Author Topic: Omaha Steve Steps in Farmer's Fudge  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Re: Omaha Steve Steps in Farmer's Fudge
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 05:15:48 PM »
Another thread on this,
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1899967

Denninmi Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Thu Sep-08-11 12:47 PM
Response to Original message
1. Well, that will give the far right plenty of ammunition.

They're itching for any excuse to destroy unions.

Sucks when its demonstrated that "right wing talking points" are true, doesn't it?  :rotf:

sabrina 1 Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Thu Sep-08-11 03:34 PM
Response to Reply #1
17. Why do we have to care about what the far right 'thinks'?

They don't think. They declared a war on workers, now they are getting what they asked for. I imagine they weren't expecting the 'other side' to fight back. Far from destroying Unions, they have only strengthened them by giving US the ammunition we needed to show how little they care about this Country.

If they can't take the heat, they should not have created it. This is what happens when you declare war on workers. Someone should have told them.

:whatever:

former9thward Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Thu Sep-08-11 04:59 PM
Response to Reply #17
26. You did read this was one union against another didn't you?

Of course she didn't.

Odin2005 Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Thu Sep-08-11 12:59 PM
Response to Original message
3. The RW morans have alreadt started the "UNION THUGS" crap.

:banghead:

Once again sucks when we are right, doesn't it?

badtoworse Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Thu Sep-08-11 01:14 PM
Response to Reply #3
8. How would you characterize them?

If not thugs, what are they?
   Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

pintobean Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Thu Sep-08-11 01:20 PM
Response to Reply #8
9. Frustrated and angry

They are losing their livelihood. That doesn't excuse their actions, but I understand their reasons.

So if 0bama wins and a bunch of teabaggers start vandalizing, will you understand their reasoning too? Of course we won't do that though, we leave that shit up to you goons.

badtoworse Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Thu Sep-08-11 03:47 PM
Response to Reply #15
20. Hey, I belonged to a union once, but it didn't work out.

Edited on Thu Sep-08-11 04:37 PM by badtoworse
Early in my career, I belonged to AFSCME, DC 37. When the shop steward (or whatever he called himself) told me to slow down because I making the older guys look bad, I decided they weren't for me. I've done WAY better without a union than I ever would have as a union member.

pintobean Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Thu Sep-08-11 04:04 PM
Response to Reply #20
21. So, you have a negative view of unions based on a few words

spoken by one person from one local of one union. Brilliant.

badtoworse Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Thu Sep-08-11 04:43 PM
Response to Reply #21
22. There's more to it than that.

I've had other experiences with unions that reinforce my negative opinion. I don't see any point in going into details - we wouldn't agree and I don't feel like getting into a pissing match.

pintobean Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Thu Sep-08-11 04:51 PM
Response to Reply #22
24. Then, maybe you should have kept your anti-union opinion to yourself

rather than scattering it around a Democratic message board.

Bluebear Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Thu Sep-08-11 05:43 PM
Response to Reply #24
27. Solidarity!

Broderick Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Thu Sep-08-11 05:52 PM
Response to Reply #27
33. For which Union?

The one staffed at the place or the union destroying property and taking hostages?

:rotf:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 05:51:54 PM »
I'm not the one who posted it.  I knew a few guys who worked in Long Beach and LA.  Holy crap, and I thought I was making out like a bandit when I was working 7-12's on a cutover.
Sorry, twenty years old (Aug '91) my bad. I knew it was dated but I didn't realize it was that dated. Anyway my point was that these guys really don't have a legitimate gripe about pay as compared to what the average American s earning.

This is more current~

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_money_does_a_longshoreman_earn

If these guys force a shutdown of the west coast ports as they have done in the past when president Bush had to step in and order them back to work by invoking the Taft-Harley Act I don't see Soetoro doing the same. He won't let a good crisis go to waste. Like we saw with the BP spill I predict he will stall and stall and stall some more to allow the situation to become as blown out of proportion as possible and inflict as much damage generally on the economy as he can possibly get away with.

http://www.freedomworks.org/publications/the-stranglehold-on-american-commerce

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 06:01:20 PM »
Sorry, twenty years old (Aug '91) my bad. I knew it was dated but I didn't realize it was that dated. Anyway my point was that these guys really don't have a legitimate gripe about pay as compared to what the average American s earning.

This is more current~

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_money_does_a_longshoreman_earn

If these guys force a shutdown of the west coast ports as they have done in the past when president Bush had to step in and order them back to work by invoking the Taft-Harley Act I don't see Soetoro doing the same. He won't let a good crisis go to waste. Like we saw with the BP spill I predict he will stall and stall and stall some more to allow the situation to become as blown out of proportion as possible and inflict as much damage generally on the economy as he can possibly get away with.

http://www.freedomworks.org/publications/the-stranglehold-on-american-commerce

I believe the container business began preparing for just such a shut down about ten years ago. 

I didn't check your updated link but here is some info from ten years back when the West Coast Longshoreman made number eight on the top ten overpaid list:

8) West Coast Longshoremen

In early 2002, West Coast ports shut down when the longshoremen's union fought to preserve very generous healthcare benefits that would make most Americans drool. The union didn't demand wage hikes, because its members already were making a huge paycheck. West Coast dockworkers earn an average of $117,600 for handling cargo, according to the Pacific Maritime Association, their employer. Office clerks who log shipping records into computers will earn $139,000. Foremen who oversee the rank-and-file members will take home an average $177,000.

Unlike their East Coast counterparts, who compete directly with non-union ports in the South and Gulf of Mexico, the West Coast stevedores have a lock on Pacific ports. Given their rare monopoly, they can seriously disrupt commerce -- and command exorbitant wages, even though their work becomes more automated and less hazardous every year.

http://www.engineersalary.com/overpaid.asp

and for those interested in the reason for the NAFTA Superhighway...
Quietly but systematically, the Bush Administration is advancing the plan to build a huge NAFTA SuperHighway, four football-fields-wide, through the heart of the U.S. along Interstate 35, from the Mexican border at Laredo, Tex., to the Canadian border north of Duluth, Minn.

Once complete, the new road will allow containers from the Far East to enter the United States through the Mexican port of Lazaro Cardenas, bypassing the Longshoreman’s Union in the process. The Mexican trucks, without the involvement of the Teamsters Union, will drive on what will be the nation’s most modern highway straight into the heart of America. The Mexican trucks will cross border in FAST lanes, checked only electronically by the new “SENTRI” system. The first customs stop will be a Mexican customs office in Kansas City, their new Smart Port complex, a facility being built for Mexico at a cost of $3 million to the U.S. taxpayers in Kansas City.

{snip}

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=15497

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline GCBill

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 06:38:56 PM »
As a computer technician for a public school district, I was not allowed to transport computers from the schools to the repair center when they needed bench repair. Instead, we had to fill out a shipping order and wait. So instead of a repair that could have been completed within hours, or perhaps the next day, we had to wait for up to a week to get it to the bench, then wait for shipping again.

The result of this is teachers being unable to follow their lesson plans. Secretaries getting backlogged. Principals unable to play solitaire and minesweeper. And everybody looking at us like we had two heads. Finally, with three unions against one, we were allowed to do the moves, but we had to write up reports on why an ASAP move was required.
Capitalism is based on self-interest and self-esteem; it holds integrity and trustworthiness as cardinal virtues and makes them pay off in the marketplace, thus demanding that men survive by means of virtue, not vices. It is this superlatively moral system that the welfare statists propose to improve upon by means of preventative law, snooping bureaucrats, and the chronic goad of fear.
 - Alan Greenspan, The Assault on Integrity (1963)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 06:45:40 PM »
As a computer technician for a public school district, I was not allowed to transport computers from the schools to the repair center when they needed bench repair. Instead, we had to fill out a shipping order and wait. So instead of a repair that could have been completed within hours, or perhaps the next day, we had to wait for up to a week to get it to the bench, then wait for shipping again.

The result of this is teachers being unable to follow their lesson plans. Secretaries getting backlogged. Principals unable to play solitaire and minesweeper. And everybody looking at us like we had two heads. Finally, with three unions against one, we were allowed to do the moves, but we had to write up reports on why an ASAP move was required.
Unbelievable.  I do that for a private company and regularly drive between the main business office and the customer care center 15 miles away, usually 2-3 times a week.  It's rare that I'm at the call center every day but if things break over there, I am obligated to show up within 24 hours.

We do have distributors and production plants that don't have on-site IT support, so I do a lot of shipping and make a lot of phone calls.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 11:44:48 PM »
Okay, question.

Wouldn't this be a crime, malicious destruction?

Of course it's a crime, but union thugs are pretty much immune from arrest while conducting their thuggery, due to their kinship with the Fraternal Order of Police. I've seen that with my own two beady eyes.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 08:05:13 AM »
Of course it's a crime, but union thugs are pretty much immune from arrest while conducting their thuggery, due to their kinship with the Fraternal Order of Police. I've seen that with my own two beady eyes.

Fixed it for you.  No pretty much about it, it is written into labor law.  Faternal orders of any type generally have a chilling effect  from what I have seen, there is just no way around it, but, in the case of unions, they do have a special exemption as I posted earlier. 

http://www.thelaborers.ne...lence_union_privilege.htm

< watch this space for coming distractions >