Author Topic: Revolutionary War  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Linda

• American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.
Revolutionary War
« on: July 03, 2017, 11:39:34 AM »
I am just curious if anyone on this forum had family members that fought in the Revolutionary war?
I have records from one family member and the last battle he fought in.
I left his name out because I don't know if the DUmmies can read this forum.

Battle of Briar Creek Military Event 3 Mar 1779
The American Revolution in Georgia
Battle of Brier (Briar) Creek
On the same day that Colonel Boyd is defeated at Kettle Creek, British Colonel Archibald Campbell withdraws from Augusta when a large force of North Carolina patriots appear across the river from the Augusta outpost on the Georgia frontier. A planned rendezvous at Wrightsville leads to the capture of some of Boyd's men when Campbell fails to show up and doesn't tell Boyd.
The North Carolina troops under the command of General John Ashe smell blood. With the victory at Kettle Creek Ashe's men are hot on the trail of Campbell's loyalists. Unknown to Ashe, Campbell is re-inforced with men from Savannah under the command of Augustine Provost. Together the British forces total 2,300 men.
Camping at the confluence of Brier Creek and the Savannah River, Ashe's patriots are caught unaware by hundreds of handpicked soldiers and loyalist militia on March 3, 1779. The men from North Carolina, along with Ashe, flee the scene of the battle. Only Colonel Samuel Elbert and his Georgia militia remain. Outnumbered and overpowered, the men defend the camp until almost all are dead. The late afternoon action ends at sunset, with the rebellion forces suffering a humiliating defeat. Almost 400 Americans are killed or captured, while the British only lose 5 men.
Elbert, who will eventually be elected governor of Georgia, is captured and serves time in a British prison until his release in 1781. Less

My relative was captured during the Battle of Briar Creek, which took place near his home, and placed on a British prison ship in Savannah Harbor. He died on board, and his body was dumped overboard
A liberal who is mugged by reality becomes conservative.

Offline thundley4

Re: Revolutionary War
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 12:02:33 PM »
I know  that none on my dad's did. My grandpa and grandma came over in the late 1890's.  On my mom's side, it's very possible, since her ancestors went  back to that time.

Offline Linda

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 12:29:31 PM »
Thanks for responding thundly4. I have been researching my ancestry recently and just found this story. I thought it was interesting and wanted to share it.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 04:26:31 PM »
Thanks for responding thundly4. I have been researching my ancestry recently and just found this story. I thought it was interesting and wanted to share it.

A cousin on my dad's side has traced our roots pretty far back in Sweden.

Offline Linda

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 05:14:26 PM »
That's great. So Far I have traced my line to the man who died at the Battle of Briar Creek, but his wife's side I traced back to the 1500's in England.

On My husband's mother's side I have traced his roots back to 1500's Germany with a notation that his family name has it's roots in Frakia (sp) 420 AD

It is amazing what you can find out when you start searching.

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 09:52:51 PM »
One, in my surname line.

He was a young teen when captured, held, and subsequently released, by (Oneida?) Indians in the pay of Gen. Burgoyne.  THis, in what we now call "upstate" New York.

When he became of (acceptable) age he enlisted as a Private, before the end of the war.

Later, he took a commission as a Captain during the War of 1812, and his son served as a Private.

Copes of his service records, obtained from the National Archives in the 1970s and seen by me at that time, are still in the family's possession.  I don't recall any specifics, unfortunately.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Linda

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 09:57:57 PM »
That is cool EcGeeEye. I love reading the details you did have.

On my local political forum on facebook....one of the members there stated they had a family member that was a signor of the Declaration of Independence.

Offline Linda

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 10:13:10 PM »
This was from a little later in history a  Barbecue and Toasts Barbecue 4 Jul 1812 Screven County, GA

Note: A barbecue consisting of an ox and two deer, with suitable trimmings, on the 4th instant by the worthy Mrs. Mary Ann Bonnell, living in Screven County on the Augusta Road, near Millhaven.
The invitation was general to everyone within a mile of her dwelling, professing Republican Principles.
The number of guest amounted to 130 (54 of which were Mrs. Bonnell's children and grandchildren).
An exibition of the pupils under Mr. W.C. Wylly's tuition took place previous to the barbecue, which did honor to themselves and teacher, and grave great satisfaction to the parents and spectators.

After the exhibition and partaking of the barbecue the following toasts were drank:

By Mrs. Mary Ann Bonnell: "The young men of 1812--May they prove themselves worth of the heritage left them by their fathers of 1776".

By Captain Thomas F. Lovett, Sr. "To our brethern in arms--first to the officers--second to the privates now engaged in our Country's Cause, in front of St. Augustine".

By Captain Bell: "To the Governor of our State, David B. Mitchell, and his band of patriots who distinguished themselves so gallantly at Amelia Island".

By Captain William C. Willy: "May the blessed will of the Supreme Being be with and protect our gallant officers and privates now engaged in our County's Cause--May they all act with that patriotic valor which becomes a republician in the time of action".

By Thomas F. Lovett: "To the young officers and soldiers in the American Army--May they fight the battles of their country in the time of war, and when gentle peace returns, enjoy teh smiles of the fair of Georgia".

By Mrs. William Bryan: "To our Naval officers and soldiers, Commander Roger, Commodore Decatur, together with the rest of our Naval Officers: and my patriotic valor reign in the breast fo evey American until the time is no more".

By Mrs. Thomas Mils: "To the President, Vice-President, and to such part of the members as are possessed of republican principles".

By John F. Lovett: "To the memory of General Green".

By Mrs. Robert Lovett: "Let virtue and valor reign through nations yet unborn of the republicans".

At each toast, a platoon fired and three cheers were given.

The Lovett Clan belong to me....LOL...I guess we have been Republican's a long time.