Author Topic: ThomWV is back...  (Read 1835 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: ThomWV is back...
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 03:14:35 AM »
That's awful if he did that, I'd love to see that thread.

Finally.

Found it.

Being a moderator's hard work.  It was about two years older than I thought it was.

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,10592.0

ThomWV  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Jul-28-08 03:34 PM
Original message

Did I do wrong?

Last week one evening we were at my son's place where my sister-in-law was visiting. My wife and I were there, my son and his lady as well as their child, and my son's two daughters from an earlier relationship. We sat down to a really nice dinner when SIL says "Anyone mind if I say Grace?" I said "Yes!"

My wife, son and I are all athiests, my son's lady (born and raised in India) is Hindu, and the children have been kept as far away from Christianity as my powers have allowed. I thought it was an insult to everyone there for her to babble christian nonsense over the food and said so.

Right or wrong?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 03:41:10 AM »
It was about two years older than I thought it was.

I went back to the original campfire; I can't find the bitter old Vermontese cali primitive there, so she must've torn the mountain man primitive apart at another Christianity-bashing campfire, not this one.

The vast majority of the primitives called the mountain man primitive on the carpet for his asshole attitude, but there were also these:

Warpy Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Mon Jul-28-08 04:12 PM
Response to Reply #1

38. I will tolerate anyone who tries to tolerate me and notice I didn't say they had to be successful.

However, insisting on public prayers with unwilling people is intolerant.

I have no objection to people praying before they eat. However, when they demand the rest of us be a part of it, they're going to find out they don't run my dinner table.

I will request they do so silently, then move on.

They can run their own dinner tables as they like.

babylonsister Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Mon Jul-28-08 04:21 PM
Response to Reply #38

48. She was being tolerant by asking; the OP wasn't in the way he responded.

It wouldn't have bothered me and I'm not at all religious. I also wouldn't have felt like this person was trying to 'force' anything on me. JMO.

Warpy Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Mon Jul-28-08 05:17 PM
Response to Reply #48

71. Bullshit. As a relative, she knew the score

She just wanted to priss around and show everybody how Christian she is.

I'd have told her to do it silently, thanks, but that's at my table.

NNN0LHI Donating Member (1000+ posts) Mon Jul-28-08 06:25 PM
Response to Reply #29

106. I tried that once in a restaurant with another couple

We were eating at a buffet and as they were eating and after their woo woo to the gods they proceeded to fill up their pockets with candies and such from the ice cream bar.

It was all you can eat not all you can steal.

When they began filling their pockets my wife and I got up and walked out and left them inside doing their Christian thing.

Don

Vinca Donating Member (1000+ posts) Mon Jul-28-08 05:51 PM
Response to Original message

85. I would have said -

"Knock yourself out, pass the peas." Tolerance means she can pray and you can eat.

ThomWV Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Mon Jul-28-08 08:27 PM
Response to Reply #113

128. All I said was "Yes", the 'babble christian nonsense' was in my mind

I find prayer offensive in general but when there are children around I think it is unacceptable. There is no excuse for indoctrinating children with rubbish like prayer; one might a well perform a VooDoo ritual before dinner as far as I'm concerned.

annabanana Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Mon Jul-28-08 06:50 PM

118. Tell her "Go ahead, but please don't do it out loud"

that would do it

ThomWV Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Mon Jul-28-08 08:30 PM
Response to Reply #126

129. Would you mind telling me just what a "Blessing" is? You imply it has substance, which it does not

To accept a 'blessing' would be to accept the validity of the religion behind it - which is something that I think is utterly unacceptable, particularly when impressionalbe children are present. I will not have my grand children indoctrinated in fairy tales as if there was something valid about them or the rituals associated with them.

Dreamer Tatum Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Wed Jul-30-08 10:12 AM

202. No, you did GREAT, making the decisions for everyone in someone else's home

GIANT high-five for you, you beacon of liberal tolerance.

The last one was probably sarcasm.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 06:55:36 AM »
ThomWV Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Mon Jul-28-08 08:30 PM
Response to Reply #126

129. Would you mind telling me just what a "Blessing" is? You imply it has substance, which it does not

To accept a 'blessing' would be to accept the validity of the religion behind it - which is something that I think is utterly unacceptable, particularly when impressionalbe children are present. I will not have my grand children indoctrinated in fairy tales as if there was something valid about them or the rituals associated with them.

He doesn't want his grandchildren indoctrinated in "fairy tales", and yet he preaches about the virtues of an all encompassing government "god".   :mental:

This seems to be the position taken by a lot of "educated" liberals.  I know a lot of them with college degrees that are not only atheists, but also complete idiots incapable of thinking.  Not just lacking in common sense, ANY sense.

Welcome back from the dead, Thom.  Hope your recovery is quick and complete.

I WILL be praying for you.

Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 07:34:01 AM »
He doesn't want his grandchildren indoctrinated in "fairy tales", and yet he preaches about the virtues of an all encompassing government "god".   :mental:

Welcome back from the dead, Thom.  Hope your recovery is quick and complete.

I WILL be praying for you.

Actually, the old grump the mountain man primitive can go **** himself.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 07:44:46 AM »
Actually, the old grump the mountain man primitive can go **** himself.

That too!   :lmao:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2011, 08:06:50 AM »
The pic of what they cut out of him is damn nasty, and cancer is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, but I couldn't help thinking thatDUmmies equate that big, nasty, malignant tumor with an unborn child.

Of course they do.

Both (tumor or child) are nothing more than masses of cells.   :mental:

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2011, 08:31:59 AM »
Wow! that's a bonfire.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2011, 08:42:39 AM »
ThomWV Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Mon Jul-28-08 08:27 PM
Response to Reply #113

128. All I said was "Yes", the 'babble christian nonsense' was in my mind

I find prayer offensive in general but when there are children around I think it is unacceptable. There is no excuse for indoctrinating children with rubbish like prayer

How times change!

ThomWV Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Nov-19-11 10:44 AM
Original message
I'm back now - and thank you all very much again. (warning - horrible photo attached)

This is sort of a personal post; a thanks to all those who wished me well and offered up their thoughts and prayers to me

I don't believe in prayer at all, but something dam sure worked. I'm not kidding one single bit about this.

Maybe you won't be so quick to judge anymore, and realize that a majority of Christians are good people.

Atheists need to ask themselves, would they only do that at a table where a Christian made that request? would they say that to a Muslim? a Buddhist? 
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2011, 09:09:02 AM »
How times change!

Maybe you won't be so quick to judge anymore, and realize that a majority of Christians are good people.

Atheists need to ask themselves, would they only do that at a table where a Christian made that request? would they say that to a Muslim? a Buddhist? 

No, I doubt it. I looked at the old thread and I noted that his Hindu daughter in law is likely more then considered when she puts idols of Vishnu around or wants to make dedications in the spirit of her faith to the same. Make no mistake, most American non-believers who behave as he does have a gripe with Christianity ONLY. They really reveal their own personal demons by their behavior as well as their own personal grudges. An example of the opposite of that behavior are the non-Christians on this board. They do no believe, however the fact that someone else does and asserts their rights to show that faith does not bother them. Too many liberals like ThomWV forget that the 1st amendment protects believers from people like HIM, not the other way around. And he is wlecome to be a flagrant asshole, but he shouldn't sweat it then when someone decides to mirror his own intolerance back to him when it comes to personal gatherings.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2011, 12:22:42 PM »
No, I doubt it. I looked at the old thread and I noted that his Hindu daughter in law is likely more then considered when she puts idols of Vishnu around or wants to make dedications in the spirit of her faith to the same. Make no mistake, most American non-believers who behave as he does have a gripe with Christianity ONLY. They really reveal their own personal demons by their behavior as well as their own personal grudges. An example of the opposite of that behavior are the non-Christians on this board. They do no believe, however the fact that someone else does and asserts their rights to show that faith does not bother them. Too many liberals like ThomWV forget that the 1st amendment protects believers from people like HIM, not the other way around. And he is wlecome to be a flagrant asshole, but he shouldn't sweat it then when someone decides to mirror his own intolerance back to him when it comes to personal gatherings.

Negative treatment of Christians was prophesied and it's going to get worse.

BTW, you guys and gals should watch "Hereafter". Great movie.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site