that would only upset racist
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 09:05:45 AM »
What happens when you put a Black light on it?
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 09:08:54 AM »
It will probably glow like a motel bed.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 09:21:42 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210219889

$kinner starts a thread on other works by the artist.  He pastes a bunch of crap that looks like it was done using a paint-by-numbers kit.

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:13:03 AM »
Mooch-chelle's portrait barely resembles her, and BHO's left hand either has one too many fingers or the thumb is on the wrong side.

Here is one of Kehinde Wiley's (painter of BHO's portrait) "artworks":

MrCorpulent should be asked who the real racist is!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 10:14:48 AM »

$kinner starts a thread on other works by the artist.  He pastes a bunch of crap that looks like it was done using a paint-by-numbers kit.

I see Skinner chose not to post the work I posted above. I wonder why .........
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 10:24:09 AM »
BTW, I find this official portrait of Jerry Brown from his first regime rather hideous:

It hangs in the Capitol building in Sacramento, along with portraits of other governors. Anyway, I don't care about skin color when it comes to appreciating portraits.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 10:25:51 AM »
The one of her looks like a poster slapped together in about six hours as a print of a collage of colored paper and somebody else's face.  On the plus side, the face is more attractive than Moose's.

His has a decent facial likeness, but the background looks like some kind of hermit folk-art thing, with the chair floating in space among the leaves.  The shade of the leaves is close enough to the figure's values that it's practically a 'Find the hidden object' picture.

I guess the tacky upholstery-fabric backgrounds are a thing with Black artists but they look stupid to me.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 12:24:57 PM »
... the background looks like some kind of hermit folk-art thing, with the chair floating in space among the leaves.  The shade of the leaves is close enough to the figure's values that it's practically a 'Find the hidden object' picture.

I guess the tacky upholstery-fabric backgrounds are a thing with Black artists but they look stupid to me.

If you check out Kehinde Wiley's artwork via Google images you'll see that some sort of floral/botanical wallpaper-like print is in a large percentage of Wiley's portraits.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 12:30:43 PM »
Who's upset?

They're fugly paintings, but to each their own.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 12:33:00 PM »
Obama's painting should have been of a phone and a pen in a pickle jar full of urine sitting on top of a blank Executive Order.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 12:57:54 PM »
More fitting for Obama:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 01:07:48 PM »
If you check out Kehinde Wiley's artwork via Google images you'll see that some sort of floral/botanical wallpaper-like print is in a large percentage of Wiley's portraits.

As is cutting the heads off of whitey.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 01:30:29 PM »

seems kinda racist since he only only paints blacks.

correction, he does paint the heads of white people decapitated by the blacks

Personally  I think they would have been better served if they used the artist who did this fine work

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:02:27 PM by DLR Pyro »
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »
The one of her looks like a poster slapped together in about six hours as a print of a collage of colored paper and somebody else's face.  On the plus side, the face is more attractive than Moose's.

His has a decent facial likeness, but the background looks like some kind of hermit folk-art thing, with the chair floating in space among the leaves.  The shade of the leaves is close enough to the figure's values that it's practically a 'Find the hidden object' picture.

I mentioned this on TOS:

I showed the painting of mike the wookie to and asked the totally zero political Mrs. FD who it was.  I kid you not, she said "hillary clinton!"

I am still laughing!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 02:10:25 PM »
... mike the wookie ...

Moochbaca? And Choombaca?

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 02:29:22 PM »
If they painted the mooch like real life they would have gottn sued over it looking to much like chewbacka. :-)
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline BamaMoose

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 04:59:18 PM »
For the Big Bang fans:

I think the reason the DUmmies are really upset by the whole discussion about the portraits is that everyone agrees that they suck.  Bipartisan support in just how bad the paintings are.  So in order to be a good Democrat you must like the paintings, because Obama is perfect, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.  Keep playing the race card, it's been so successful so far.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 05:50:06 PM »
I don't know what the boy primitive is talking about, and neither does he. I don't know anyone who is "upset" (as he claims) about the portrait. I know a lot of people who are laughing at how stupid it looks. To me, he's sitting in front of a wall of poison ivy, which seems fitting.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 06:04:51 PM »

Funny you should ask...

Never hire an artist whose trademark is hiding sperm in his work.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 06:18:47 PM »

Just some quality Trump art to even things out
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 08:17:08 PM »
Mister Ross or Rodgers could do better.  Get over it DUmmys.  ESAD as needed.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 09:46:57 PM »
It's always funny to watch Lamond try and sound smart, but he just can never pull it off.

Latest example (all from Lamont's post):

Quote from:
MrScorpio

"Judith and Holofernes" is the title of the painting, so there's no mistake as to what the subject matter is about. It's in the GAWD DAMNED BIBLE! You'd think that a gaggle of right wing nut jobs would figure out that the painting came out of a biblical scenario, right? Wrong. These people are just too stupid and racist to figure any of that that out.

Quote from:
The account of the beheading of Holofernes by Judith is given in the deuterocanonical Book of Judith

Lamond, the boy primitive, believes the "Book of Judith" is "in the **** ****** BIBLE", but it's not. It is not part of the biblical canon. Now, I know the word "deuterocanonical" is a big word with lots of letters, which is something that easily confuses Lamond, but if he were to understand it he could have saved himself the embarrassment. But there's a big difference between protocanonical books and deuterocanonical books and the reason they are categorized as such. Most Bible students could care less about the deuterocanonical books, something that Lamond is too dumb to know why.

But that inability to think thing always gets in the way of the boy primitive.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 07:55:06 AM »
MrScorpio

"Judith and Holofernes" is the title of the painting, so there's no mistake as to what the subject matter is about. It's in the GAWD DAMNED BIBLE! You'd think that a gaggle of right wing nut jobs would figure out that the painting came out of a biblical scenario, right?

USA4MEhas it right. The Book of Judith will not be found in Bibles used in most Protestant churches (the Anglican Communion would be an exception). It wasn't until the 1546 Council of Trent that Judith (and other deuterocanonical writings) was dogmatically accepted as canonical by the Catholic Church. For the sake of a chronological reference point, Martin Luther died in 1546.

In other words, were MrCorpulent to waddle into an Evangelical or Fundamentalist church full of "right wing nut jobs" he would not find the Book of Judith in their "GAWD DAMNED BIBLES", and if he asked about it the only ones likely to have a clue what he's talking about would be those who had been Catholics or had perused a Catholic Bible (like me).

But let's compare the story of Judith (it's not historical) with Wiley's paintings. Judith was a beautiful widow, and Israel was beset by the Assyrians. Judith used her feminine wiles to get into the confidence (but not bed) of Holofernes. Once she gains his trust, she hacks off his head at night and quickly and quietly returns with it to her Israelite city. The Assyrians, seeing their general beheaded, fled. With that quickie summary:

* Jews and Assyrians (or Babylonians) are ethnically similar, separated by time and geography; in Wiley's paintings, the "Judith" figure is black, and the "Holofernes" character is white;

* In the Book of Judith, Judith is a woman and Holofernes is a man; in Wiley's paintings, "Judith" and "Holofernes" are both women;

* Judith's return with the head of Holofernes was secretly and at night (traditional paintings of the story depict her return as being in darkness); in Wiley's paintings the scene is fully lit (this is a minor thing, but it is a departure from the story and traditional paintings that are the supposed inspiration).

Assign whatever percentage of "inspiration" you will to the Book of Judith and older paintings, the departures from the story in Wiley's paintings show an intent to depict whites as blacks' deadly enemies, and white women in particular to be the enemies of black women.

It should not take that much explanation, but no matter how deeply one consider's those two paintings by Wiley, they are clearly (to those willing to admit it) racist.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 09:01:37 AM »
Maybe MrCorpulent should done a little, a VERY little, research before spouting off his racism!

But one already stands out: a tall, elegant black woman in a long blue dress—the canvas is enormous, eight feet by ten feet—calmly staring down the viewer. In one hand, she holds a knife. In the other, a cleanly severed brunette female head. “It’s sort of a play on the ‘kill whitey’ thing,” Wiley says.