Author Topic: large-proboscised anti-rustican primitive gives up gourmet coffee  (Read 2385 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2827771

Oh my.

The large-proboscised primitive, the one who doesn't like rural people.

Cyrano  (1000+ posts)       Wed Feb-06-08 09:36 PM
Original message

Over $1,300 bucks a year for coffee?? 

That's what I'd been spending either at Starbucks or some other "gourmet" coffee shop.

There I was, a full-time devout liberal, standing in line every morning and too many noontimes, waiting for the privilege of throwing away money. And one day it occurred to me that there are too many people in the world who don't make that much in a year.

My liberal guilt got to me and I started buying coffee in the supermarket, making it myself, and taking a thermos full of it along with me.

It hasn't helped those who earn too little, but it sure as hell has helped me to stop hanging up so quickly on charity calls, or throwing away "junk mail." Much of the money I was literally pissing away, now goes to organizations like Doctors Without Borders.

Perhaps I'm not saving the world, but at least I've assuaged my "liberal guilt." And I just might be making a tiny bit of difference with those contributions.

Think about it the next time you're standing there waiting to pay far too much for a hit of caffeine.

It's a big blazing bonfire, but these primitive comments confuse me:

Lex  (1000+ posts)       Wed Feb-06-08 09:39 PM
Response to Original message

5. Starbucks coffee sucks so bad they'd have to pay ME to drink it.

Over-roasted beans are their specialty apparently. No wonder people have to put all the sugar and whipped cream and vanilla syrup in it to stand it. Ugh.

marmar  (1000+ posts)       Wed Feb-06-08 09:40 PM

6. I kicked my $20 a week soy latte habit at 'Bucks.... 
 ... and honestly, if it wasn't for all the soy milk taking the bite out of their over-roasted beans, their coffee would taste like a cup of dirt water.

Now, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that Starbucks is one of those politically-correct businesses, like Ben & Jerky's Ice Cream in Vermont, and that primitives supported Starbucks.

What's up with that?

And there's a lot of primitives finding things wrong with their politically-correct coffee haus.

In case anyone's curious, here's a short comment from the primitive who posted the longest comment, ever, to be seen on Skins's island yesterday, in that beefing bonfire:

Lorien  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-06-08 10:37 PM

20. I have a friend who is still renting a crappy duplex at age 46

he and his wife have long dreamed of owning a home, but they don't have enough squirreled away for a downpayment. He spends roughly $7 a day on Starbucks chai. Even at only 300 day of buying chai per year, that's $2,100.00. They've been in the crappy duplex for 10 years. Had they set aside his chai money alone, they would have had 21,000.00 for a down payment by now. Add her Starbucks habit into the mix and it would have brought them to about $34,000.00. The little things really add up! When I mentioned this to my friend he became somewhat depressed about it-but he still has two chais each day.

One can always immediately identify primitives trying to be hip, cool, trendy, with-it, when they use the Ukrainian word chai instead of the English word tea.

Stupid primitives, trying so desperately to be cool.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
  • Yes, everything you heard about me is true
Re: large-proboscised anti-rustican primitive gives up gourmet coffee
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 08:56:56 AM »
What could be more 'liberal trendy' than admitting doing something as stupid as spending $4 a cup for coffee then denouncing it as bourgeois and decadent. They say they then give the money to a worthy cause. Bullshit I say! More likely they would just buy more dope or vaseline.

I like good coffee but refuse to pay Starbucks exhorbitant price. But on the other hand the local supermarket had a bunch of Starbucks house blend coffee marked down to half price and I snapped it right up. But a whole bag of that was less than a single cup at one of their cafes.

I have never gone into a Starbucks on my own, it has always been at the urging of someone else. One time I was with my son in a Barnes & Noble and we got coffee because I had a Starbucks gift card given to me by a co-worker at Christmas. However, they wouldnt honor it there. Seems the Starbucks in B & N are not owned by Starbucks but by Barnes & Noble. I was tempted to ask if they sold gift cards that they would not honor.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Offline Flame

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:03:03 AM »
I'll admit it....I LIKE Starbucks!  But I don't do coffee...I get their Frappacino...chai...yum!   But I only do it about 4 times a year, as a treat.

I want to know how those DUmmies could afford $4 a day for coffee in this ** economy!!

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:22:51 AM »
I don't do Starbucks either--not because I don't necessarily like them, but the fact there are so few of them here.  Yeah, I know--we're the only place on the planet that doesn't have them on every corner.

I instead prefer to buy my own beans (Kimo Bean Peaberry--100% Kona) is my particular fave.  Perfect way to start the day.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 10:26:23 AM »
I like the mental image of a duplex-dwelling renter-DUmmie stopping by the bank every morning for ten years with a savings account deposit slip, a five, and two ones.   Then passing Starbucks on the way home, glancing with a smile, and picturing a cottage with white picket fence in his head.  

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 12:57:44 PM »
Perhaps I'm not saving the world, but at least I've assuaged my "liberal guilt." And I just might be making a tiny bit of difference with those contributions.

The only viable remedy for liberal self-loathing is:

No need to thank me - it's what I do.
Please spread the word to all of your psycho-DummyFriends.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 01:06:50 PM »
I am like you flame...I do starbucks a few times at the end of the year when the holiday flavors come out.

Lately I've been getting the Dunkin Donuts coffee...they have the big big bag of it for 15 something at Sam's club...beats out the little bag price at Kroger's by about 7 dollars for the same amount...good stuff too. yum

Offline Lauri

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 01:20:12 PM »
Frank,

Chai is actually a type of black tea with vanilla and some other spices in it - its awesome, very sweet and my favorite soy drink.

That said, you can buy Chai in boxes (just like Starbucks uses!) and make it at home in the microwave..

We bought an espresso machine and my husband makes his coffees here every morning and that is probbaly the cheapest way to do it. However, you gotta shell out the money for the machine and they arent inexpensive. But we figured it paid for itself in about six months. The DU idjits make it seem like someone is being forced into a place to buy coffee...  :whatever:

Offline Dixie*Darling

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 01:57:15 PM »
Maxwell House, 2 sweet 'n low and store brand powdered creamer.
Anything else is just not coffee to me.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 02:11:20 PM »
Maxwell House, 2 sweet 'n low and store brand powdered creamer.
Anything else is just not coffee to me.

Yuban, Creamora, and light sugar....otherwise... :hammer: